BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

How to determine Suspension options like 2VF and DHP on used F15

I am trying to locate some used 2014 and 2015 X5 50i on the common used car websites. How can I determine if the car has DHP or the 2vF suspension(M Sport)? I've read through the tread "BMW F15 X5 Suspension Options Chart and Comparison to Competitors" I want to make sure I get a used X5 50i with the best overall suspension. it appears based on that tread and chart that Dynamic Handling Package is the best overall. I am finding half the used car dealers are clueless on these options and just list loaded. I see when purchasing the car new it was easy to choose but now shopping used is there a specific sign, button in the interior or way for me to decipher the 2 vs standard suspension when browsing cars? Like did the DHP come with specific set of wheels ?

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Run the VIN thru BMWvin.com which will list exactly what that exact vehicle came with.
      08-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Yes, run the VIN and you'll get all options listed.

P.S. I'm a fan of DHP and regret it for not having on my x5 50i. Chassis and handling is very important, especially for 50i that is a bit heavier and needs every bit of help from suspension it can get. Also, we 50i owners tend to be more enthusiastic when it comes to spirited driving and we tend to often push the car to extremes. Tuned 50i does 1/4 in 12.16s (yours truly)- faster than a stock X5M. While X5M has better suspension. So I'm just saying we can really benefit from DHP.

That been said, keep in mind that DHP is expensive technology to fix if it leaks or brakes and we've seen couple cases here on forum DHP to leak requiring replacement. Also, keep in mind that rear air suspension has tendency to wear bags every 40-50k miles (depending on driving style and load). In terms of reliability and future possibility of expensive repair - you need to decide where you feel comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Mike Whitney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2008 M5, 2002 M3+

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2024 BMW M2  [0.00]
As others have said, use the vin decoder. I decoded dozens of vins before finding the 2015 50i that had the stuff I wanted.

From the pricing guide PDF:

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package $4,500
---
2VM Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension
2VP Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization
7SZ Dynamic Handling Package

I can tell you that "7SZ" doesn't (regularly?) show up for ZDH, but 2VM and 2VP always do in the Vin lists. Those are the two to look for.

The active roll stabilization is really amazing ... really eliminates roll.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post
As others have said, use the vin decoder. I decoded dozens of vins before finding the 2015 50i that had the stuff I wanted.

---

I can tell you that "7SZ" doesn't (regularly?) show up for ZDH, but 2VM and 2VP always do in the Vin lists. Those are the two to look for.

I really appreciate the feedback! Just so I understand this correctly is 2VM + 2VP = DHP ?

I ran one vehicle I was interested in it and it showed under vehicle options

S2VMA Adaptive suspension package 'Comfort'
S2VPA Adaptive suspension package 'Dynamic'
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post

---

I really appreciate the feedback! Just so I understand this correctly is 2VM + 2VP = DHP ?

I ran one vehicle I was interested in it and it showed under vehicle options

S2VMA Adaptive suspension package 'Comfort'
I was also extremely confused when trying to decifer whether or not DHP was present. I'm still pretty confused but wanted to share want I was able to find earlier this month.

The 2014 I picked up had the following packages:

P337A M Sports package
S2VFA Adaptive M suspension

I must say that I have been pretty surprised how much I like this set up. Wife and kids were in the back seat and asked why it was so uncomfortable. Changed to comfort mode and they were happy. Easy to switch back into sport+ when they stop noticing.
Appreciate 0