02-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
The MAdaptive suspension is not going to help very much with body roll on corners especially when the car is loaded with passengers. You would need the anti-roll stabilization mechanism of the DHP to mitigate that the best. In that same situation you described, if you drive an X5 with/without MAdaptive, you'd probably notice some difference if you're paying attention. However with/without DHP, you would swear that they were different cars.

If you have the MAdaptive suspension, but not the ARS, you can stiffen (sport) or soften (comfort) your suspension, but the system won't actively attempt to prevent body roll. However, you will get less in sport because its not bouncy like comfort, but with ARS, its considerably less.
Many thanks DHP is my next test drive, once i find a car that has it.
      02-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #46
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I am still of the old school and I have an irrational distrust the "active" anti-roll bars that are being offered on today's cars. I am sure the systems work well as noted here on the boards by many members, and I know there are merits to the active style systems, namely, having the continuous ability to adjust roll resistance instantly to driving conditions. I wish there was a way to have the roll resistance set to your liking, and not according to how the software controls it within its set parameters. I hope BMW does this in the future because that feature would be outstanding.

I wish BMW offered the torque vectoring as a separate option like Porsche does. This would help with cornering more than the ARS in my opinion.

The standard anti-roll bars are not small by comparison. 27mm up front and 23mm in the rear. I'm not sure if these are hollow or solid bars, since that would play a big part in ultimate roll resistance and overall spring rates. I am hopeful the aftermarket will release something soon and that should help those without the ARS to have some flatter cornering, too.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
I am still of the old school and I have an irrational distrust the "active" anti-roll bars that are being offered on today's cars. I am sure the systems work well as noted here on the boards by many members, and I know there are merits to the active style systems, namely, having the continuous ability to adjust roll resistance instantly to driving conditions. I wish there was a way to have the roll resistance set to your liking, and not according to how the software controls it within its set parameters. I hope BMW does this in the future because that feature would be outstanding.

I wish BMW offered the torque vectoring as a separate option like Porsche does. This would help with cornering more than the ARS in my opinion.

The standard anti-roll bars are not small by comparison. 27mm up front and 23mm in the rear. I'm not sure if these are hollow or solid bars, since that would play a big part in ultimate roll resistance and overall spring rates. I am hopeful the aftermarket will release something soon and that should help those without the ARS to have some flatter cornering, too.
Amen.

The active anti-sway on my 550i was ok. I think it had 22 or 23mm all around.

I had solid adjustable 27mm on the front (through the body) and rear of my 2600 lb Porsche 930. No roll, and completely adjustable. I would bet the number of kinks and bends to the sway bar on the F15 make it impossible to make a good/effective adjustable bar. This by itself would be a great handling upgrade with nearly no negative side affects.
      02-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #48
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

2600 lbs sounds amazing! I'm sure it was nimble as heck!

If the ARS can lengthen and shorten the distance that the anti-roll bar is attached to the frame, then I think it would not be an issue to have some adjustability from an aftermarket piece. Perhaps the endlinks may have to be revised in some way by making those adjustable, too, but I don't think it would be even a minor problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #49
rotweiler
Private
Rep
Drives: audi a6

how is baby car seat in x6 going to handle
is there enough place in the back
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #50
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotweiler View Post
how is baby car seat in x6 going to handle
is there enough place in the back
With stock suspension, the car seat will move a little bit due to the body roll especially at higher speed, merges, and sharper turns. DHP is very flat so none of this is felt in those situations so car seat will not move. Definitely pick one of the two suspension options if you have not done so already.
      02-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #51
rotweiler
Private
Rep
Drives: audi a6

DHP or m adaptive suspension you mean???
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #52
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotweiler View Post
DHP or m adaptive suspension you mean???
Yes.