BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #23
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

+1, same noise on xDrive35i. Only noticeable with windows down when passing a parked car or a wall. Here's my video with this ticking noise(clearly audible when the car starts at 0:07
).

Had multiple service appointments, nobody was able to solve and even detect what is producing that sound.
Important: on my vehicle the sound is ONLY present at warm (even rather "hot") engine after 15-30 minutes of drive. Appears at random RPM - from 1000 to approx. 2200 RPM(?) and only under load/uphill. No sound at all when cold start (until the engine bay gets hot enough).

P.S. Had tested it on lifted up vehicle with both brake & throttle pedals down to the floor: the sound definitely went from the right bottom section of the engine bay, so this may be something like turbocharger/catalytic converter/right engine mount/right CV axle/...
The sound definitely does NOT go from the transfer case, the TC is 2ft. behind the source of this noise...

Last edited by Bomzara; 08-31-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
+1, same noise on xDrive35i. Only noticeable with windows down when passing a parked car or a wall. Here's my video with this ticking noise(clearly audible when the car starts at 0:07
).

Had multiple service appointments, nobody was able to solve and even detect what is producing that sound.
Important: on my vehicle the sound is ONLY present at warm (even rather "hot") engine after 15-30 minutes of drive. Appears at random RPM - from 1000 to approx. 2200 RPM(?) and only under load/uphill. No sound at all when cold start (until the engine bay gets hot enough).

P.S. Had tested it on lifted up vehicle with both brake & throttle pedals down to the floor: the sound definitely went from the right bottom section of the engine bay, so this may be something like turbocharger/catalytic converter/right engine mount/right CV axle/...
The sound definitely does NOT go from the transfer case, the TC is 2ft. behind the source of this noise...
That's my noise and situation to a T…
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #25
Eurogreek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5

Same noise! Have mine in the shop today. We’ll see
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:43 PM   #26
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogreek View Post
Same noise! Have mine in the shop today. We’ll see
Keep us posted. Will be interesting to see if they actually give you an answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:52 PM   #27
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

well if u have both the brake and throttle held down and still making that noise then that rules out anything rotating so not the axels. have u checked for any loose heatshield vibrating against something else?
      09-01-2021, 01:55 AM   #28
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
well if u have both the brake and throttle held down and still making that noise then that rules out anything rotating so not the axels. have u checked for any loose heatshield vibrating against something else?
Well, this was the very first idea... Especially when take into attention that the sound comes from warm engine only.

One of the dealerships said that the sound comes from the right engine supporting bracket, it has some kind of a heatshield on top that covers it from the heat coming from the catalytic converter (picture below). They had it (bracket, not the catalytic converter ) wrapped with some kind of thermal wrap for exhaust pipes. With no result, unfortunately, the sound is still here (maybe a little quieter, but not sure).
Attached Images

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-01-2021 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:09 AM   #29
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Here's what the dealer said to sergiyny:

Quote:
As per bmw, this noise is an acoustic sound reverberating from the oil pump up to the valve train under load. This is considered normal and repairs will not correct the issue. This will not effect the engine performance or will create a type of failure.
On my vehicle the sound is definitely not audible from the top of the engine (where the valvetrain system is), and clearly audible from the bottom-mid (oil pump is bottom-front though). Also, as BeachsideF30 noticed, the sound doesn't come when gearbox is disengaged (in P or N) and thus no load on drivetrain, but it's here once you produce some load on both D and R. So I don't think it's a pump: in that case it should be present in P/R/N/D mode as for the oil pump it doesn't matter which gear is selected...

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-01-2021 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:47 AM   #30
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
).

I had the same exact clicking with your exact scenarios I actually mentioned this on my previous post. It ended up being the wastegate flap of turbo dealer replaced entire turbo as changing just the flap wasn't an option and noise has been non existent ever since. Dealers will say this is normal because no codes are thrown and quite frankly it doesn't effect the car performance wise I actually got denied twice of any repair until it was approved by a very knowledgeable master tech who went on a test drive with me and knew right away what it was.

Last edited by dubs; 09-01-2021 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:26 AM   #31
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I had the same exact clicking with your exact scenarios I actually mentioned this on my previous post. It ended up being the wastegate flap of turbo dealer replaced entire turbo as changing just the flap wasn't an option and noise has been non existent ever since. Dealers will say this is normal because no codes are thrown and quite frankly it doesn't effect the car performance wise I actually got denied twice of any repair until it was approved by a very knowledgeable master tech who went on a test drive with me and knew right away what it was.
Thank you so much for the answer dubs! I was able to get under the car and check the exhaust flap shaft (is it called shaft? I mean the one marked on the picture below) with my hands. It does have some play around these "bearings" on both its ends, but very very little (maybe about 1/64 in.) and the metallic sound is present, though way quieter and has slightly different tone.

Actuator shouldn't produce any metallic noise, so the only thing left is the flap itself. Unluckily, I don't know a way to check the flap condition without getting the turbo off the car.

Is there a way to check the wastegate flap play without dismantling the turbocharger/exhaust?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:50 AM   #32
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Thank you so much for the answer dubs! I was able to get under the car and check the exhaust flap shaft (is it called shaft? I mean the one marked on the picture below) with my hands. It does have some play around these "bearings" on both its ends, but very very little (maybe about 1/64 in.) and the sound is way quieter and has different tone.

Actuator shouldn't produce any metallic noise, so the only thing left is the flap itself. Unluckily, I don't know a way to check the flap condition without getting the turbo off the car.

Is there a way to check the wastegate flap play without dismantling the turbocharger/exhaust?

Before my last visit to dealer where it got approved I had a indy do a thorough inspection with the car on a lift the shop did all sorts of tests revving at certain rpms on P,N,M1 and D while someone listening under with a stethoscope and they found it coming from lower engine block near the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #33
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

My noise, which is the same, when troubleshooted by the dealer three different times....

1) Said to be normal, all X5 make this sound. (Okay..)
2) Said to be the transfer case, verified with a stethoscope, after throwing around waste gate and a bunch of other random stuff.
3) Defiantly wrong, videos taken of another F15 N55 X5 and mine. Warranty company said no dice as it had no codes or drive ability errors and was intermittent to reproduce.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #34
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
My noise, which is the same, when troubleshooted by the dealer three different times....

2) Said to be the transfer case, verified with a stethoscope, after throwing around waste gate and a bunch of other random stuff.
3) Defiantly wrong, videos taken of another F15 N55 X5 and mine. Warranty company said no dice as it had no codes or drive ability errors and was intermittent to reproduce.
It seems like the dealership likes to give the run around with this issue since it's not easy to diagnose. This noise is not "normal operation" I've been around bmws my entire life.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #35
Arteezy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post

Sounds like every other dealer giving the same excuse lol what I don't get is if it was the transfer case why haven't they replaced that. My friend's F30 335i had same exact noise and he as well had his turbo replaced this seems to be a N55 related matter rather than all X5's. I had my transfer case replaced not too long ago and it sounded nothing like the video above it was more of a grinding noise and it was constant even when I let go of acceleration but from what I've read here that doesn't seem to be the case with noise present only on acceleration. I would go back to the dealer and ask them to unplug the T-case from under the car then go for a drive and see if the noise is still present as this is how my dealer diagnosed my T-case

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30 View Post
It seems like the dealership likes to give the run around with this issue since it's not easy to diagnose. This noise is not "normal operation" I've been around bmws my entire life.
^ This, some dealers will go out of there way to find the problem while others will simply say its normal with no faults stored. If your under warranty I suggest you try different dealers and ask for a tech to sit with you as most service advisors are clueless.

Last edited by Arteezy; 09-01-2021 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #36
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteezy View Post
Sounds like every other dealer giving the same excuse lol what I don't get is if it was the transfer case why haven't they replaced that. My friend's F30 335i had same exact noise and he as well had his turbo replaced this seems to be a N55 related matter rather than all X5's. I had my transfer case replaced not too long ago and it sounded nothing like the video above it was more of a grinding noise and it was constant even when I let go of acceleration but from what I've read here that doesn't seem to be the case with noise present only on acceleration. I would go back to the dealer and ask them to unplug the T-case from under the car then go for a drive and see if the noise is still present as this is how my dealer diagnosed my T-case
Had the noise gone away after replacing turbo on friend's F30?

AFAIK, scotty339 mentioned in his thread that he had unplugged the T-case and drove around with rear-drive only, the noise became quieter but still presented...

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-01-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #37
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Hopefully we get some more clarity after some of these go into service to investigate. Since I just got the recent run around I'll bring up the wastegate suspicion at it's next oil service. Hopefully we get some more info on this cause it's an embarrassing noise for such a nice vehicle. Thankfully I'm under CPO for 70k more miles
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #38
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Back to the topic: found another video on YT with exactly the same ticking noise as we all have

Clearly audible at 0:03-0:04 when he accelerates, also 0:24-0:26 (interesting observation: the sound stops once the wastegate gets opened at 0:26). For better hearing use headphones. The sound is 100% the same as on my video, as well as symptoms he describes.

Symptoms (from his words):

Quote:
Need some help from you guys. My 2012 N55 135i has been having a ticking noise under acceleration for about a year now. Car has 70k miles on it and I noticed a few months after I bought it last year, that with my radio off and windows down i can hear a ticking sound from the front of the car. With the windows up you don't hear it. AC on and off is the same. Sport or comfort mode same.

Only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and between the rpms at idle to 3K. After 3K the ticking goes away. There is NO sound revving in neutral/Park. Its silky smooth sounding revving in neutral without anything abnormal.

Its more noticeable when driving next to a wall or highway divider where the sound echos. If i apply very light throttle, no ticking. Moderate to heavy throttle it ticks up to 3K and stops.
Quickly looked through the comments on YT: he mentioned the noise had gone after replacing the exhaust (?). It's a bit unclear what part of exhaust was replaced though.

Last edited by Bomzara; 09-01-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #39
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

So at this moment, here in this topic are at least 3 cases of successfully eliminated noise via replacing the turbo/exhaust.
I think it's enough to make some conclusions, so I'd look carefully into wastegate clap bearing/sealing.

BTW, there are chinese wastegate flat repair kits on the market, however I couldn't find one for N55. There are kits for N20 and N63 (on the picture below):

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #40
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So at this moment, here in this topic are at least 3 cases of successfully eliminated noise via replacing the turbo/exhaust.
I think it's enough to make some conclusions, so I'd look carefully into wastegate clap bearing/sealing.

BTW, there are chinese wastegate flat repair kits on the market, however I couldn't find one for N55. There are kits for N20 and N63 (on the picture below):

Thank you for all of your insight into this. Why would it only be under load though? That's what's strange to me. Doesn't the wastegate open during stationary reving too at that particular rpm?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #41
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

That's a good question...
I'm not 100% sure, but when I rev in P or N, I don't hear the turbocharger inflating/deflating sound, which I do hear when press both gas & brake in D or R. Can't explain this fact

I don't know how is EWG algorithm designed and what's different comparing to pneumatic wastegate in earlier generation of N55. I had a pre-LCI F10 with pneumatic wastegate, but TBH don't remember how it worked/sounded.

Anyway, I'd like to have another service appointment to check the turbo more closely using a stethoscope etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #42
Eurogreek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5

Just got my X back from the dealer with no luck! They said they couldn’t replicate the sound! Sad part is once I drove off, about 3 miles, there it is! Sound of ticking of course. Good thing I had to take my son to soccer or I would be right back there! So frustrating! They said they had the tech and his Forman both look at it and nothing. I guess it’s a waiting game again.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #43
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogreek View Post
Just got my X back from the dealer with no luck! They said they couldn’t replicate the sound! Sad part is once I drove off, about 3 miles, there it is! Sound of ticking of course. Good thing I had to take my son to soccer or I would be right back there! So frustrating! They said they had the tech and his Forman both look at it and nothing. I guess it’s a waiting game again.
That's really disheartening I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping your car being in the shop would maybe give a little more clarity.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #44
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's an interesting read that I found over on the F30 N55 side…

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1252629

Same situation and sound. They thought it was turbo/wastegate as well. Here's a quote from the OP

"Thanks for the post. My dealer never figured it out and they had my X5 35i for over 7 weeks. They tried swapping the turbo, exhaust, removed the transmission, removed the bottom end of the motor to check the rod bearings etc... "
Appreciate 0