BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i

Unhappy Tire help

I know this has been beaten to death but...help me out:

I have maybe 9k on my 2016 X5d and have had 4 tire punctures in 6 months. Already replaced one rear (pricey Conti RFTs) due to non-repairable side wall puncture. Just got another puncture in the brand new tire
Plugged it for now but Conti apparently does not allow repairs to their RFTs.
So now I'm facing the ultimate dilemma - stick with stock RFTs, swap to another RFT or ditch the RFTs altogether for a regular tire. Car did not come with spare and I like my trunk space to haul kid stuff (strollers and other crap).
Also, like the RFTs because I don't wanna be stuck with a flat waiting for roadside assistance if I'm rushing to work (on call a lot so need to be places fast!). Hubby insists on going to non-RFTs...

Side note - I do have MPSS on my Z4 (ditched the stock RFTs almost immediately) and love love that tire. No spare there either but I rarely drive the car anymore and somehow managed to avoid punctures! Unfortunately they don't come in the X5 sizes 275/40/R20 and 315/35R20

Given my situation - what tire would you buy? (I live in south TX, drive mostly city, very little highway, terrible roads however and lots of nails I guess )
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluch View Post
I know this has been beaten to death but...help me out:

I have maybe 9k on my 2016 X5d and have had 4 tire punctures in 6 months. Already replaced one rear (pricey Conti RFTs) due to non-repairable side wall puncture. Just got another puncture in the brand new tire
Plugged it for now but Conti apparently does not allow repairs to their RFTs.
So now I'm facing the ultimate dilemma - stick with stock RFTs, swap to another RFT or ditch the RFTs altogether for a regular tire. Car did not come with spare and I like my trunk space to haul kid stuff (strollers and other crap).
Also, like the RFTs because I don't wanna be stuck with a flat waiting for roadside assistance if I'm rushing to work (on call a lot so need to be places fast!). Hubby insists on going to non-RFTs...

Side note - I do have MPSS on my Z4 (ditched the stock RFTs almost immediately) and love love that tire. No spare there either but I rarely drive the car anymore and somehow managed to avoid punctures! Unfortunately they don't come in the X5 sizes 275/40/R20 and 315/35R20

Given my situation - what tire would you buy? (I live in south TX, drive mostly city, very little highway, terrible roads however and lots of nails I guess )
Could just be bad timing. I work at a place that has many nails in the parking lot everyday; some years I get zero punctures; other years 2 or 3...but luckily they've been able to be patched...get tire insurance when you buy your tires and they pay for puncture repairs or a new tire if they can't repair; likely the only way to mitigate the situation...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Could just be bad timing. I work at a place that has many nails in the parking lot everyday; some years I get zero punctures; other years 2 or 3...but luckily they've been able to be patched...get tire insurance when you buy your tires and they pay for puncture repairs or a new tire if they can't repair; likely the only way to mitigate the situation...
well, I now regret not getting the wheel/tire insurance when I bought the car...
but I think BMW wanted like 2K for that :thumb down

Anyways, I'm really leaning toward NRFs... got the luxury of having a spare car if have to wait for a replacement to be shipped I guess
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
well, I now regret not getting the wheel/tire insurance when I bought the car...
but I think BMW wanted like 2K for that :thumb down

Anyways, I'm really leaning toward NRFs... got the luxury of having a spare car if have to wait for a replacement to be shipped I guess
You could buy the tires from Tire rack or similar who either has tire insurance included with purchase or available as a nominal add on; much more affordable than the dealers rip off prices. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah just looked at Discount Tire - $170 for insurance on a set - pays for itself with one replacement... I'm gonna wait till they have a good sale though.
Decided on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

good choice. Even living in southern states, I still recommend an all-season non-run flat for the X5 for carry family around. It'll mellow out the 20 inch wheels harshness as well.

All-seasons also has superb wear rates and a great rain tires.

If you wait for a discount tire sale, they also sell Nitto Motivo All -Seasons and I got my set (OEM 20 sizes) for $750 shipped. They are great tires and on par with DWS. IMO, no real reason by DWS is worth the premium. I've had them for a year now and also took them into light snow. A set of DWS 20s will run you $1500 or so...imagine what you can buy your kids for that extra $700...

There are many E70 X5 owners using Motivos. I have more links from other forums if you want to read experiences. There was even a member that took his 20 inch Motivos on an off-road sand course.
      04-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah just looked at Discount Tire - $170 for insurance on a set - pays for itself with one replacement... I'm gonna wait till they have a good sale though.
Decided on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06.
Get choice!! I have been happy with the DWS06 for years now. I have them on both of my vehicles. Excellent in the snow, wet and dry. I picked mine up from TireRack because they have FREE road hazard warranty.
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 1
maluch3.00
      04-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
maluch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
There are many E70 X5 owners using Motivos. I have more links from other forums if you want to read experiences. There was even a member that took his 20 inch Motivos on an off-road sand course.
now you intrigue me... we don't take it to the beach much (I just can't take it when the sand gets everywhere) but on an off occasion we might be forced to...
I'd love to check out those other reviews!
TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
now you intrigue me... we don't take it to the beach much (I just can't take it when the sand gets everywhere) but on an off occasion we might be forced to...
I'd love to check out those other reviews!
TIA

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=878101

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=885811

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=823089

2nd link also has a member who logged his miles on his Motivo to give you an idea of tread wear.

Seriously, I think alot of people who tout DWS hasn't really used other all-seasons enough to know most named-brand all-seaons all perform the same.

For my 3 cars I've owned, I driven on Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S, DWS, Yokohama Advan S4 and Motivos. All feels the same driving around town and light snow.