BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

i have a 2014 x5 and the key fob wasn't opening the car nor turning it on unless i put it on the steering wheel, i took it to the dealer and they said i have aftermarket programs interfering with my key system, the new system is 2500$ and isn't covered by my warranty. Does anyone know if bimmercode and MHD tuning on a 2014 bmw x5 x35i interfere with the key fob system, is there a way to fix my key fob problem? if you have any information i would truly appreciate it, saving me a lot of money. *PHOTO IS FROM BMW DEALERSHIP REPORT*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Well, did you replace the battery in the key?
Appreciate 2
lht5059121.50
      03-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Quote:
yes i already replaced it, and bmw said it's not the key fob. do you know if the coding and tuning programs interfere with the cars key fob system, i had them over for a year, and the battery died a couple weeks ago, ever since then it stoped working.please let me know if you have any information.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Never heard of such thing to be honest. I can only speculate here that may be they tried to update your I Step level and ISTA did not finish it because of the tune. I would suggest installing ISTA checking it out. Dealership will always run per book. So if there is a tune-tune is not in the book its a full stop for them. Even it is not related to your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Never heard of such thing to be honest. I can only speculate here that may be they tried to update your I Step level and ISTA did not finish it because of the tune. I would suggest installing ISTA checking it out. Dealership will always run per book. So if there is a tune-tune is not in the book its a full stop for them. Even it is not related to your problem.
Quote:
so basically your saying my tune is interrupting there system or my key system, can you explain what the ISTA system does?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
MH20jy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5nyc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
yes i already replaced it, and bmw said it's not the key fob. do you know if the coding and tuning programs interfere with the cars key fob system, i had them over for a year, and the battery died a couple weeks ago, ever since then it stoped working.please let me know if you have any information.
You mean key fob battery right? Are you sure you have the correct battery, and installed on the correct orientation?
      03-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so basically your saying my tune is interrupting there system or my key system, can you explain what the ISTA system does?
No, I am saying that your dealership probably tried to run the update and it failed for some reason. So you should download ISTA and connect to your car to see what is going on. Tune should not interrupt with key system but it can in theory interrupt with system update.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, I am saying that your dealership probably tried to run the update and it failed for some reason. So you should download ISTA and connect to your car to see what is going on. Tune should not interrupt with key system but it can in theory interrupt with system update.
how do i get a ista?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so if i remove the coding and tuning programs, do you think it will fix the issue?, or maybe could it be one of the fuzes?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #10
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

When replacing the keyfob battery, you need to be away from the car and replace it as fast as you can. If you keep the keyfob without battery for long, it might require programming.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #11
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

What about just asking the dealer HOW they determined aftermarket software was causing the problem? Did they try to program the car and it failed? If so what was the error? Get some more information and then you can better determine what might be the issue.

It's unlikely any Bimmercode changes had any effect. The MHD tune might be causing an issue with a dealer scan but again, they should be able to tell you what they tried and what failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #12
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
What about just asking the dealer HOW they determined aftermarket software was causing the problem? Did they try to program the car and it failed? If so what was the error? Get some more information and then you can better determine what might be the issue.

It's unlikely any Bimmercode changes had any effect. The MHD tune might be causing an issue with a dealer scan but again, they should be able to tell you what they tried and what failed.
that's what i'm sayin, they just told me that the programs are inferring with the key system which doesn't make no sense, nothing else. The battery died a couple weeks ago and i shocked it and it was fine, the key battery died on the same day. BMW dealer is a scam, every time i take it to them, they give me a new problem that's not even covered by warranty, and then i'll take it to my boys shop and he said its all good. i don't believe anything they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #13
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
When replacing the keyfob battery, you need to be away from the car and replace it as fast as you can. If you keep the keyfob without battery for long, it might require programming.
Ok, what if i still change it and it still doesn't work, then what. The dealer said it's not the key, the keys system is malfunctioning. but again i don't believe that.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #14
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

Either try another dealer or find a good independent. There has to be an error code. For example your FEM module communicates with the keys and if that is the issue there would be an error. You might want to invest in something like Bimmerlink that might give you an idea what the error is. It's cheap and so are the OBD2 adaptors. You can also buy a cable and download ISTA (there are a lot of posts how to do that)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 03:12 AM   #15
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
Either try another dealer or find a good independent. There has to be an error code. For example your FEM module communicates with the keys and if that is the issue there would be an error. You might want to invest in something like Bimmerlink that might give you an idea what the error is. It's cheap and so are the OBD2 adaptors. You can also buy a cable and download ISTA (there are a lot of posts how to do that)
i have but don't know how to pull codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
In another thread you mentioned you have the BimmerLink app. You can pull error codes from your BMW’s control modules with that app. If you don’t know how to use the program, there are videos on YouTube that walks through what the Bimmerlink app can do.

Look for the module/modules that have error codes related to your issue and it should help figure out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
BimmerLink is what you want for diagnostics.

Quote:
i have that too, can i use that or do i have to buy those ob2 scanners like the mechanics?
Quote:
i have it so i could open the exhaust value, i only used the diagnostic once…my question is, is bimmerlink good as ob2 scanners?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-07-2022 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #17
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
In another thread you mentioned you have the BimmerLink app. You can pull error codes from your BMW’s control modules with that app. If you don’t know how to use the program, there are videos on YouTube that walks through what the Bimmerlink app can do.

Look for the module/modules that have error codes related to your issue and it should help figure out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
BimmerLink is what you want for diagnostics.

Quote:
i have that too, can i use that or do i have to buy those ob2 scanners like the mechanics?
Quote:
i have it so i could open the exhaust value, i only used the diagnostic once…my question is, is bimmerlink good as ob2 scanners?
i already used bimmerlink with the diagnosis and it didn't said there's nothing with that one.
Appreciate 0