BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
estoril335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i estoril blue on red!

Exclamation A/C system sometimes turns on, on start up?

Hello, just got a new X5 35i.
I come from BMW cars, but none of them had a twitchy AC system!

Sometimes when I turn on my car (cold start or not), the AC system will also turn on and sometimes it will not turn on. I make sure to turn off the AC system before turning off my car to prove it..

If the system turns on (and say, i don't want it on), I push the "little fan" symbol to turn it off. Interesting thing is that the AC system, when it turns on automatically, it defaults at 2 bars, non-Auto. If i decide to turn it off immediately after turning on my car, the bars won't immediately come to 0 for it to turn off! it takes a second or two for the system to actually "register" the pressing of the little fan button for it to actually turn off. After a second, it will then go to 1 bar, and then to "Off".

Any ideas?
2015 GT-R Black Edition - Midnight Blue (Current Wknd)
1990 300zx Built Twin Turbo - Black (Current race car)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
javaperson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

My 2016 x5 35i defaulted to always turning on the AC system when I started the car, regardless if it was on or off when i turned off the car last. When I started the car, it would got to 2bars (fan speed) as you describe and would not respond to my input (I could turn it down to 1bar, but then it would go back to 2bars) for a few seconds - after I waited a 5~10secs after starting, then i could turn it off. I guess this was considered a feature(??). Anyways, I coded it remember the previous setting (if left on, turns on; if left off; stays off).

Not sure about the "twitchiness" of your system - sometimes off, sometimes on unpredictably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril335 View Post
Hello, just got a new X5 35i.
I come from BMW cars, but none of them had a twitchy AC system!

Sometimes when I turn on my car (cold start or not), the AC system will also turn on and sometimes it will not turn on. I make sure to turn off the AC system before turning off my car to prove it..

If the system turns on (and say, i don't want it on), I push the "little fan" symbol to turn it off. Interesting thing is that the AC system, when it turns on automatically, it defaults at 2 bars, non-Auto. If i decide to turn it off immediately after turning on my car, the bars won't immediately come to 0 for it to turn off! it takes a second or two for the system to actually "register" the pressing of the little fan button for it to actually turn off. After a second, it will then go to 1 bar, and then to "Off".

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

You can code vehicle for preferred functionality.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
estoril335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i estoril blue on red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaperson View Post
My 2016 x5 35i defaulted to always turning on the AC system when I started the car, regardless if it was on or off when i turned off the car last. When I started the car, it would got to 2bars (fan speed) as you describe and would not respond to my input (I could turn it down to 1bar, but then it would go back to 2bars) for a few seconds - after I waited a 5~10secs after starting, then i could turn it off. I guess this was considered a feature(??). Anyways, I coded it remember the previous setting (if left on, turns on; if left off; stays off).

Not sure about the "twitchiness" of your system - sometimes off, sometimes on unpredictably...
Yup, exactly the same problem!
I guess i need a coder.
TY for confirming!
2015 GT-R Black Edition - Midnight Blue (Current Wknd)
1990 300zx Built Twin Turbo - Black (Current race car)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril335 View Post
Yup, exactly the same problem!
I guess i need a coder.
TY for confirming!
Mine always remember shutdown setting for HVAC.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I had a similar issue, I found that my wife was setting the temp on her side 5 deg less than mine. Once I 'sync'ed them to my temp, then the AC stopped coming on.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
I had a similar issue, I found that my wife was setting the temp on her side 5 deg less than mine. Once I 'sync'ed them to my temp, then the AC stopped coming on.
An HVAC installer once told me vehicle are way ahead of home systems. But, home systems are designed with open doors in mind and multi-zone units are most efficient if not set more than 3-4 degree difference. So, unlike homes, vehicles will make adjustments (eg, fan speed, output temp, etc) based on vehicle speed, inside / outside temp, and target temp, I can imagine a four-zone vehicle with 5+ degree temp differences causing issues in such a confined space.
Appreciate 0