BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2023, 05:02 PM   #23
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

The compressor in this listing is slim and small and works in tight places; https://www.ebay.com/itm/31455219156...mis&media=COPY

There might be one on amazon that might arrive quicker
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:21 PM   #24
homermandy
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 E70

I just ordered that one on Amazon. Be here Friday. Also purchased a CTA 2112 tool that will be here tomorrow but may be too big. I did use the paper towel in the socket method for installation which almost worked but sent a keeper flying so had to order like 20 keepers just in case. Wow depressing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:10 PM   #25
homermandy
Rep

Ok I will update this thread more later on what worked. I only got 4 valves done and had to button up the car.

Hopefully someone can help me on the issue of when I reinstall the timing chain camshaft plate to the camshaft gears the bolts ( 3 of them) that go on the back of the plate and screw into the camshaft gear are too long and they barely hit the timing chain cover when you rotate the engine. I buttoned up everything and I now have a ticking sound where it is slightly hitting the timing chain case cover.

I had previously done the timing chain with the engine out of the car and no issue like this. I released the tensioner and locked cam with tool and locked crank with tool and removed the camshaft plate and secured it until reassembly.

Stumped on this. I will remove valve cover tomorrow and try again but weird!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:23 PM   #26
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

This is what I used on the n62

8MILELAKE Valve Spring Remover Installer Car Engine Overhead Compressor Tool Kit OHV OHC https://a.co/d/efgg0ZQ

Or something like this tool. It works good. Get a lot of washers or something to use as spacers

I used a magnetic screw driver to take the keepers off, and a non magnetic screwdriver with moly grease to hold it to a screw driver and reinstall the keepers.

Reinstalling the keepers was a bitch.

Also when replacing the valve seals put a straw on top of the valve, like trim the straw to 1 inch. This will prevent the valve tips from tearing the new seals. Then lube everything up with motor oil prior to closing it up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #27
homermandy
Rep

Ok update: I took valve cover off and took each bolt off camshaft to timing gear sprocket and shave a mm off the head. Quiet as a mouse. Have NO idea wtf causes it but good to go.

Now I took it for a ride on highway. Drove nice. Sitting at a light and it starting missing and puffing smoke badly. Pulled over had it towed home. Took everything off again to make sure timing was correct and valve didn’t drop. Everything great. NO ISTA codes at all. Ran high pressure fuel pump test which was fine. Ran a smooth running control test and showed injector one and two passes but 3-6 didn’t. Swapped 1 and 4 and problem stayed 3-6. So definately not injectors. Have no clue.

The only thing I am thinking is when I used compressed air into cylinder to hold valves I noticed moisture in the air line. It is possible over the course of a few days water entered the cylinder but what doesn’t make sense is driving fine for about 20 minutes and then it was like all injectors just went haywire. White smoke out the tailpipe. Any ideas? I got some power clean water remover additive and will add it. I was planning on draining the fuel tank.

Last edited by homermandy; 06-10-2023 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #28
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Everything good? Or did you trade it in?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #29
bcromwell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60

Any update, Thinking about doing this myself but now you have me worried
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #30
f15booty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 M3 racecar / F15 X5D-M

oh man... how was that engine out? do you have a lift? not looking forward to that job at all
Appreciate 0