BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #23
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstracted View Post
Yeah, I called a few more shops and you're right, average quote is $130, and should take only 1 hour of labor.
Transfer case can changed in about 5min if you make your own ultra low profile tool to remove the fill plug. This allows you to bypass removing the cross member. There are low profile tools out there but they are not skinny enough as there is only about 25mm of room to work with. Below are pics and everything needed to do it. Just cut 19mm of the hex off the socket (dremel's thin metal cutting discs are excellent for this) and insert it into the wrench, and that's it your done. You can now change your transfer case oil faster then your engine oil. Even if you don't plan on doing this work yourself, might want to inform the shop you are going to that it can be done this way and save everyone time and money.

14mm Hex:https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-1.../dp/B004W80PEW

14mm long reach ratcheting wrench: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F512F7Y

Low profile Oil fill adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gohantee-Tran.../dp/B07R4P3PCD
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 09-08-2021 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #24
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstracted View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
The quote for the transfer case is way too high in my opinion, anything between $150-200 is reasonable, as the cross brace has to be remove to gain access to the fill/drain plugs.
Yeah, I called a few more shops and you're right, average quote is $130, and should take only 1 hour of labor.
Maintenance doesn't have to be expensive on these vehicles, have your maintenance done at a independent BMW or European Service Shop.
Neither my E63 AMG or X5M has been to the dealership for any procedure, since their warranties expired. It's all about prioritizing what needs attention immediately and what can wait to be addressed later. My suggestion, knock out the big services first.
      09-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #25
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
Maintenance doesn't have to be expensive on these vehicles, have your maintenance done at a independent BMW or European Service Shop.
Neither my E63 AMG or X5M has been to the dealership for any procedure, since their warranties expired. It's all about prioritizing what needs attention immediately and what can wait to be addressed later. My suggestion, knock out the big services first.
100% Agreed. I am at 44k miles now. What services you recommend first at 50k?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #26
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoss_F86 View Post
100% Agreed. I am at 44k miles now. What services you recommend first at 50k?
First, I would do the transmission flush, then change the transfer case fluid, then finally the F&R diffs. The engine coolant would be next, followed by power steering flush, and then the intercooler charge fluid. Then replace the brake fluid, which some tend to neglect. I would inspect and most cases replace the serpentine belt, and AC compressor belts. This doesn't have to get expensive, just do one at a time. For me, I usually knock out three-four items at a time, which saves me trips to the shop.
      03-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #27
Samuaron
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m

Hi everyone! Hoping someone can weigh in on this. I have a ‘17 X5M with 43k miles. I know BMW does not recommend changing fluids for the life time of the vehicle; coolant, differential fluids, power steering, transmission etc. Now, I do have a non-bmw third party warranty that’s expiring in 07/24. I intend on extending my warranty through BMW before this current one is done. I feel that I am no mechanic but I am more mechanically inclined and do all my oil changes since I got my car, changed spark plugs etc. My question to you guys and gals is by changing these “fluids” at the 50k mile mark, interfere with my current warranty or the one I plan on getting from the dealership? My current warranty fine print doesn’t address this issue at all. I know several members here have done the fluid changes, but just want input on how and if doing this affects my third party warranty or not and if I should proceed. Thanks everyone for your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:02 AM   #28
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I would think changing the fluids would be a GOOD thing, as it should lessen the chance of a warranty claim

ZF, who makes the transmission, actually recommends changing the fluid and filter every 50k miles, soooo…
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 03:51 PM   #29
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I was speaking to my service advisor about changing the transfer case fluid and was told in it is not listed as a serviceable item but when the car throws the VTG(?) error then part of the process oil is changed.

I was also advised against changing the DCT fluid as the new fluid may make the gears slip. Keeping the old oil with age and build up residue is makes the fluid binding. This is what I was told.

I tried to get this done after my bearing failure that resulted in BMW rebuilding the engine at 63k km, totally cost-free for me.
      03-24-2024, 05:18 PM   #30
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I was speaking to my service advisor about changing the transfer case fluid and was told in it is not listed as a serviceable item but when the car throws the VTG(?) error then part of the process oil is changed.

I was also advised against changing the DCT fluid as the new fluid may make the gears slip. Keeping the old oil with age and build up residue is makes the fluid binding. This is what I was told.

I tried to get this done after my bearing failure that resulted in BMW rebuilding the engine at 63k km, totally cost-free for me.
Lol, what a load of BS. It's either is a serviceable part, or isn't. Looks like its a strategic move, to get some $$$ off you before we hit you with the $$$ to replace the part and you bail.

So another way of putting it is BMW would like you run your can into the ground and replace with expensive new parts or by a new car with a service pack that is specifically structed to kill the car after a 4 year period.
Appreciate 1
tfunk88192.00
      03-27-2024, 02:02 PM   #31
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
There isn't any fluids in your vehicle that last a lifetime. I have changed every fluid in my E63 AMG, X5M and M3 and I have never had any issues. In fact my X5M will be going to the shop to have all these fluids changed again, as it has been four years since my trans, diff's and transfer case have been changed. 4-years and not a single issue. So, BMW is blowing smoke up your rear end. There hopping that you will have issues, so that they can charge you and arm/leg. Please have these fluids changed and with that comes peace of mind. My philosophy, pay a little now, or pay a lot later. Just saying......