BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #23
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

My wife's lease of a 528 is about up and we are going to an X540e. This is after trying many other alternatives. Audi Q5 is very attractive, but it's front-biased weight distribution offends me. Volvo 90, and new 60 could be a winner, but I'm not going to buy a Chinese car. New Land Rover Velar looks really good, but when I went with off-road driving group when I lived in Australia, my Toyota Land Cruiser always ended up towing back one of the Rangies. The Hondas and Mazdas are probably the smart buys, but I'm not going to a non-prestige brand. I'd prefer the size of the X3, but in several back to back drives and 2-day loaners, the X3 is a very fine SUV, while the X5 is a limosine in SUV clothing. It will ford to 20", which is the only SUV characteristic I need in Houston (as compared to crossing the Simpson Desert, the Gunbarrel "highway" and the Birdsville track in Australia--for which the Toyota LC is unequaled).
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #24
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
So most of those with the A/C cooling issues all have the rear climate?
My thinks yes as I'm pretty certain the rear climate is the culprit. My 2014 did not have rear climate and the A/C was set and forget. My 2017, does have RC and the push of cold air to the front is definitely reduced. I find that I'm constantly adjusting and never comfortable enough to forget about it.

The solution of course is to manually turn off the RC from iDrive settings which does make things better. The rub is that the car will sometimes revert back to RC "on" for some reason.

Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #25
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Can someone please tell me what a wedding car is??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
My thinks yes as I'm pretty certain the rear climate is the culprit. My 2014 did not have rear climate and the A/C was set and forget. My 2017, does have RC and the push of cold air to the front is definitely reduced. I find that I'm constantly adjusting and never comfortable enough to forget about it.

The solution of course is to manually turn off the RC from iDrive settings which does make things better. The rub is that the car will sometimes revert back to RC "on" for some reason.

Appears it was a bonus not to order my 2017 with Rear Climate.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #27
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
It's a car I used in my wedding. Very literally that's all that is. My wife and I ride to church and reception in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #28
Trinta
Rep
Drives: X5

Moved from an E70 to a F15 one and a half year ago and I find every litle detail improved vs the already excellent E70 version.
Cant really resonate to any of the complaints in this post. Everything works very well - my favourite being the BMW spotify app with the Harmon & Kardan sound system - FANTASTIC!
And my F15 has a sunroof, which the F15 didnt have and I was affraid it could increase the noise level, but it´s not the case at all.
Well done on BMW for the continuous improvement!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #29
Pastor Passum
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
So you have been so disappointed in your X5 you have dumped it and purchased an Audi.

Why spend the time on an X5 forum continuing your commentary on the X5?

I would think you would be on an Audi forum regarding your new car.
^^^^^^^
Agreed...Just stirring the pot I suppose
      08-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinta View Post
Moved from an E70 to a F15 one and a half year ago and I find every litle detail improved vs the already excellent E70 version.
Cant really resonate to any of the complaints in this post. Everything works very well - my favourite being the BMW spotify app with the Harmon & Kardan sound system - FANTASTIC!
And my F15 has a sunroof, which the F15 didnt have and I was affraid it could increase the noise level, but it´s not the case at all.
Well done on BMW for the continuous improvement!
Agree. It would be tough to go from an F15 back to an E70.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #31
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I've always found the audis to be so boring on the inside. Although the 2017/2018 are promising. The Q7 still looks like a rolling Pringles can. X5 is a big improvement with the F15 and I have Zero issues with my AC and I have the rear climate control.

Now if my darn little money compartment thing to the left of the steering wheel could just stop breaking that would be wonderful.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #32
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

We own both the X5 and an Audi Q5.
Audi as mentioned, has definitely a quieter cabin and a plusher ride.
But that plush ride is at a cost of handling when compared to the X5.

And the Q5 is tiny compared to the X5. I have to use a step ladder just to wax the roof of my X5, yet when driving it does not feel huge.

The Audi is also a turbo, but you'd never know it.
One thing I noticed last week when driving the Audi is you can't even compare transmissions. With the X5, you don't even know the tranny is shifting and using the shift for sport mode is smooth and makes an SUV a ball to drive.

Using the Audi's sport mode was cumbersome to get into and feels like they added it as an afterthought because BMW had it already.

Worse part of the Audi is the tranny especially when approaching a light you can feel it downshifting, I'm not saying it's slamming through the gears, but with the X5/X6 you can't notice the shifting unless you are looking to feel it. Maybe the Audi Q7 with their 8 speed tranny is different now.

I'll test drive a 2018 Q7 because I buy my cars a year or two old and I've got another 2.5 years to go, but I doubt that I'd switch to Audi (my wife's current SUV). I'm also not a fan of the Q7 fugly grill. It looks to me like a giant Catfish getting ready to swallow up my boat. I might have to wait for a 2019, if they get rid of that grill.

The Audi (currently owning both) rides and feels like an old man's Mercedes, which is exactly what my Wife was looking for and she knew she found her SUV in the first few seconds that she test drove it . . . she loves it.

But I'm having way too much fun driving the X5 and look forward every day just for a reason to drive my X5 over and above my 10 min each way trips to the office and back.

Yesterday, drove with my boat (only a 15 foot aluminum rig, but still towing 1,600 lbs) and trailer hooked up for the 1.5 hours north to North Lake George in NY. Highway then mountain roads. I had to keep looking back to make sure the boat was still behind me. Had two occasions where I had to pass local YupYup's on the mountain road when the broken lines came up and even with a 1/2 pedal after shifting into sport mode . . . passing with a boat and trailer with this X5 was simply breathtaking.

I even commented to my Wife while on the while highway doing 78 mph with it's stock BMW suspension and even with the added weight of the Invisihitch plus pulling my 1600 lb rig . . . this large SUV felt like it was floating!

Driving my Wife's Audi compared to the X5 . . . not for me. I'm not ready for the depends, just yet.

And to the OP as others have said . . . why are you still lurking here? What kind of reaction do you expect to hear from a forum of mostly proud X5/X6 fanboys?

And with your concern over mileage, enjoy that electric thats surely in your future . . . Buh Bye

Last edited by expidia; 08-28-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #33
JL Fitzpatrick
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive 35d

Having to recently replace a Touareg TDI that uses the Audi developed cheating diesel I'm in the opposite situation. I'm done with Audi without ever owning one. While I really enjoyed the Touareg the X5 35d is a stellar replacement. And it's a fitting one considering the University that discovered Dieselgate ran an X5 diesel as their third vehicle and it met emissions standards. Install all the necessary expensive equipment and program it to work. What a concept.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #34
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Regarding noise levels Audi Q5 vs BMW X5:

2015 Audi Q5 TDI 70dB
2014 BMW X5 35i 66dB

Just to explain what that difference means: 10dB difference is twice the level of noise. 4dB difference like we have in this case is a very noticeable difference (Audi in cabin noise level sucks probably because it's a diesel, I bet gasoline engine would be quieter)

That's all folks...

http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
We own both the X5 and an Audi Q5.
Audi as mentioned, has definitely a quieter cabin and a plusher ride.
But that plush ride is at a cost of handling when compared to the X5.

And the Q5 is tiny compared to the X5. I have to use a step ladder just to wax the roof of my X5, yet when driving it does not feel huge.

The Audi is also a turbo, but you'd never know it.
One thing I noticed last week when driving the Audi is you can't even compare transmissions. With the X5, you don't even know the tranny is shifting and using the shift for sport mode is smooth and makes an SUV a ball to drive.

Using the Audi's sport mode was cumbersome to get into and feels like they added it as an afterthought because BMW had it already.

Worse part of the Audi is the tranny especially when approaching a light you can feel it downshifting, I'm not saying it's slamming through the gears, but with the X5/X6 you can't notice the shifting unless you are looking to feel it. Maybe the Audi Q7 with their 8 speed tranny is different now.

I'll test drive a 2018 Q7 because I buy my cars a year or two old and I've got another 2.5 years to go, but I doubt that I'd switch to Audi (my wife's current SUV). I'm also not a fan of the Q7 fugly grill. It looks to me like a giant Catfish getting ready to swallow up my boat. I might have to wait for a 2019, if they get rid of that grill.

The Audi (currently owning both) rides and feels like an old man's Mercedes, which is exactly what my Wife was looking for and she knew she found her SUV in the first few seconds that she test drove it . . . she loves it.

But I'm having way too much fun driving the X5 and look forward every day just for a reason to drive my X5 over and above my 10 min each way trips to the office and back.

Yesterday, drove with my boat (only a 15 foot aluminum rig, but still towing 1,600 lbs) and trailer hooked up for the 1.5 hours north to North Lake George in NY. Highway then mountain roads. I had to keep looking back to make sure the boat was still behind me. Had two occasions where I had to pass local YupYup's on the mountain road when the broken lines came up and even with a 1/2 pedal after shifting into sport mode . . . passing with a boat and trailer with this X5 was simply breathtaking.

I even commented to my Wife while on the while highway doing 78 mph with it's stock BMW suspension and even with the added weight of the Invisihitch plus pulling my 1600 lb rig . . . this large SUV felt like it was floating!

Driving my Wife's Audi compared to the X5 . . . not for me. I'm not ready for the depends, just yet.

And to the OP as others have said . . . why are you still lurking here? What kind of reaction do you expect to hear from a forum of mostly proud X5/X6 fanboys?

And with your concern over mileage, enjoy that electric thats surely in your future . . . Buh Bye

That's a great comment in whole.

But the one thing that sticks out to me, is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. It's a big vehicle. It's drives small. It's tight and in control. Minimal body roll and it just feels right. It's does not feel big.

Great observation.
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      08-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #36
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Regarding noise levels Audi Q5 vs BMW X5:

2015 Audi Q5 TDI 70dB
2014 BMW X5 35i 66dB

Just to explain what that difference means: 10dB difference is twice the level of noise. 4dB difference like we have in this case is a very noticeable difference (Audi in cabin noise level sucks probably because it's a diesel, I bet gasoline engine would be quieter)

That's all folks...

http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/
Sorry buddy 3dB is double the difference. So, the Audi is just over twice as loud.

69db = 2x amplitude wave than 66db. And so on.. sorry I'm a nerd.

Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
      08-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #37
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Sorry buddy 3dB is double the difference. So, the Audi is just over twice as loud.

69db = 2x amplitude wave than 66db. And so on.. sorry I'm a nerd.

Oh wow - I stand corrected then! That's a huge difference tho - not sure if diesel is contributing to the noise or maybe louder tires. One thing I know that Alex from the link I posted is a very straightforward and honest person and has no money coming his way favoring one brand over the other.

OP and expidia say that Audi is quieter Not that I don't trust them, but a factual measurements are more telling the truth than my opinion or someone else. I'm assuming there are many variables that can affect perceived sound level - that's why i think a real device measuring sound cabin noise in dB is more reliable, but there's always something unaccounted
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #38
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

At least from my experience with the old Q5 and Q7, they both were noisy and had a stiff ride. Might be different with the newer models.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Oh wow - I stand corrected then! That's a huge difference tho - not sure if diesel is contributing to the noise or maybe louder tires. One thing I know that Alex from the link I posted is a very straightforward and honest person and has no money coming his way favoring one brand over the other.

OP and expidia say that Audi is quieter Not that I don't trust them, but a factual measurements are more telling the truth than my opinion or someone else. I'm assuming there are many variables that can affect perceived sound level - that's why i think a real device measuring sound cabin noise in dB is more reliable, but there's always something unaccounted
Im only giving hands on experience between the two SUV brands which is not an accurrate comparison because my X5 is huge and my wife's Q5 is a lot smaller, two years older but definetely less cabin noise than my X5.

Last edited by expidia; 08-30-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-29-2017, 08:27 PM   #40
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I have a 2017 now with sunroof and thibk its louder than my 2014 F15 but there are also many improvements. CarPlay is dodgy and it can get frustrating to make it work (especially when kids demand a song)
carplay is beyond dodgy..it downright sucks. I haven't gotten it to consistently work for more than three days at a time
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #41
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
At least from my experience with the old Q5 and Q7, they both were noisy and had a stiff ride. Might be different with the newer models.
Must have been older models. My wife has a '14 Q5 and I've yet to ride or drive in a vehicle that has as plush of a ride.

Yet, I'm still looking for a X5 to replace my A5.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #42
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1966 View Post
Must have been older models. My wife has a '14 Q5 and I've yet to ride or drive in a vehicle that has as plush of a ride.

Yet, I'm still looking for a X5 to replace my A5.
That sounds good. I've had a lot of past issues with Audi but I'm really liking the new A5/S5, really considering getting that after my time with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #43
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLZ View Post
That sounds good. I've had a lot of past issues with Audi but I'm really liking the new A5/S5, really considering getting that after my time with the X5.
My biggest issue with Audi is it's owned by freak'in Volkswagen!

A few weeks ago I saw my wife's exact car out my window parked across the street. I store my boat in a garage on the other side of the street.

While I was walking over to the garaged boat I looked closer at what I thought was a Q5 and turns out it was a crummy Tiguan (even that model's name pisses me off).

Now it will always look to me that they just like they pulled a Q5 badge off the Audi and slapped on the VW badge and the Tiguan name . . . So much for any Audi status IMO!

Same thing happened to me after we bought two Saab 9-5's. We buy Swedish made famous cars (Born from jets) and then GM buys them. Totally destroyed an iconic name. They put Opel engines in their 6 cyl line and eventually Saab goes bankrupt followed by GM. Now some Chinese company owns the Saab name.

This alone will makes me loyal to BMW.

Last edited by expidia; 09-02-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
artem123248.00
      09-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #44
motuman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
So you have been so disappointed in your X5 you have dumped it and purchased an Audi.

Why spend the time on an X5 forum continuing your commentary on the X5?

I would think you would be on an Audi forum regarding your new car.
It can be helpful to people that are surfing the forums, considering the purchase of say and e70 X5 vs a F15 X5, or an X5 vs an X3.

If also potentially helpful to shoppers. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer X5 to be used for towing in the desert Southwest. I will definitely be checking out HVAC airflow on my next test drive. (not something I would normally have worried about on a cool, foggy day at the coast)
Appreciate 1