BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-23-2022, 04:48 AM   #23
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

By the looks of some of the others, the Android HU does allow USB hubs. So a Bluetooth dongle could be added.

Just an idea, the Android HU does take the Fibre input. It would be good if they could configure the Android HU to be identified as a Bluetooth device over the fibre thus allowing using the Android HU as the source and the OEM as the receiver. Whilst all been lossless over the fibre.

Not sure how this idea would work in identifying the Android HU as a USB drive as the OEM HU would probably want to control the tracks, so the Bluetooth idea could be easier to implement.

Pseudo Nim , The discord chat, are there any devs on the channel? Could be a pitched idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #24
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
By the looks of some of the others, the Android HU does allow USB hubs. So a Bluetooth dongle could be added.

Just an idea, the Android HU does take the Fibre input. It would be good if they could configure the Android HU to be identified as a Bluetooth device over the fibre thus allowing using the Android HU as the source and the OEM as the receiver. Whilst all been lossless over the fibre.

Not sure how this idea would work in identifying the Android HU as a USB drive as the OEM HU would probably want to control the tracks, so the Bluetooth idea could be easier to implement.

Pseudo Nim , The discord chat, are there any devs on the channel? Could be a pitched idea.
Sadly, no devs in the channel Hmm, you say the Android takes fiber? That's interesting and unusual - they generally don't. I guess I should buy one and see how it works. Maybe I got a DAC for no reason? Hehe.
      03-23-2022, 04:56 AM   #25
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Sadly, no devs in the channel Hmm, you say the Android takes fiber? That's interesting and unusual - they generally don't. I guess I should buy one and see how it works. Maybe I got a DAC for no reason? Hehe.
Just going from Xx post above and some of the DIY vids. They seem to have an adapter harness that plugs the original Fibre into the HU. My guess this is for the screen integrations/controls only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Audio is connected in the back with the fiber, via the harness adapter you'll get with your Android Unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:06 AM   #26
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Just going from Xx post above and some of the DIY vids. They seem to have an adapter harness that plugs the original Fibre into the HU. My guess this is for the screen integrations/controls only.
Ah right. But I’m going to guess this isn’t true fiber integration - in previous incarnations of these devices, there used to be a separate fiber box that would splice into the MOST network (usually took the place of the CD changer), but the signal between the box and the Android unit was still 2-channel RCA.

I mean I could be wrong here and the BMW setup might be different. But I kinda doubt it (for now).
      03-23-2022, 06:01 AM   #27
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Did you guys not understand what I explained above.
Appreciate 0