BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2024, 07:27 AM   #1
mgmcb
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

X5 with white smoke

Hi,

I have a 2017 x5. There is a slight bit of white smoke coming from both exhausts, if I go on a long drive it will go away but around the town it’s there. It’s not losing coolant and the oil is fine, there is a code for a NOx sensor malfunction. I’m assuming the NOx sensor not working might be causing the white smoke, if so, is it doing any harm?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 07:47 AM   #2
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

White some normally is water. I would suggest track water/oil consumption for 500/1000 miles to confirm.
I assume this is a gasoline engine. If yes they produce water which evaporates ... this is what you normally see coming from the exhaust. In cold temperatures it is more visible as well when engine is still warming up.
Keep monitoring
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
mgmcb
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for the response! I probably should have been a bit more specific, it’s done 20,000 miles with me. Never needed oil or coolant, infact the coolant is at the same level I marked it at. Its diseal, but what happens is, it starts up, no smoke, when I the engine oil gauge starts getting warm it starts to smoke and will until it hits the middle on the temperature gauge, so driving around the town it’s always smoking (7-8miles or more and below middle operating temperature). If I drive 20+ miles the smoke goes away until the temp drops again. Hope this makes sense!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

White smoke is probably water vapor. Engine combustion produces water in the exhaust.
Appreciate 0