BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Service Records from Key Fob?

All,

Taking my X5 in to the dealer for service for the first time, I thought I read somewhere that any dealership can print out the historical service records for you if they have your key fob, is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
All,

Taking my X5 in to the dealer for service for the first time, I thought I read somewhere that any dealership can print out the historical service records for you if they have your key fob, is that correct?
Yes, they can pull the service records with the fob. When I bought my car, I asked my SA to pull everything so I had the history.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Yes, they can pull the service records with the fob. When I bought my car, I asked my SA to pull everything so I had the history.
Thanks, that is the same reason I want them.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Technically they don't pull anything from the key fob.

It's all stored on some BMW server, so they don't need a fob to get the records. It just makes a hella faster than keying in VINs for every single car.

I think the only thing the keyfob stores is next service date/mileage and what service, but details all come from a server.
      12-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

It's all stored on some BMW server, so they don't need a fob to get the records. It just makes a hella faster than keying in VINs for every single car.

I think the only thing the keyfob stores is next service date/mileage and what service, but details all come from a server.
Thanks, I was able to get my history from them yesterday. Now if I could just find the maintenance schedule in hardcopy .. don't like the fact that they can say, "oh you are do for cabin filter (a big dealer ripoff)" without me being able to check the recommended service interval. While the car is still under warranty I want to be mindful of all the service requirements (and after warranty).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I was able to get my history from them yesterday. Now if I could just find the maintenance schedule in hardcopy .. don't like the fact that they can say, "oh you are do for cabin filter (a big dealer ripoff)" without me being able to check the recommended service interval. While the car is still under warranty I want to be mindful of all the service requirements (and after warranty).
Service books:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx

All these parts are available online from places like Amazon.

Cabin filter is every second service miles depending what your computer says

Intake is every third service.

My car interval for some reason is around 10,000 miles, but I do my own service at 5000 miles. I replace my air filters at 20,000 miles. Better safe than sorry.
      12-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Service books:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx

All these parts are available online from places like Amazon.

Cabin filter is every second service miles depending what your computer says

Intake is every third service.

My car interval for some reason is around 10,000 miles, but I do my own service at 5000 miles. I replace my air filters at 20,000 miles. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks, yeah I'll do the filters and such on my own. Just need to figure out how to tell the vehicle I did them. New to the BMW world.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Quote:

The key fob stores the VIN and mileage of the car.
Appreciate 0