BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Replacing NBT (iDrive 4.0) with Android - what options?

Hi all,

What’s been people’s experience replacing the iDrive screen with Android? I’ve done this on a number of cars but the general problem tends to be that either some functionality is lost, or audio is replaced by a 2-channel setup. Anyone done this for iDrive 4.0, what are the downsides? What about parking sensors, rear view camera, reusing OEM GPS wiring, mic, other stuff? How smoothly does it integrate? I wouldn’t be buying AVIN (as they’re too far from me) - just getting an Aliexpress device, which are probably all similar.

Thanks!
      03-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
You cannot and do replace iDrive with android.

Android head units only replace the iDrive screen. The iDrive head unit will still exist and provide all the functionality it does now

03-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Not all all similar, and some advertise false specs that you don't realize until you get it lol.

I have an android 10 unit on mine.

PROS:
-It's a tablet with more functionality than just having CarPlay or Android Auto.

-the Android side is touch screen, so it's faster to navigate through it all

-you can have any app that's for android on it (HBO Max, Discord, Pluto TV, Messenger, Amazon Prime, anything, etc.). Great for when you're at rest stops.

-log in with your Android account and anything you download you can send directly to your vehicle and it'll download it next time you turn your vehicle on.

-you can use your OEM cameras, it's setup so that when you put your vehicle in Reserve, it switches over seamlessly to OEM and displays your camera/s.

-you can use your EOM GPS, they sell a splitter that lets you tap into the GPS signal. Very easy to install.

-you can integrate love OTA TV module, if you want to watch TV.

-has a slot for SIM and memory card

-You can change the look to give it a more personalized style.

CONS:
-yes audio is a Con, however.. you can always route your audio through your OEM and not the Android interface. I only use the android Bluetooth to connect to CarPlay, after it connects I switch it on my phone to BMW OEM and all my sound is heard via the B&O. You get used to switching it after a while.

-the integrated microphone is kinda crappy, so stick to your OEM sound setup like above.

-seems like most sellers are bad about proving updates to these units. But there's a Discord channel where the guys running it post all the updates so if you join, you can always have the latest update downloaded via Mega.

These are my observations/experience. I don't have problems with my unit. I bought mine from 4x4CA, and although a bit pricey it is what they advertised. The install was pretty straight forward, just have to get all that extra cabling in there the best you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #4
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Not all all similar, and some advertise false specs that you don't realize until you get it lol.

PROS:
-It's a tablet with more functionality than just having CarPlay or Android Auto.

-you can have any app that's for android on it (HBO Max, Discord, Pluto TV, Messenger, Amazon Prime, anything, etc.). Great for when you're at rest stops.

-log in with your Android account and anything you download you can send directly to your vehicle and it'll download it next time you turn your vehicle on.

-you can use your OEM cameras, it's setup so that when you put your vehicle in Reserve, it switches over seamlessly to OEM and displays your camera/s.

-you can use your EOM GPS, they sell a splitter that lets you tap into the GPS signal. Very easy to install.

CONS:
-yes audio is a Con, however.. you can always route your audio through your OEM and not the Android interface. I only use the android Bluetooth to connect to CarPlay, after it connects I switch it on my phone to BMW OEM and all my sound is heard via the B&O. You get used to switching it after a while.

-the integrated microphone is kinda crappy, so stick to your OEM sound setup like above.

-seems like most sellers are bad about proving updates to these units. But there's a Discord channel where the guys running it post all the updates so if you join, you can always have the latest update downloaded via Mega.

These are my observations/experience. I don't have problems with my unit. I bought mine from 4x4CA, and although a bit pricey it is what they advertised. The install was pretty straight forward, just have to get all that extra cabling in there the best you can.
Thanks. So hang on ... couple of questions.

- How does the Android unit connect to audio? I normally play audio from the Android unit (I basically use Youtube as a radio station); does it use the fiber optic box that converts to 2 channels RCA, or does it connect via Bluetooth? Or you play all audio content from your phone?
- What is the Discord channel? Maybe I will go check with them there what the best Aliexpress device is (I'm currently outside NA, so 4x4CA isn't a good source for me).
      03-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Quote:

PROS:

CONS:

Thanks. So hang on ... couple of questions.

- How does the Android unit connect to audio? I normally play audio from the Android unit (I basically use Youtube as a radio station); does it use the fiber optic box that converts to 2 channels RCA, or does it connect via Bluetooth? Or you play all audio content from your phone?
- What is the Discord channel? Maybe I will go check with them there what the best Aliexpress device is (I'm currently outside NA, so 4x4CA isn't a good source for me).
1st question: Both
Audio is connected in the back with the fiber, via the harness adapter you'll get with your Android Unit.

Since it's a phablet, you choose to use you tube app on the Android Unit, or send the audio via your phone if you're using your phone.

2nd Question: Discord Channel

It's a place where everyone/anyone can ask questions about the Android units, get firmware/software upgrades, app upgrades, and just ask general question for troubleshooting.

When it comes to where to buy from and who, they will not recommend anyone as it's YOUR MONEY and they don't sponsor any seller. If you were to ask that question there, you're not gonna get the answer you desire. Your best bet is to go with a seller who's selling what they say they are (AVINUSA, 4x4CA, etc.)

You can find videos on you tube of how these units work, and how to install them.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:23 PM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
CONS:
Sorry for the onslaught of dumb questions, am I understanding this correctly?

So you connect your Android Phone to the Cars OEM Bluetooth and steam from Phone to the OEM via Bluetooth?
or
The Android Head Unit connected to Cars OEM Bluetooth and steams via the Bluetooth connection?

Is this better for sound quality than the AUX input way that most seem to go via. If so, why?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #7
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Sorry for the onslaught of dumb questions, am I understanding this correctly?

So you connect your Android Phone to the Cars OEM Bluetooth and steam from Phone to the OEM via Bluetooth?
or
The Android Head Unit connected to Cars OEM Bluetooth and steams via the Bluetooth connection?

Is this better for sound quality than the AUX input way that most seem to go via. If so, why?
I’m going to draft-answer this based on what I’ve seen on other similar units - I suspect this shouldn’t be any different but please tell me if I’m wrong. On VAG (Audi and Porsche) and Mercedes, they all have a fiber box that taps into the fiber network, but the output from the unit itself is effectively a 3.5mm 2-channel jack. So the sound quality … well, you have some choices to make.

What’s interesting here is that you retain the OEM system, just replacing the screen … so I guess you do have some options (like Bluetooth). But you definitely can’t BT to the unit and then BT to the OEM audio system, that much I’m
certain of, as it would need multiple BT adapters etc.
      03-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I’m going to draft-answer this based on what I’ve seen on other similar units - I suspect this shouldn’t be any different but please tell me if I’m wrong. On VAG (Audi and Porsche) and Mercedes, they all have a fiber box that taps into the fiber network, but the output from the unit itself is effectively a 3.5mm 2-channel jack. So the sound quality … well, you have some choices to make.
This I knew, that even though there is a fibre connection it either A) simulates the 3.5 or B) has a dedicated 3.5 cable. = terrible sound.

XxBBVTMxX seems to be doing some paring, so I'm curious what this is? Where does the Bluetooth come in? Is there a native digital only way/connection.

Quote:
What’s interesting here is that you retain the OEM system, just replacing the screen … so I guess you do have some options (like Bluetooth). But you definitely can’t BT to the unit and then BT to the OEM audio system, that much I’m
Figured as much, just XxB, seems to be doing allot of Bluetooth, paring and phone. So I'm just curious what is pared to what and what's the advantage.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:09 PM   #9
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm going to draft-answer this based on what I've seen on other similar units - I suspect this shouldn't be any different but please tell me if I'm wrong. On VAG (Audi and Porsche) and Mercedes, they all have a fiber box that taps into the fiber network, but the output from the unit itself is effectively a 3.5mm 2-channel jack. So the sound quality … well, you have some choices to make.
This I knew, that even though there is a fibre connection it either A) simulates the 3.5 or B) has a dedicated 3.5 cable. = terrible sound.

XxBBVTMxX seems to be doing some paring, so I'm curious what this is? Where does the Bluetooth come in? Is there a native digital only way/connection.

Quote:
What's interesting here is that you retain the OEM system, just replacing the screen … so I guess you do have some options (like Bluetooth). But you definitely can't BT to the unit and then BT to the OEM audio system, that much I'm
Figured as much, just XxB, seems to be doing allot of Bluetooth, paring and phone. So I'm just curious what is pared to what and what's the advantage.
Alright, let me explain it better so everyone understands…

Android Head-unit
Bluetooth is used for:
a) play audio from your phone
b) initial connection for CarPlay

You can choose to turn this Bluetooth off, but then you won't be able to use wireless CarPlay because it needs that initial connection and then pushes it over to wi-fi.

Wi-Fi used for:
a) CarPlay
b) downloading apps
c) updating apps
d) using android apps
e) surfing the web

Initially, wi-fi is strictly set up only for CarPlay. You have to enable manually if you want to use it for the above (b-e)

If your OEM sound system comes with fiber, you must connect it in order to get ANY sound period.

You can choose to listen to sound via the Android Screen which is setup to use the "Line In" selection, or you can choose to use your regular connection of Bluetooth or USB cable. All you have to do is connect to both Bluetooth's (OEM and Android) and then you select via your phone or connected device where you want the music to play to as long as it matches your car. So…

USB - Select USB on car and voila

Bluetooth - Select BMW or (what ever you decide to name your Android Bluetooth) and voila

It's seriously not that complicated. You decide what sound you want to use.

I use OEM sound on mine because I have B&O and it sounds great! I don't use the line in because I feel that the Android sound is not that good, and yes, it plays through all your speakers.. but still, not a fan.

All phone calls will get routed to the Android side, so after you pick it up just put it on BMW and it'll route the call through the OEM system. (You should only have to do this once, after the first time it should remember what you selected and route it that way)

You can choose to listen to radio if you want to, all your iDrive controls work. You just have OEM operating system and Android, you choose which one you want to see on the screen at any time you want… it's easy and you get used to it.

Hopefully this explains and kills any doubts on audio.
Appreciate 1
Chilled363.50
      03-20-2022, 11:11 PM   #10
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

It's a place where everyone/anyone can ask questions about the Android units, get firmware/software upgrades, app upgrades, and just ask general question for troubleshooting.

When it comes to where to buy from and who, they will not recommend anyone as it's YOUR MONEY and they don't sponsor any seller. If you were to ask that question there, you're not gonna get the answer you desire. Your best bet is to go with a seller who's selling what they say they are (AVINUSA, 4x4CA, etc.)

You can find videos on you tube of how these units work, and how to install them.
Wait, I know what Discord is lol (sorry, my reply was unclear), but _what_ is the channel
      03-20-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, I know what Discord is lol (sorry, my reply was unclear), but _what_ is the channel
Look for Automotive Android Headunits
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #12
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and before anyone asks… no, all you're found is putting a harness between the OEM and the Android screen and flipping a few cables around. No cutting, nothing crazy that will mess up your OEM Wiring (unless of course you have Hulk strength and Fingers)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #13
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can choose to listen to sound via the Android Screen which is setup to use the "Line In" selection, or you can choose to use your regular connection of Bluetooth or USB cable. All you have to do is connect to both Bluetooth's (OEM and Android) and then you select via your phone or connected device where you want the music to play to as long as it matches your car. So…

Bluetooth - Select BMW or (what ever you decide to name your Android Bluetooth) and voila

I use OEM sound on mine because I have B&O and it sounds great! I don't use the line in because I feel that the Android sound is not that good, and yes, it plays through all your speakers.. but still, not a fan.
Ok, yep. So if you have a USB (with mp3/flac,ect) drive. You plug that into the cars OEM USB port, not the Android HU and play via OEM path.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:49 PM   #14
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, yep. So if you have a USB (with mp3/flac,ect) drive. You plug that into the cars OEM USB port, not the Android HU and play via OEM path.
Any way you want
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #15
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

XxBBVTMxX , So if I'm using the Androind HU as the source for the Audio. What are the option to get it to the OEM. As in, apart from Bluetooth and 3.5mm. Is there a native fully digital/loss less imput method? Or is the 3.5mm/Bluetooth the only way?

And does the Android HU, have a RCA out for Sub and a trigger line?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #16
foo2002
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 30D

Here in this thread you can find information about Screens on Andriod 11:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1832178

------
and for actual (normal in market) Andriod 10 (with more information, pics, specs, etc)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699764
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:27 PM   #17
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
XxBBVTMxX , So if I'm using the Androind HU as the source for the Audio. What are the option to get it to the OEM. As in, apart from Bluetooth and 3.5mm. Is there a native fully digital/loss less imput method? Or is the 3.5mm/Bluetooth the only way?

Chatting with the Discord folks, it looks like there is no way to go digital
However, using a USB DAC, like the Fiio E10K, seems to help quite a lot.
      03-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #18
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo2002 View Post
Here in this thread you can find information about Screens on Andriod 11:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1832178

------
and for actual (normal in market) Andriod 10 (with more information, pics, specs, etc)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699764
Ahh this is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. Thanks!
      03-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #19
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Chatting with the Discord folks, it looks like there is no way to go digital
However, using a USB DAC, like the Fiio E10K, seems to help quite a lot.
I actually have one of those somewhere.

Hmm, so output from Android HU to E10K via USB and then out via the 1/4" and into the 3.5mm.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #20
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You can use Bluetooth or USB for audio.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:40 AM   #21
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can use Bluetooth or USB for audio.
Are you saying there is an Internal/external connection from the Android HU to the Cars OEM system. This will allow the music that is been played by the Android HU and go via a USB(digital) connection to the Cars OEM? Not via the Aux(3.5mm)/Bluetooth. Because that is how most of them are and that is what Pseudo Nim found in the discord.

I'm not talking about input music to the car or Android HU. Both take USB and Bluetooth. I'm talking about playing the music that is already on the Android HU via the OEM speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:52 AM   #22
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying there is an Internal/external connection from the Android HU to the Cars OEM system. This will allow the music that is been played by the Android HU and go via a USB(digital) connection to the Cars OEM? Not via the Aux(3.5mm)/Bluetooth. Because that is how most of them are and that is what Pseudo Nim found in the discord.

I'm not talking about input music to the car or Android HU. Both take USB and Bluetooth. I'm talking about playing the music that is already on the Android HU via the OEM speakers.
Based on my past experience with these units (Audi, Mercedes, etc), there is only one Bluetooth transmitter on the device, and it does not support outputting via A2DP (which you need for streaming audio). I don’t think this is any different here.

Though I wonder if you COULD use a USB Bluetooth adapter and output via that … but I did have this discussion with one of the manufacturers some time ago and it was not possible for whatever reason, at least at the time.