BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

Equalizer settings for HK

Could someone please advise on ideal eq settings. I know I should play around with them but maybe someone has found the "sweet" spot. I am looking for best clarity with a nice "tight" base. I am trying to get that thump that u feel inside. Can this be achieved with the Harmon kardon
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Could someone please advise on ideal eq settings. I know I should play around with them but maybe someone has found the "sweet" spot. I am looking for best clarity with a nice "tight" base. I am trying to get that thump that u feel inside. Can this be achieved with the Harmon kardon
Hi. I guess the settings will depend on the type of music you like to play.
Does it not have pre-set options e.g. Rock, Blues, Soul, Vocal etc etc
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

i listen mostly to blues and soul.
i did not come across any pre-set setiings.
am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly
i listen mostly to blues and soul.
i did not come across any pre-set setiings.
am i missing something?
No. There are no preset equalizer settings. I wish there were. With all the engineering that goes to fitting cars with these systems I think they could go one further and provide some settings from the audio and acoustic engineers.
      03-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Just wondering something : why do people always says "Harmon Kardon" ?? This is "Harman Kardon", a brand founded by Sidney Harman and Bernard Kardon ! :P
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
djarvik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35D M-sport

I don't buy the "settings will depend on the type of music you like to play". It is always about the "room" and your equipment.

So saying that, there MUST be an optimal setting for the HK in the F15 cabin. Sure, some may find certain settings more pleasing then others, but as far as clarity and reproduction concerned, there has to be a "sweet spot". From there we can slightly adjust to our liking.

I have been playing around to avail at the moment. The best I got is a pattern like so:

Starting with 0. I find that it is more beneficial to reduce the frequencies rather then boost them. Boosting introduces unnecessary noise, you can simply increase the volume if you want more impact.

These are with Logic 7.

Anyone has any settings they can share?
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

When HK worked with BMW to design the new sound system for the F15, would they not have created the default setting to be the optimal sound setting for this car?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

I would like to see the settings from a professional calibration using a sound meter. From what I remember from HK threads of other BMW models there was a consensus that reducing the 200 setting was good for truer sound reproduction.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I picked this off of the 335i board. Don't know if this helps or not.

I just spent a good part of an hour taking some quick measurements with a tone generator and SPL meter. Here a few bits for HK owners to chew on while I continue to get to know the system.

The two major issues in the bass region are the following...

1. There is a deep hole in the response centered at 130Hz. I suspect this hole is from the midrange drivers in the doors not being able play this low of a frequency with any authority.

2. Arguably just as significant of a problem is a big rise in the response just above 200Hz. I can't help but think this is a byproduct from an attempt by the designers to deal with the first issue mentioned.

As an overarching theme, I'd suggest experimenting with seeing how much "boost" you can apply to your 100Hz slider, and how much "cut" you can apply to 200Hz slider before it's too much for your taste and listening material.

Notes on the EQ and tone controls:

EQ has approximately 10dB of boost/cut per band.

As expected, the EQ bands are fairly "low Q." This means they are broad; less-than pinpoint adjustments. For example, the 500Hz slider still boosts/cuts a 1kHz tone about 7dB.

I believe the Bass level adjustment is a very broad "shelf" type, effecting all bass frequencies. This is how you adjust frequencies below the 100Hz band in the EQ.

My measurements and listening were done at a standstill, but this is how I have my car set to start tomorrow's day in the office (my car).

I'm not completely married to these settings but this is how my HK is set for now.

Treble flat
Bass +1
L7 on

100Hz +5
200Hz -7
500Hz +1
1kHz +1
2kHz flat
5kHz -1
10kHz -1
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Used the above settings except I thought it sounded better...

100 hz +4
200 hz -4

Cleaned and tightened the bass.... But middle range still sounds "muddy" to me. Of course it depends on the material and input.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Would the smaller cabin space make a difference in sound from the 335i to the X5?

What are everyone else's HK settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Anyone else have settings to share?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #13
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Have the boys at CNET do it. They're the best
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
MJX5
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Cabin size and speaker layout will absolutely make a difference on your settings. You really have to get someone who can do a professional calibration just for the X5.

I personally listen to all rock and hip hop.. those are the settings I am looking for. Love this thread! I too believe the system right now is muddy when I listened to it at the dealership. Waiting for mine to arrive new next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I've the question as you can see above and it appears that not many people want to share their preferences and it is probably due to that everyone is different with sound.
I've been playing with my settings and to me for each type of music the optimum settings is different per genre. So it is difficult to find one setting for all music types.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
MJX5
Private
Rep

Does anyone have a tone generator or just a good ear out there?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

When HK worked with BMW to design the new sound system for the F15, would they not have created the default setting to be the optimal sound setting for this car? Why would you have to buy a tone generator and SPL meter to make the sound better? Why would you think the "CNET boys" would do a better job than the "Harmon Kardon and BMW boys" in designing the default installation and sound specs for the this car?

If it is not to your taste, just monkey the equalizer settings to what your personal hearing likes. However, I very much doubt anyone else but BMW and HK know how to set up the defaults for this car as a default for a broard spectrum of sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #18
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep

This is a good thread and yes although people's tastes are different it's good to know what others use. The one thing I find really good is putting some of the sound to the rear as you gain a more "amphitheatre" type sound feeling if you do this and you IMO can hold more bass without it getting overbearing.

For me:

Logic 7 on

Bass +2

Treble Flat

Rear +2

Will revert with EQ settings
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
When HK worked with BMW to design the new sound system for the F15, would they not have created the default setting to be the optimal sound setting for this car? Why would you have to buy a tone generator and SPL meter to make the sound better? Why would you think the "CNET boys" would do a better job than the "Harmon Kardon and BMW boys" in designing the default installation and sound specs for the this car?

If it is not to your taste, just monkey the equalizer settings to what your personal hearing likes. However, I very much doubt anyone else but BMW and HK know how to set up the defaults for this car as a default for a broard spectrum of sound.
Sorry, but your logic is akin to thinking that a TV right out of the box is factory set for optimal color, contrast, brightness, etc, when nothing could be farther than the truth. I spent a good half hour adjusting to my liking. The CNET boys are experts at this as they have adjusted thousands of audio systems over the years.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I Googled HK equalizer settings and there were quite a few responses listed.
I tried most of them and finally settled for what I think was best for my ears. That said, I do think that HK should have made presets for certain music and then give us the option to modify it and save it, rename it as our default.

Our knock around car is a Chevy Cruze and it has the optional Pioneer 9 speaker system and it has preset equalizer settings or you can set your own.

BMW just behind the times in electronics IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
I Googled HK equalizer settings and there were quite a few responses listed.
I tried most of them and finally settled for what I think was best for my ears. That said, I do think that HK should have made presets for certain music and then give us the option to modify it and save it, rename it as our default.

Our knock around car is a Chevy Cruze and it has the optional Pioneer 9 speaker system and it has preset equalizer settings or you can set your own.

BMW just behind the times in electronics IMHO.
Porsche are worse!! Have to say the F15 with all its gadgets is bang up to date on the in-car information and customisation front.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
Ftenner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535xdrive , F15 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarvik View Post
I don't buy the "settings will depend on the type of music you like to play". It is always about the "room" and your equipment.

So saying that, there MUST be an optimal setting for the HK in the F15 cabin. Sure, some may find certain settings more pleasing then others, but as far as clarity and reproduction concerned, there has to be a "sweet spot". From there we can slightly adjust to our liking.

I have been playing around to avail at the moment. The best I got is a pattern like so:

Starting with 0. I find that it is more beneficial to reduce the frequencies rather then boost them. Boosting introduces unnecessary noise, you can simply increase the volume if you want more impact.

These are with Logic 7.

Anyone has any settings they can share?

Best setting i tried so far, thanks!!!
Appreciate 0