BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2022, 03:06 AM   #1
BlackBeans
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | F15 X5 50i

subwoofer upgrade on HK sound system

Anyone do a simple plug and play subwoofer upgrade and care to share their experience? Maybe a Bimmertech or Bavsound...
Wondering how good the setup will be to just upgrade the sub alone. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeans View Post
Anyone do a simple plug and play subwoofer upgrade and care to share their experience? Maybe a Bimmertech or Bavsound...
Wondering how good the setup will be to just upgrade the sub alone. Thanks!
any stereo shop can wire an amp and sub in...im running a RockfordFosgate 12inch powered sub in mine
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

Are you interested in adding a subwoofer or replacing the under-seat woofers or both?

Musicar NW out of Portland Oregon could provide options in addition to the ones you mentioned.

Replacing the under-seat woofers wouldn’t add much in my opinion. They are in a terribly location with installation limitations and compromises. Adding an additional true subwoofer and amplifier while also adding an additional amplifier to power the under-seat woofers while extending their mid-bass range and filtering off the low bass notes now handled by the subwoofer would add a performance boost. Replacing the under-seat woofers would add some performance gain but not necessarily enough to justify it. Adding the additional quality amp to power them would provide the most gain.

If you have run flats, the subwoofer and amps can be placed in the storage compartment a spare tire would otherwise be. If you can’t place a subwoofer in the storage space, a corner loaded custom enclosure is an option.

I initially did a bass-upgrade on my 335i. It added a lot but I ended up upgrading the entire system as step 2. For my X6 I just went straight to a full system upgrade.

For most upgrades you would need a MOST 25 interface, assuming your car uses it, I use the Helix Smart Digital Fiber-Optic Interface for MOST25 Platforms (HLX SMDI). With a full system upgrade I also use a high end Helix DSP.

This is what I had done to my X6, well beyond what you are considering, but the subwoofer part could be done without all the rest.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1681701
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I have a 2015 35d with factory B&O - nice system but I found it lacking in low end push. I ended up adding a 12" Kicker 48TRTP122 12" Shallow-mount sub with a Kicker 500.1 mono sub amp. It makes a huge difference - I love the low end power. I found one very important addition is using a Kicker sub control knob (46CXARC) mounted in the centre arm rest (front right corner) - makes fine tuning the sub super easy and convenient without taking my eyes off the road. The sub fits nicely in the well under the trunk floor (I had already removed the 3rd seats to save the weight). Highly recommended.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
firstmode
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive35i F15

Following...

what amp and subs fit well in the back tire compartment?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

What are you guys using as an adapter for the pre-outs?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
Jason73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

I put a downfire kicker 10” sub in the rear storage area(spare tire area)with a Kicker amp. Used the Kicker line out converter an tied into the drivers side subwoofer wires coming out the HK amp. More than enough bass to fill the car. Amp is only set at about 30% of power.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:04 PM   #8
mwne2nks
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
Subwoofer install

I mounted a Alpine M12 in the rear compartment and used a JL 12" Shallow mount ported box. I also used the Technic harness and it works very well. As soon as my MOST box comes in the rest of the Alpine amps will go in tied to the Alpine processor and alpine amps to complete. Plan on using Esotar mids and Morel Tweets
Appreciate 0