BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-12-2023, 12:12 AM   #1
gms.yuri
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

X5 F15 ABS Electrical error

Good day,

I have my F15 X5(35i) experiencing abs module fault.
It has intermittent:
4809A8 - wheel speed sensor airgap front lef
480A61 - EMF fault
480A9C - wheel speed sensor front left sporadic fault
480681 DSC Wakeup line, high signal

Now in my experience on these car, i usually check the wheel bearing tooth; since it has an airgap fault. And surely the car had a wheel bearing noise on front left. So, i was like this has to be the wheel bearing, where the tooth is usually damaged. Might as well throw in the speed sensor since its inexpensive.
I did peek with a small camera to check for the tooth, it shows uneven tooth surface but nothing major, it does has a vibration on the spring coil when i turn the wheel tough. So I was still leaning on the wheel bearing failure which cause the reading of the sensor to be abnormal.

But then as precautionary step, i check the signal and the voltage that goes through the connector of the sensor.

FRH & Both Rear sensor shows me 12V,
but on the FLH, it shows me 7.1V; I traced and probe the wiring back to the abs module and it shows me the same value

I crosscheck with F10s that I have in my workshop, all connectors should show same 11.9-12.5v value (depending on the battery health)

I work on quite some bmws, but very seldom I encounter newer bmw with abs module problem. (F15 abs module located at the RH top side of the engine)

I'm also quite torn that the wheel bearing shows a confirmed physical fault, but the the connectors shows low voltage incoming.
I have checked the grounding, recleaned them, they all in good and tight condition.

Have any of ya'll experience the same issue before? on different car perhaps?
Appreciate 0