BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

X5 40e long trip strategy?

What is the difference in electric availability between putting the 40e drivetrain in Sport vs. Comfort on a long trip? I just finished a 1500 mile trip in which I did not use any wall charging. I was in comfort all the way. I did not notice any agressive use of energy recapture during the drive. For instance, when using the adaptive cruise control and a car/truck would pull out into my lane inside the distance the computer thought should be maintained between me and the other vehicle; the car would brake, rather than use energy recapture to slow. Also, the car ran the battery down to 10% and just left it there (mostly level driving). Would "Sport" have made any difference in energy recapture and battery charge?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Pkitch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 4.0e iPerformance

In Sport you'll definitely see better regenerative battery capture, but also a lot more engine, battery (for boost) and gas usage when not in electric due to the shaper throttle response and associated throttle boosting. Sport will also hang on to gears longer, and although won't stay in 7th (not 8th like other models) indefinitely when cruising at highway speeds, will stay there also a lot longer. I also believe that in Auto/Comfort the engine will cut sooner whereas Sport will wait until you actually stop motion before shutting down.

Overall you would have hugely offset electric recuperation with significantly increased gas usage.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00