BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

NY Inspection

5 boroughs mbrs. anyone who got their vehicle pass inspection without taking off your tints..can you pls share the shop by PM.. promise to keep this discrete...
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmassive75 View Post
5 boroughs mbrs. anyone who got their vehicle pass inspection without taking off your tints..can you pls share the shop by PM.. promise to keep this discrete...
Where in NY are you? I went to the Asian auto shop to get mine done a few months ago
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
qocerhuang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 50i

No way, but if you know the owner or get the prescription from the doctor.

What form do I submit if I want to apply for a Tinted Window Exemption?
Submit a Application for Tinted Window Exemption (MV-80W)

What medical conditions would be considered for Tinted Window Exemption?
Porphyria
Xeroderma Pigmentosa
severe drug photosensitivity
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Had tint in all my cars, never ever had issue with inspection, they barely look at the vehicle. Best is get it done during your annual service at dealer, they will never question anything.
      10-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
My dealer specifically told me they cannot pass me if I go to them for inspection. But thats okay, because I wasn't going to them anyways seeing my Asian guy will be fine with my tinted side windows and windshield. Sorry my guy says he doesn't do inspections for new customers now cause he got fined and lost inspection abilities for a month by an undercover "customer" for skipping the tint check.
      10-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Do you guys have a tint place in NYC who does a good job? I don't know who my last BMW dealer used, it was a mean tint job, near edge cut was perfect. No ugly bare strip on top of the glass. I didn't get a BMW so I can't ask him where he got my X5 tinted. I doubt dealers do the tint. If they do, would it be awkward to bring an Audi to get it tinted here. Will they sneeze on my steering wheel?
      10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Do you guys have a tint place in NYC who does a good job? I don't know who my last BMW dealer used, it was a mean tint job, near edge cut was perfect. No ugly bare strip on top of the glass. I didn't get a BMW so I can't ask him where he got my X5 tinted. I doubt dealers do the tint. If they do, would it be awkward to bring an Audi to get it tinted here. Will they sneeze on my steering wheel?
i used these guys..The Tint Shop Inc
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know exactly where they are, will give them a call. Thanks.
      10-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Geddy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Also used them for a clear bra on another car and was very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Allright folks, everything I said above is now NULL and Void, because it turns out the state inspection just recently added tint inspection... Since my last inspection was before the tint law, I never had problems, so I don't want anyone to expect their dealer to pass inspection I thought it's all fair that I come back and post.

Here:
Window tint testing has recently been added to the annual vehicle inspection process
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

Incredible, they also will NOT allow rear tints on sedans either.. SUVs are safe.
The reason for tint law seems to be that they want cops to be able to see inside.. Why can't they require them to roll the windows down during a routine stop? Makes no sense to me. They should require car manufacturers to have auto roll down from driver instead..

Just another reason to move out of NY honestly.. Luckily we have SUVs so we are good.
      11-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Allright folks, everything I said above is now NULL and Void, because it turns out the state inspection just recently added tint inspection... Since my last inspection was before the tint law, I never had problems, so I don't want anyone to expect their dealer to pass inspection I thought it's all fair that I come back and post.

Here:
Window tint testing has recently been added to the annual vehicle inspection process
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

Incredible, they also will NOT allow rear tints on sedans either.. SUVs are safe.
The reason for tint law seems to be that they want cops to be able to see inside.. Why can't they require them to roll the windows down during a routine stop? Makes no sense to me. They should require car manufacturers to have auto roll down from driver instead..

Just another reason to move out of NY honestly.. Luckily we have SUVs so we are good.
Good catch.

I believe it's very hard to enforce drivers actively rolling down their windows when pulled over.

I recalled my HS teacher ever told us that, if you're pulled over, no matter you're right or wrong, don't be panic, you need to roll down all of your windows to the half or more, and put both of your hands on the steering wheel, and ask for the permission to act, for example, my driver license is in my wallet in the pocket, can I take it out?

Everyone thinks this is the joke at the time, but I believe this truly saves some troubles for many people.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Good catch.

I believe it's very hard to enforce drivers actively rolling down their windows when pulled over.

I recalled my HS teacher ever told us that, if you're pulled over, no matter you're right or wrong, don't be panic, you need to roll down all of your windows to the half or more, and put both of your hands on the steering wheel, and ask for the permission to act, for example, my driver license is in my wallet in the pocket, can I take it out?

Everyone thinks this is the joke at the time, but I believe this truly saves some troubles for many people.

Definitely, it also helps you avoid getting a ticket if your driver and passenger windows are tinted..

Can we get the number of the "asian guy" you guys have? You can PM me instead of posting it publicly. I have a feeling that cops will worry less about tint, instead will pass the responsibility to inspection places, and inspection place can always claim "they must have gotten tint after inspection".

Does anyone know what's the penalty for tint ticket?
I know if you are pulled over it's ticket+driving cop surcharge, but I am not sure if they are even allowed to write a ticket if your car is parked and they cannot access interior to check with a light meter, or if you have permit/condition.
      11-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
My inspection is due in December and dealership wont do my inspection because my front windows are tint. Their fee to remove the tints is $290 lol

Any luck getting inspection done with tints?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
My inspection is due in December and dealership wont do my inspection because my front windows are tint. Their fee to remove the tints is $290 lol

Any luck getting inspection done with tints?
Remove and reapply after inspection. Price you pay to break the law
And my understanding is NYC is annually now? Might as well forego the tinting now unless you don't mind spending couple of hundreds on tints yearly.
      11-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What are the rules in NY? You cannot have a tint whatsoever?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #16
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. A video about this change is available on YouTube.

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
station wagon
sedan
hardtop
coupe
hatchback
convertible

I was given two tickets for my old car earlier in the year and think it was around $80 per window.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00
      11-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Remove and reapply after inspection. Price you pay to break the law
And my understanding is NYC is annually now? Might as well forego the tinting now unless you don't mind spending couple of hundreds on tints yearly.
What will happen to tint shops...im sure this law will hurt their business. Does the law apply to NYPD unmark cars lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
What will happen to tint shops...im sure this law will hurt their business. Does the law apply to NYPD unmark cars lol
LOL I agree with you. I've heard of a few friends who have gone to shops that will pass your tint inspections if you toss a little tip $$. Another thing you can do is befriend a NYPD and hope that he can give you a PBA car aka get out of jail free card.

Fortunately for me in Jersey we don't need to do inspections as frequently.
      12-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Could help them as I know some people that will spend a couple hundred each year to take tint of for inspection and put it back on.

Everyone also has the option to not break the law
Appreciate 0