BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
tongx051
Private
Rep
Drives: x3

Tailgate does not close all the way

I picked up my 2016 x5 a few days ago. I realized my tailgate doesn't close all the way. I attached a photo. Have you guys seen this problem before?

J
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
LCW
Rep
Drives: 2013 328, 2016 X5

Is the bottom tailgate securely shut?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
ElectricChair
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Definitely something's wrong with your tailgate. Perhaps it just needs some adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Prepare for a long fight. My X15 is still has back gate knocking. 4 visits after.
      08-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

There should be no long fight here. Just an inward adjustment to the latch/hook by the dealer.
      08-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Could be very easy tailgate latch alignment that requires small cover removal and loosening of 2 screws

or

Either the limit switches, the parts contacting them or the stop pads are slighly out of spec.

Should be an easy fix
Attached Images

08-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Could be very easy tailgate latch alignment that requires small cover removal and loosening of 2 screws

or

Either the limit switches, the parts contacting them or the stop pads are slighly out of spec.

Should be an easy fix
Awesome E90Fleet!
I was going to take pics in the garage last night, but the lighting was wonky. These diagrams leave no doubt about how/where to make the adjustments.
OP, if you adjust yourself, make sure to use painter's tape to mark the original position. A SMALL adjustment goes a LONG way, so tweak in tiny amounts is my suggestion.
      07-08-2021, 01:21 AM   #8
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Any DIY? Running into the same problem with one side. Dealer quoted me about $1000 for parts and labor - replace and install rear liftgate gas strut assembly.

Last edited by Bobby_Drake; 07-08-2021 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Not sure if you have soft close.

But this happened to me like 2 years ago. It would close, and then open some because the soft close mechanism cable broke back there. I bought one on eBay, took the trim apart, and replaced it. I also fixed the cable routing because the way it's routed, it creates friction with the tubing that hold it in place 🤦🏽🤷🏽…

Ever since then, no issues.

If you do not have soft close, it can be that

-your bolt above (the one with the round rubber stop) is too far out and needs to be adjusted lower.

-your tailgate latch needs to be adjusted.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Prepare for a long fight. My X15 is still has back gate knocking. 4 visits after.
Knocking? Like noise?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:21 AM   #11
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post

But this happened to me like 2 years ago. It would close, and the. Open some because the soft close mechanism cable broke back there. I bought one on eBay, took the trim apart, and replaced it. I also fixed the cable routing because the way it's routed, it creates friction with the tubing that hold it in place …

-your bolt above (the one with the round rubber stop) is too far out and needs to be adjusted lower.

I do have soft close but the issur is with the driver side. Passenger side closes and is flush. driver's side latches but not flush. Gonna look into Ebay and DIY.

thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:25 AM   #12
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Quote:

But this happened to me like 2 years ago. It would close, and the. Open some because the soft close mechanism cable broke back there. I bought one on eBay, took the trim apart, and replaced it. I also fixed the cable routing because the way it's routed, it creates friction with the tubing that hold it in place …

I do have soft close but the issur is with the driver side. Passenger side closes and is flush. driver's side latches but not flush. Gonna look into Ebay and DIY.

thanks for the tips.
Ok, then it has to be one of the two or both that I said. I would start with the two that are just above the tail lights.

You might have to reach under with a small wrench to tighten/un-tighten. Just make sure you give the same spin space on both sides.

If still not flush, then it's the bottom latch.

Also, if your latches then you shouldn't need a new soft close mechanism. You'll know when you do because you'll hear it catch but immediately release and try once or twice again before giving up. The noise will give it away that you need a new mechanism.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #13
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongx051 View Post
I picked up my 2016 x5 a few days ago. I realized my tailgate doesn't close all the way. I attached a photo. Have you guys seen this problem before?

J
How did you end up fixing this?
      01-09-2024, 07:49 AM   #14
questionable_taste
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335d; 2017 x5d

Quote:
Also, if your latches then you shouldn't need a new soft close mechanism. You'll know when you do because you'll hear it catch but immediately release and try once or twice again before giving up. The noise will give it away that you need a new mechanism.
Apologies for reviving such an old thread... I stumbled upon this forum searching the web for perhaps this exact problem.

Background: 2017 X5d having some issues with the rear gate after it was repaired from being rear ended.

Symptom: It has intermittent issues successfully closing all the way. It seems like it closes all the way, and then it sorta makes a noise & then bumps itself slightly open just like the the picture comparing the driver's car to the dealer's car.

Question: Does this sound like an alignment issue or a part issue? I've taken it to my local speciality shop a couple times now, and I'm just about to the point where it is worthwhile to DIY if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:03 AM   #15
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable_taste View Post
Apologies for reviving such an old thread... I stumbled upon this forum searching the web for perhaps this exact problem.

Background: 2017 X5d having some issues with the rear gate after it was repaired from being rear ended.

Symptom: It has intermittent issues successfully closing all the way. It seems like it closes all the way, and then it sorta makes a noise & then bumps itself slightly open just like the the picture comparing the driver's car to the dealer's car.

Question: Does this sound like an alignment issue or a part issue? I've taken it to my local speciality shop a couple times now, and I'm just about to the point where it is worthwhile to DIY if possible.
I sent you a pm
Appreciate 0