BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #89
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofrese1 View Post
Your welcome! You are not the first person that reported a loss of power after installing the JB tuner on the 17 model. BMW must have changed something on the 17 model. I have a 16 X5 50i and I do feel like it has a more pep and the throttle response is a lot more responsive with the JB tuner on. I've also notice on the sport displays that it is right on the 480 mark now. I would def contact Terry from BMS on this issue.
Hi lofrese1, have you had a chance to compare the timings with and without the tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #90
Rich15-50i
Rep
Drives: 2015 X-5 50i MSport

[QUOTE=iconoclast;21527584]It's not a "truck".

A history note. Back in the 1970's, some of us more "mature" board members may of even have been driving back then and remember the "Oil Embargo" and gas station lines. The Federal government felt pressured to do something. Their answer, the EPA released CAFE numbers(Corporate Ave. Fuel Economy) limits on all car makers. Early 70's big wagons were really BIG. A Chevy full sized wagon could swallow a 4'x8' sheet of plywd and then close the gate! Trouble was, it's 454 cubic inch motor was lucky to see 8-12 mpg during EPA tests.

Light trucks, read pickups, did not fall under this CAFE law on MPG or safety equipment laws. The answer to this big car problem? Hello SUV! All SUVs, built off truck platforms back then, were considered at that time to be TRUCKS under Federal EPA CAFE regs. and did NOT count in CAFE limits! Or saftey requirements.

The Big Three could sell their big SUVs, cancel out their station wagon model lines and greatly improve their CAFE numbers, as required under the law.

Don't know if that situation ever was changed when most SUVs went uni-body, but would think not. With today's CAFE numbers reaching into the 30s, 40's and even taliking about 50s, SUVs would of be gone years ago, replaced by Honda Fit like platforms and sizes.

So, we may in fact be driving trucks as far as the US government is concerned! Just thought I'd throw another log on this "truck" fire

I totally agree with all the 50 owners, these things are a blast to drive. My 2015 CPO 50 M Sport brings back some of the memories of driving my Chevelle SS454. Back then, pre-turbos, NOS and other aids to performance, the rule of the day was "No replacement for displacement." Back then a 268 cubic iinch(4.4 liters) would of been considered a "mouse" motor. My, how times have changed!
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
lofrese1264.00