BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2024, 09:59 AM   #1
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

How to turn off "brake assist"

Holy cow…brake assist kicked in for the first time today…and I hate it. It slammed on the brakes when it was totally unnecessary.

I was driving about 4 car lengths behind a car and saw traffic slowing ahead of it. I started to slow and suddenly the warning beep happened and it was as if the brake pedal suddenly dropped about another inch, slamming on the brakes, and then suddenly it let go again. If someone had been close behind me they might have slammed into the back of me. I’ve been concerned with the collision detection thing because sometimes it gives me alerts simply from shadows on the road, but has never applied the brakes on its own…apparently the system required my foot to be on the brake to “ramp up”, as I don’t have active cruise control. Now I want it all off. 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Driver assistance button is right below the hazards, between the vents.
Appreciate 1
tfunk88199.50
      05-01-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Oh, sweet, I used that to turn off the lane assist but didn’t realize I could turn brake assist off. I’m dumb 🤦‍♂️😂
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:07 PM   #4
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Damn, this sucks… The car turns brake assist back on every time you restart the car. So I would have to turn it off every time I start the car! I’m too lazy to do that lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 07:35 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
Damn, this sucks…
You also have 3 settings to adjust when it kicks in….what do you have selected? If you hate it as much as you’ve written, make sure you have LATE selected.

Simply select the collision feature (should be the top icon on the left)…then press the CONFIGURATION button and select LATE. If the brakes applied themselves without you…it probably saved you from running into the back of the car ahead. It calculates the speed differential between you and the car in front of you. If you’re moving faster than that car, and won’t be able to stop in enough time, that’s when braking mitigation kicks in.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-01-2024 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:00 PM   #6
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I was on the brakes, with still a good distance to the car in front, when suddenly the brake pedal seemed to move an extra inch, slamming on the brakes, and releasing just as suddenly. I never got close to the car in front. But the car behind me definitely got A LOT closer. 🤦‍♂️

When I checked it looked like I had it set to medium, even though I know before I’d set it to late. Now it’s definitely on “late”.

Edit- just realized why it was back at medium…when I clicked to turn it off I turned it back on and maybe it defaults to medium when turned back on?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post

Edit- just realized why it was back at medium…when I clicked to turn it off I turned it back on and maybe it defaults to medium when turned back on?
I'm not sure if it defaults back to MED...you'll have to verify the next time you restart. But as discussed, it does default to being back on at each new startup.

The owners manual embedded in iDrive also goes over the details of the various Intelligent Safety Systems. If you have time, you can do a refresher read-up on collision warning. The first is the simple "red" alert symbol...the 2nd is the flashing symbol and audible alert (which means pending collision).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #8
_ObiJon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Maybe using ProTool (or the like) to remove the option from the VO? And then add it back when needed?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #9
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I'm not sure if it defaults back to MED...you'll have to verify the next time you restart. But as discussed, it does default to being back on at each new startup.

The owners manual embedded in iDrive also goes over the details of the various Intelligent Safety Systems. If you have time, you can do a refresher read-up on collision warning. The first is the simple "red" alert symbol...the 2nd is the flashing symbol and audible alert (which means pending collision). [...]
Yep…but what I don’t like about it is there was NOT about to be a impending collision. And I’ve gotten the flashing red car and audible alert when there hasn’t been a single car on the road in front of me, not even one coming from the other way. I think it’s alerting because of shade from trees or something but I’m not sure. I’m worried it’s going to apply the brakes hard at some point when there’s not even someone else in front and I’ll get hit from behind. I do NOT trust the system. 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0