BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

I am not finding a comfortable seating position in this rig.

Well I had my X for about 2 weeks now, it is equipped with "comfort" seats and the problem is that I am not able to find a comfortable driving position... the main problem appears to be that I am somehow deformed or that I like to drive as low as possible seat setting, I am 6´1 btw, the steering column does not move close and low enough for me so I have to raise the seat to hold the steering wheel comfortably... Since the steering wheel does not move far enough in my direction I find myself getting the seat too forward which hurts my right knee from the movement of braking and accelerating... You know what this is like?

I have not had problems like this except driving a Ram truck... I own a 2 series as well and its extremely comfortable... so whats the deal here? any way to fix this?

Thanks!
JC
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
Well I had my X for about 2 weeks now, it is equipped with "comfort" seats and the problem is that I am not able to find a comfortable driving position... the main problem appears to be that I am somehow deformed or that I like to drive as low as possible seat setting, I am 6´1 btw, the steering column does not move close and low enough for me so I have to raise the seat to hold the steering wheel comfortably... Since the steering wheel does not move far enough in my direction I find myself getting the seat too forward which hurts my right knee from the movement of braking and accelerating... You know what this is like?

I have not had problems like this except driving a Ram truck... I own a 2 series as well and its extremely comfortable... so whats the deal here? any way to fix this?

Thanks!
JC
Did you actually buy a BMW X5 without test driving it?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

I did a test drive... But the problem was not apparent at the moment... Besides I used to have an E70 without any problems...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

My E70 and E71 had comfort seats and were the most comfortable car seats that I've ever owned.

I did indeed buy my F16 without test driving it because it didn't exist yet when I ordered the car this past August. (Totaling my previous X6 in May made me impatient). I did test drive an F15 beforehand, but everything about that car's seating position is uncomfortable for me, so I can't really judge by that.

Although I have the opposite physical 'issue' from @Jerich0 (I'm short, not tall), I too like to drive with my seat low. As he found, the steering wheel cannot be positioned in a way that I can drive with the seat very low. I also think that the headrest is pitched too far forward. Because of this I can't get the upper back support to actually support my upper back.

It took me about 6 weeks of playing with the settings to get a seat position and driving posture that I'm relatively comfortable with and that I'm now used to. I'm still higher than I would like to be and I still think that my upper back isn't supported enough for a $1200 seat, but its what I have to live with.

I've heard from some other E70 owners that have had the same complaints. Perhaps only people switching from E70s expecting the same experience are the complainers in the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I also wish the dash were lower and steering wheel would drop lower. I'm 6'7" and if i adjust the seat all the way down how i like it, the steering wheel is too high. If i drop the steering wheel i can't see the dash. Also i feel the wheel is too far above my knees. I got used to it and am plenty comfortable but would like it lower for sure if it were possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
batmanken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Msport

I'm 5'9" and yes, seating position is a bit odd. I don't know why but I've hit my knee several times entering/exiting the car. I have my seat set pretty low also and the steering wheel position seems a bit high when you compare it to say, a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I agree on the steering wheel, does't go low enough. That said, while i don't have the comfort seats (multi contour seats) on our F15, I did on my E70, and they were fantastic. Keep playing with it is all I can say, takes time playing with the settings but once you get it right, should be very good.

Last edited by chrisny; 02-19-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

I just find the seat doesn't go too low for me. I'm running Sport seats and I like them. I mean nothing like my M3
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Hi jerich0,

I had/have the same issue. It's not the Seat, As I have comfort seats aswell and you are able to adjust them exactly to your liking. What works best for me:

- steering wheel as low as possible and extended towards you (out)
- Seat cushion lowest position
- leg support slightly tilted upwards and extended (half)
- recline not very much and the shoulder (headrest) tilted slightly forward.

I drive a lot of highway and can use cruise Control a lot, and rest my feet below the brake pedal. But I choose to have as much distance between the Seat and pedels as possible. To counter this I can't reclined the Seat that much.

In my opinion this is caused by the pedal positions.
But for the rest the car is a dream, so I lerarend to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa View Post
Did you actually buy a BMW X5 without test driving it?
I had to buy mine without test driving an F15 with comfort seats, as no dealers had any local to me to test drive. I tried the sports seats which were too uncomfortable and the standard seats were pretty rubbish too having come out of a Lexus RX450h whose seats are like armchairs.
The F15 comfort seats do the trick for me though I do find that the sweet spot where you can see the whole of the dash through the steering wheel is pretty small, even with all the adjustment of the steering wheel and comfort seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I am somewhat in this camp as well.

Compared to my 5s, this has so much space on the sides, and I feel like my hands are always way up high to hold onto the steering wheel.

It's not a deal breaker, but I do miss how the 5 "wrapped around me" a little better. Pardon the exaggeration, but this is kind of like a steering wheel and bar stool feeling at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I think I won't complain about the steering wheel anymore. I have a 328GT loaner today and I can get the steering wheel in the perfectest position. However, nothing else is right. I would like mine back please!
Appreciate 0