BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2023, 12:40 PM   #1
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

4x4 CA 12.3 Inch Android Screen review.

This is a quick review of 4x4 Ca's 12.3" android screen. I understand that many of you do not like these screens but they are incredibly useful to me for my long drives. If you are stuck with the NBT system, this gives your car a much more modern look. I already have youtube, Netflix, Amazon video, youtube music, and Waze installed. Entering navigation directions as easily as you do on your phone is a godsend as the BMW system is maddening.

Rating 8.5 out 10

I bought the 12.3'' Snapdragon Android 12 - 8G RAM + 256G ROM kit. The installation of these kits is of medium difficulty and I am bordering on novice installation skills. The difficulty stems from knowing what is actually needed based on what they supply. You are told to install a GPS antenna and the 4G antenna and connect the system to the middle speaker. I did all of these and then removed them and the system still worked as I need. YMMV. Tech support via email was adequate but prompt in response. When I couldn't get sound, they were able to recommend a few things (didn't help) but I found a video on their site that also solved the problem (Harness was not snapped all the way in).

Small issues to be aware of
* Screen comes with an auto-dim that is maddeningly dark. Removed it in factory defaults and it works great.
* Wifi does not always automatically start when the system starts. Sometimes I have to swipe down on the screen to start wifi.
* Screen has a little bit of movement when touched (very little) due to size. This might have been due to my lack of quality installation skills. I think the 10-inch would fit much better.
*Transition to and from OEM system to android screen sometimes is instant sometimes has a 1-2 sec delay.
* Would like to be able to customize the launcher a bit more as far as colors. The main system is blue with the choice of changing the highlights to a couple of colors. I matched the highlights to the blue scheme but would love to make the overall system match our orange interior lighting scheme.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0