BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #23
agnesgam
Rep
Drives: BMW F16

Car has been in the garage for a week now! I am loosing my patients! They read the codes and drove it 3 miles during this week. Today I got an email that I need me transmission for the price of £6500

They did not even check if the ATF lever is correct never mind dropping the oil pan to see how it looks. I am taking my car back. What a waste of time. Going to another garage tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:21 PM   #24
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

sorry for the outcome ... the reality is that some places just want to replace parts instead of fixing the problem.
as I said this sounds an hydraulic pressure issue ... but requires people which knowledge and goodwill to get it done.
hopefully will find one
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:43 AM   #25
agnesgam
Rep

I went to pick the car today from the garage to take it to a different place.

It is unbelievable how fast thia problem progressed! I was told to warm the car up before I start driving it otherwise I have no chance. So I did. Car changed 1 to 2 with a massive delay. Felt like it took @2 sec the jump itself from 1 to 2. Immediately drivetrain malfunction and I have just 1st gear available.

Case is closed now. New gearbox ordered from ZF! £6500 poorer but hopefully that will be end of the matter!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:58 AM   #26
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

do you hear any type of grinding/metallic noise which can indicate gear/bearing issues?
At the end was identified the real root cause?
Do they need the core? If not I would be very interested to evaluate the mechatronics of the failed transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:13 AM   #27
agnesgam
Rep

No grinding, nothing.
Still no reverse!
Car engages drive with a strong kick. Delays shifting terribly. Goes to max 2nd gear and the error come up goes to limp mode and I am stuck on 1st gear.

He said he warmed the car up on idle the other day. Took over 1h to do so. Started driving it and error popped up. He did the reset and car drove fine after that. I asked if he thinks it is down to AFT pressure. He said lever is fine. It looks to him like mechatronics have issue. I had 4 weeks of reading and searching for solutions. All problems related to gears “ gears not plausible” ended up with a new gearbox.
Appreciate 0