BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Drove an M Sport

Test drove an m sport today and it was very impressive. Looks much better in person, pics don't do it justice. Car is sleek and muscular, and the overall shape and dimensions are almost identical to the E70, perfect evolution.

I also highly recommend the sport auto that comes with the m sport. I have it on my 335 and driving it on the m sport has changed my mind and pushed me over the top to an m sport. Makes the same N55 that the e70 had feel faster and torquier, very smooth and quick shifting.

I knew what to expect from the electric steering from my wife's F25 and it was very similar, light for a BMW (compared to those with hydraulic steering) but still tighter than a Mercedes or Lexus. I will say it felt a bit heavier than the X3, probably because the car itself is heavier. That and it was more direct, precise than the X3's steering.

Overall, very pleased and will be ordering one this week.
Name:  14e18730.png
Views: 3742
Size:  679.7 KB

Name:  162a8a10.png
Views: 3652
Size:  757.6 KB

Name:  161ecd90.png
Views: 3731
Size:  788.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8248.JPG
Views: 3284
Size:  306.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8246.JPG
Views: 2804
Size:  261.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8251.JPG
Views: 2766
Size:  244.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8252.JPG
Views: 2819
Size:  244.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8253.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  284.7 KB

Last edited by chrisny; 10-17-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

I ordered the xdrive50i with msport line as well. Which engine did you get to test out? If it was the 50i, how did the pickup feel?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I want the sport transmission so bad but I love the xLine look and really don't care for the Msport look. Argh. First world problems to be sure. I'll probably get the xLine with dynaminc handling and just punt on the paddles.

Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Test drove an m sport today and it was very impressive. Looks much better in person, pics don't do it justice. Car is sleek and muscular, and the overall shape and dimensions are almost identical to the E70, perfect evolution.

I also highly recommend the sport auto that comes with the m sport. I have it on my 335 and driving it on the m sport has changed my mind and pushed me over the top to an m sport. Makes the same N55 that the e70 had feel faster and torquier, very smooth and quick shifting.

I knew what to expect from the electric steering from my wife's F25 and it was very similar, light for a BMW (compared to those with hydraulic steering) but still tighter than a Mercedes or Lexus. I will say it felt a bit heavier than the X3, probably because the car itself is heavier. That and it was more direct, precise than the X3's steering.

Overall, very pleased and will be ordering one this week.
Thank you Chrisny. Your evaluation of looks is reassuring to me. Your comment on actual looks is consistent with others who have similarly shared their views being photogenic lacking. The elongated hood is more pedestrian friendly. I am also pleased that steering is better than the three referenced . Always good to buy newest technology, as it does change so fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It was a 35i (N55 engine) and while I'm sure the 50i is an absolute monster, the 35 with that transmission is no slouch. I haven't driven with the standard transmission, but I don't even use the paddles in my 335, the transmission is that smooth and quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Thank you Chrisny. Your evaluation of looks is reassuring to me. Your comment on actual looks is consistent with others who have similarly shared their views being photogenic lacking. The elongated hood is more pedestrian friendly. I am also pleased that steering is better than the three referenced . Always good to buy newest technology, as it does change so fast.
Don't get me wrong, the steering is definitely a lot lighter than the E70 X5, I've just already made that adjustment with the F25 X3.. I do wish BMW offered the VSS (Variable Sport Steering) on this that I have on my 335. Keeps it light at low speeds and tightens up as you get faster and hit turns. The F15 does lack that feature, but I was very pleased otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

what did you think of the m sport 19" rims? did the truck look like it needs the 20's?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
what did you think of the m sport 19" rims? did the truck look like it needs the 20's?
I actually changed my order back to 19" rims after reading a lot of info on them. I currently drive a car with 20" performance tires and it is terrible in the winter. From what I've read, 20" and above are summer performance tires and are not that great in the winter. Seeing as how I live in chicago, and our winters can be rough, im sticking with 19". Just what ive read, may want to look into it!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
I drove the msport as well today. Car is faster, lighter, and more agile. Felt more like a sports car than a truck. The steering wheel is a little loose, however the cars reaction/feedback isnt loose, just the effort on the wheel compared to previous hyraulic. It does tighten up,some in sport amd sportplus modes but not a ton. I stilll think active steering will help this a little as well bc the changing of the gesr ratio will require less turn of the wheel at lower speeds and tighten it up on hwy.

Looks wise, from the rear u can walk by and not realize its the new model. It is subttle enough, but not to much of a change. I side is great and the sport seats are very very comfortable. They are padded a little better than previous version. I think worth the money to go msport vs xline w co forts seats imo.
Technology inside is cool and the ambient lighting is standard not part of the led pkg. liftgate wont close w remote as delivered in usa. It can be reprogrsammed though.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman26 View Post
I drove the msport as well today. Car is faster, lighter, and more agile. Felt more like a sports car than a truck. The steering wheel is a little loose, however the cars reaction/feedback isnt loose, just the effort on the wheel compared to previous hyraulic. It does tighten up,some in sport amd sportplus modes but not a ton. I stilll think active steering will help this a little as well bc the changing of the gesr ratio will require less turn of the wheel at lower speeds and tighten it up on hwy.

Looks wise, from the rear u can walk by and not realize its the new model. It is subttle enough, but not to much of a change. I side is great and the sport seats are very very comfortable. They are padded a little better than previous version. I think worth the money to go msport vs xline w co forts seats imo.
Technology inside is cool and the ambient lighting is standard not part of the led pkg. liftgate wont close w remote as delivered in usa. It can be reprogrsammed though.
Looks wise, who is the winner between xLine and M Sport?
Also, I think we can replace black kidney grill ( m sport)after market with titanium one similar to x50.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I liked them a lot. With the M Sport, you do get the flared fenders, so the 19's do look a little small, as they are not the massive 315's in the rear that the 20's are, so they don't quite fill the wheel well. I'm a bit torn on this, as I know the 20's would look better, perfect really. But the car is for my wife, not me, so I'll probably opt for the 19's and the extra sidewall they offer to protect against potholes and curbs. Overall, I would definitely say 20's would look better, no question about it, but the 19's still look great and good enough for me to skip the 20's. I was originally planning on getting an x-line with the 20's, as I don't like the x-line 19's. The M sport 19's are very similar to the M sport 18's on my 335 (which I liked better than the 19" option on my 335...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Rx View Post
I actually changed my order back to 19" rims after reading a lot of info on them. I currently drive a car with 20" performance tires and it is terrible in the winter. From what I've read, 20" and above are summer performance tires and are not that great in the winter. Seeing as how I live in chicago, and our winters can be rough, im sticking with 19". Just what ive read, may want to look into it!
Any summer tire in the winter is a bad idea, period, not just for snow but the cold weather. There are tons of debates about AWD vs RWD with snows, all-seasons, etc all over this forum, but I've never heard anyone argue that any size wheel is ok with performance SUMMER tires in the winter. I had a '99 328i RWD with 17" summer tires and a 2002 Audi A4 with Quattro and 17" summer tires and they both sucked in the snow too. Put 16" snows on the A4 and it was a monster in the snow. That said, I think 20's are too big even with snow tires. Even all seasons won't be great in snow, the composition is just too hard in cold weather, they get like concrete and slide when you try to stop in snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well said. I thought it felt lighter and more nimble too. I didn't actually try it, but my CA said the remote does close the trunk as well as open, and pointed to a button on the FOB. Again, I didn't actually try it though so he could be wrong (they haven't even had their training on the car yet). I thought the rear looked so much smaller than it is, so sleek you could almost think it's the size of an X3 (as long as one isn't in the same line of vision..). Sitting inside and looking back at the back seat, felt exactly the same to me as in an E70.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
Looks wise, who is the winner between xLine and M Sport?
Also, I think we can replace black kidney grill ( m sport)after market with titanium one similar to x50.
You can definitely swap out grills pretty inexpensively, people will get M performance grills and throw stock silver and chrome ones on ebay... But I actually like the black on the M sport better, personally.

I was against the M sport until today. The big, non-functioning air ducts turned me off. But the fake part doesn't look as bad in person, probably not noticeable to people who aren't looking for it, and when I saw a Luxury Line (no x-line's at the dealership yet), it just looked too plain and boring. I think the x-line will look far less boring than the Luxury, but from what I can tell based on seeing the M sport in person, to me it wins on looks. Add that Sport Auto and it definitely has changed my mind, M Sport all the way.

One other thing I forgot to mention, the engine sound of the F15 35i seems better than an E70 35i. I didn't drive them back to back, but from what I recall, didn't sound as good (not that it was bad either).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
You can definitely swap out grills pretty inexpensively, people will get M performance grills and throw stock silver and chrome ones on ebay... But I actually like the black on the M sport better, personally.

I was against the M sport until today. The big, non-functioning air ducts turned me off. But the fake part doesn't look as bad in person, probably not noticeable to people who aren't looking for it, and when I saw a Luxury Line (no x-line's at the dealership yet), it just looked too plain and boring. I think the x-line will look far less boring than the Luxury, but from what I can tell based on seeing the M sport in person, to me it wins on looks. Add that Sport Auto and it definitely has changed my mind, M Sport all the way.

One other thing I forgot to mention, the engine sound of the F15 35i seems better than an E70 35i. I didn't drive them back to back, but from what I recall, didn't sound as good (not that it was bad either).
Appreciate the feedback. No substitute for seeing them in person and doing a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, I just looked at some pics of an M Sport with the 20's and at least in these pics, I think I like the 19's better. Not the size, I still think 20's would be the best proportion, not over done, not under done.. But the style of these I don't think I like as much anyway. So given the choice of these 19's compared to these 20's, I choose the 19's based on both looks and practicality.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisny; 10-14-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
1) the 19s looked fine just not as bad a$$ as 20s. They do look fine though
2) i tested the remote it doesnt close the gate. I tried to hold it down (how it works for eu in the videos) also tried other pushing patterns. Doesnt work. The lock button on the gate is pretty cool for locking and closing gate at same time
3) value of msport is worth the money to me vs xline w comfort seats. Paddles are noce, sport plus is nice, different look from all the others that will be on road is nice and you get the cool key
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, I just looked at some pics of an M Sport with the 20's and at least in these pics, I think I like the 19's better. Not the size, I still think 20's would be the best proportion, not over done, not under done.. But the style of these I don't think I like as much anyway.
I've noticed some variations in the pictures with the msport package. Some of the cars are showing the M above the side vent and some are not! Im wondering if only the 50i get the extra plaque?!?

You can see the difference between the two pictures you posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Pretty sure there was no badge on the 3.5::above the vent. Badge was on the rims. You dont get the true m color stitching on the sterring wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure there was no badge on the 3.5::above the vent. Badge was on the rims. You dont get the true m color stitching on the sterring wheel
definitely wasn't, but if I recall there may have been some sort of badge delete listed when he printed the list of options the demo had. Personally, I don't like it anyway so may need to research to make sure it doesn't come on our car...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This thread of the guy who already got his M Sport also shows the 20" wheels on it. Pics are a little blurry, can't tell if there is an ///M badge over the side vent or not, but there does look to be something there. His is a 50i.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900237
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

My vin lookup states badge delete as well. I kinda like the m badge but had no say in the matter. I think for USA, badge is removed as default.
      10-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Can we have it added from factory? Dealer can always get you one
Appreciate 0