BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Valve Tick 50i

so i have very loud valve tick...doesnt every one else with 50i have it?

it has gotten louder and louder at idle, out side the vehicle it actually sounds scary like a ticking time bomb.

anyone have insight as to the issue with the N63TU engines?

is it possible to request a valve clearance check at my next service.due in 1300 per service indicator...im just under 12,000 miles.

i really wish i could just get in there and correct valves myself, but there is no way they are in spec...

i have driven my baby hard, but taken care of her as well. i just hate the sound of the valves and i know they cant be in spec
      08-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

My 50i is just over 15,000 miles and I do not hear any valve tick. I'm sure if you took the car in I see no reason why that they wouldn't service it. I'd tell them that I'm not in for an oil changed just concerned about the valve noise. They just might changed the oil also to see if it would help with the noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

my N63TU is so quiet that I have left the vehicle w/o turning it off a few times
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
my N63TU is so quiet that I have left the vehicle w/o turning it off a few times
are you sure you turned it on in the first place??? mine was never that quiet!!
      08-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

take a video of it and upload it to youtube.

My 550 didn't have any noticeable valve tick
      08-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

2015 X5 50 with 3K miles. Quiet as a mouse
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster View Post
so i have very loud valve tick...doesnt every one else with 50i have it?

it has gotten louder and louder at idle, out side the vehicle it actually sounds scary like a ticking time bomb.

anyone have insight as to the issue with the N63TU engines?

is it possible to request a valve clearance check at my next service.due in 1300 per service indicator...im just under 12,000 miles.

i really wish i could just get in there and correct valves myself, but there is no way they are in spec...

i have driven my baby hard, but taken care of her as well. i just hate the sound of the valves and i know they cant be in spec
What makes you think it's a valve? There are lots of moving parts in our engines. In any event, if it is a valve, that's a very big deal and is a dealer job. I don't think the valves can be adjusted in your motor.

My 2011 550i was stupid quiet.
      08-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

being a motorcycle enthusiast, ive done many valve jobs, and have heard many valves out of whack and then once back in spec.. it really does sound like valves, but as stated, we do have quite the array of moving parts, i can not be sure....

the vehicle was in fact low on oil...required two quarts of Castrol 5w30.

once the new oil was in, it did quite the sound down, but not really noticeable enough to warrant oil as the cause.
      08-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Hmmm... oil wouldn't affect valve noise since these are overhead cams and two quarts low (9 qt system) is not critical unless you were on a track. Only two reasons for valve noise: out of adjustment (cam follower) or bent valve. Let us know what the dealer says.
      08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Hmmm... oil wouldn't affect valve noise since these are overhead cams and two quarts low (9 qt system) is not critical unless you were on a track. Only two reasons for valve noise: out of adjustment (cam follower) or bent valve. Let us know what the dealer says.
i wouldnt assume low oil would create valve noise, but i assume filling in the voided space with oil would dampen the sound emanating from the motor....like tapping a tin can empty or full of water.....

i believe they may be slightly out of adjustment just because how hard i truly drive this vehicle....no vehicle is made to hit the track daily, and if they are, parts are replaced every track day. if i drive it like i live on a race track, i would only anticipate things will start to fall out of spec faster then BMW would anticipate a non M vehicle being driven like an f1 or hoonigan
      08-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i wouldnt assume low oil would create valve noise, but i assume filling in the voided space with oil would dampen the sound emanating from the motor....like tapping a tin can empty or full of water.....

i believe they may be slightly out of adjustment just because how hard i truly drive this vehicle....no vehicle is made to hit the track daily, and if they are, parts are replaced every track day. if i drive it like i live on a race track, i would only anticipate things will start to fall out of spec faster then BMW would anticipate a non M vehicle being driven like an f1 or hoonigan
Valves get oil on them as a result of oil sprayed within the valve train - they do not sit in oil, otherwise you would have a motor that smoked because the oil seal on the valve stem is meant to loosely scrape oil and leave a slight film for lubrication (along with the bronze material used in the valve guide material). The primary reason for oil up there (in the valve train = cam, cam chain, cam bearings, cam followers, valves) is to lubricate the bearings, rotating mass and the chain, as well as well cooling the assembly.

The M series, AMG series and nearly every Porsche made can hit the track daily or for a weekend events and be driven home, and rarely need to be rebuilt within 50,000 miles with heavy track usage (a testament to their build quality that the vast majority of the owners rarely approach or realize). One of the issues running our cars on the track is that you run the risk of overspeeding by choosing the wrong gear (going past the redline), thereby floating a valve which will tap the top of a piston. The mechanical properties of valve springs go away within a couple thousand RPM of redline and cannot rebound fast enough to seat the valve - baszinga, the hit the tops of pistons.

Any word from the dealer?
      08-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Valves get oil on them as a result of oil sprayed within the valve train - they do not sit in oil, otherwise you would have a motor that smoked because the oil seal on the valve stem is meant to loosely scrape oil and leave a slight film for lubrication (along with the bronze material used in the valve guide material). The primary reason for oil up there (in the valve train = cam, cam chain, cam bearings, cam followers, valves) is to lubricate the bearings, rotating mass and the chain, as well as well cooling the assembly.

The M series, AMG series and nearly every Porsche made can hit the track daily or for a weekend events and be driven home, and rarely need to be rebuilt within 50,000 miles with heavy track usage (a testament to their build quality that the vast majority of the owners rarely approach or realize). One of the issues running our cars on the track is that you run the risk of overspeeding by choosing the wrong gear (going past the redline), thereby floating a valve which will tap the top of a piston. The mechanical properties of valve springs go away within a couple thousand RPM of redline and cannot rebound fast enough to seat the valve - baszinga, the hit the tops of pistons.

Any word from the dealer?
im versed in engine mechanicals and tech, and ive delved finger first into many engine builds,

all im saying is valves get tappy when out of spec. all i want to do is correct the clearances which i would gladly do if i had the time and a backup daily.

i just couldnt imagine with the tappy sounds coming from my engine, that everything is in working order, i know out of spec valves isnt anything to go crazy about, but for the life of the vehicle, i would prefer to correct any issue there may be.
tappy valves/noises on a cold startup i understand, tappy valves/noises at operating temp, when everyone says their N63TU is silent, is worrisome.
      08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #13
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
im versed in engine mechanicals and tech, and ive delved finger first into many engine builds,

all im saying is valves get tappy when out of spec. all i want to do is correct the clearances which i would gladly do if i had the time and a backup daily.
I'm surprised no reply has mentioned this previously, but there are no adjustments possible for valve clearance, your engine uses hydraulic tappets. The most common cause of valve gear noise in engines with hydraulic tappets (which includes all automotive engines I can think of) is a faulty tappet. This can be from oil sludge build up, unlikely given the low miles on your vehicle, or a mechanical fault with the tappet. Alternatively, as already mentioned, a bent valve.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
I'm surprised no reply has mentioned this previously, but there are no adjustments possible for valve clearance, your engine uses hydraulic tappets. The most common cause of valve gear noise in engines with hydraulic tappets (which includes all automotive engines I can think of) is a faulty tappet. This can be from oil sludge build up, unlikely given the low miles on your vehicle, or a mechanical fault with the tappet. Alternatively, as already mentioned, a bent valve.
wait... our valves can not be adjusted for clearance? if thats the case then i am misled in our engine design...need to find that n63tu engine design brochure...put in the requested 2 quarts of oil but still have tapping..and if its not the valves then...