BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Very Cheap Charge pipe from Taiwan!

Lately, I have been looking to upgrade my charge pipe. Mainly a protective measure so I don't have to deal with a broken CP since am running more boost.

Am not looking to spend $300+ on this thing. So, is it a good idea to buy some cheap CP off Ebay like the one below? just in case if I below mine I can replace it quickly!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Why you go cheap if you are looking for upgrade?
PM me your location and I'll hook you up on a good product at a good price. So you won't regret it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Why you go cheap if you are looking for upgrade?
PM me your location and I'll hook you up on a good product at a good price. So you won't regret it.
This actually has good reviews from the the few people who bought it. blieve me I did my homework! plus anything is better than OEM plastic CP
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      12-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
This actually has good reviews from the the few people who bought it. blieve me I did my homework! plus anything is better than OEM plastic CP
is this pipe still an issue for cracking?
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

$80,000 SUV but cheaps out on a $300 part...
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I think so.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #7
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
$80,000 SUV but cheaps out on a $300 part...
Bmw is the ones cheaping out putting plastic, which have been known to blow even at stock level.

I might not install this at all. I just dont want to be stranded somewhere because of this.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

OP, sounds like you're torn/wanting help with your conscience to upgrade at rock bottom prices.
On one hand, you yourself called it a "cheap eBay" find, which means you don't have a lot of confidence in it to begin with. You said it was for insurance in case the stock unit cracks. If you really want it to keep on hand as a backup so that downtime is minimized, go for it. Absolutely would be cheap insurance. I personally doubt the stock unit would fail unless you're constantly at WOT every single day.
Now if you're looking to upgrade for the look of shiny metal vs black plastic or any perceived perf increase, then as others have said, spend a little more for proven fit/finish since you're going to spend time/money installing it. You've already spent some money on a tune since you said you're running higher boost so why not invest in a better unit? The eBay one may have questionable welds/build quality, etc. so do you really want to receive it and spend time taking out the stock unit just to discover the new one is just a tad bit off? Ben's already offered to hook you up, so I'd take him up on it.
Red flag to me on the actual eBay item is that they are offering Best Offer on the $120 listing, which means they'll prob take $80 for it. That calls into question the quality (at least for me).
      12-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
OP, sounds like you're torn/wanting help with your conscience to upgrade at rock bottom prices.
On one hand, you yourself called it a "cheap eBay" find, which means you don't have a lot of confidence in it to begin with. You said it was for insurance in case the stock unit cracks. If you really want it to keep on hand as a backup so that downtime is minimized, go for it. Absolutely would be cheap insurance. I personally doubt the stock unit would fail unless you're constantly at WOT every single day.
Now if you're looking to upgrade for the look of shiny metal vs black plastic or any perceived perf increase, then as others have said, spend a little more for proven fit/finish since you're going to spend time/money installing it. You've already spent some money on a tune since you said you're running higher boost so why not invest in a better unit? The eBay one may have questionable welds/build quality, etc. so do you really want to receive it and spend time taking out the stock unit just to discover the new one is just a tad bit off? Ben's already offered to hook you up, so I'd take him up on it.
Red flag to me on the actual eBay item is that they are offering Best Offer on the $120 listing, which means they'll prob take $80 for it. That calls into question the quality (at least for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Yes, its just cheap insurance for me. Thanks for the detailed reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #10
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
a lot of other things would fail before that pipe in my opinion. nobody on this forum has ever mentioned having an issue.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #11
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
a lot of other things would fail before that pipe in my opinion. nobody on this forum has ever mentioned having an issue.
That makes me feel better. Leaning towards not getting this thing, there are no other benefits after all.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That makes me feel better. Leaning towards not getting this thing, there are no other benefits after all.
That is depending on how much boost are you running.
I had it on mine with all of those mods, it help the boost delivery since aluminum pipe doesn't expend under high pressure of boost.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1