BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
BradATL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i M-Sport (sold)

Lease return with aftermarket trailer hitch

I installed a Stealth Hitch on my leased 2017 X5. The lease term will end soon so I'll be returning the vehicle in a couple of months.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the expense and hassle of having it removed. The shop that originally installed it charges $350 for removal, and the whole process would eat up several hours (driving to the shop, sitting around while they remove it, and driving back home).

Does anyone have firsthand experience (or reliable second-hand knowledge) with returning a leased vehicle with an after-market hitch installed? Does BMW charge any "penalty" fees for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Joe-T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

I have no experience, but I would think that if you just pulled the receiver the dealer wouldn't even notice it was installed. The benefit of the stealth hitch is that it's "stealth" and can't be seen from the back unless you crawl under.

"Stealth Hitches are fully hidden when not in use. No more bruised shins from contact with the receiver of other hitches, all while maximizing your towing capacity, maintaining your crumple zones (unlike other hitches), and maintaining the vehicle’s original appearance."

If we weren't on opposit ends of the country, I'd gladly pay for removal to swap onto my X6,
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Deezulbeem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 35d

If you were in Dallas I’d do it for free if I could have it. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Perhaps just ask your dealer?
      12-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradATL View Post
I installed a Stealth Hitch on my leased 2017 X5. The lease term will end soon so I'll be returning the vehicle in a couple of months.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the expense and hassle of having it removed. The shop that originally installed it charges $350 for removal, and the whole process would eat up several hours (driving to the shop, sitting around while they remove it, and driving back home).

Does anyone have firsthand experience (or reliable second-hand knowledge) with returning a leased vehicle with an after-market hitch installed? Does BMW charge any "penalty" fees for this?
Quote:

Just put all the adapters in the storage compartment under the rear floor. The dealer won't notice and not charge you anything.
Appreciate 1
Hellrot240.50
      12-31-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

They pay more attention to what is missing. Since this is stealth, they will hardly notice it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:

Do you ever make your way down to LA or Vegas? If so I'd deal with removing it in exchange for the hitch.
Appreciate 0