BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Just ordered the part and a full screwdriver set that includes t20 torx screw top - looking forward to freeing up some space!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #24
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi
I believe the screws are T20 torx screws. I did the mod today. The previous posts were invaluable, especially the post covering how to unclip the cables - that was the toughest part. Total time about 15 minutes.
I am sorry about that.
I thought that steps doesn't need explanation since unplugging is pretty straight forward.
Just find the pressable end of the plug and pull it apart.
R33 - certainly no apologies needed. Your excellent post, with photos, was what convinced me this was something I could easily take on myself. As for getting the wire clips apart, for my "older" eyes, it was good to have a few clues about how they came apart, especially the lever on the largest connector as my ability to see fine details like that small lever is not what it used to be :-). Thanks to all who contributed to post - I now have a way more usable storage bin.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Genechen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50

I just removed it and left the old pieces with a small hole where the cradle used to be. Part ordered a couple of months ago, still has not come.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #26
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genechen22
I just removed it and left the old pieces with a small hole where the cradle used to be. Part ordered a couple of months ago, still has not come.
Yea, it took me about a month to get them.
I got 2 coming in, supposedly this week.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #27
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

I finally got the part! Will attempt to put this in sometime this week! Thanks again for info on a great mod!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

This is a great DIY. But I guess I'm one of the small few who uses the cradle...

I'm curious why some of you want to remove it?
      04-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #29
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

I use a case around my iphone and it's really a hassle to have to remove it every time I put it in the car since it won't fit with it in place. Most times I just plug in the lightning USB cable to charge it instead. I'm going to see if the newer full size iPod will fit in the console before actually removing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:32 AM   #30
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Makes sense. I use the Apple leather case, and it comes off quickly. I only really use it when the battery is very low. I don't like having a tangle of cables all over the car.
      04-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #31
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Are you referring to the Enhanced Bluetooth and USB or the Snap In Adaptor which you put the phone into?
The former is £350 pre discount the latter is usually FOC thrown in as part of the deal from the dealer.
Both are well worth in IMO as much safer and easier to use when driving.
Do you know if one looses any other functionality other than the snap-in adapter if you choose not to have the Enhanced Bluetooth with snap-in option? I'm thinking in particular about Bluetooth audio etc. I ask since I had an M-Sport demo car for the day that did not have the snap-in option and my Samsung Galaxy S4 only showed up as having phone capability (not audio streaming) when I paired it over Bluetooth.

I haven't ordered the Enhanced Bluetooth option on my X5 for all of the reasons raised in this thread (space in console, a pain to use when phone has a case etc) though can add this to my order if audio streaming over Bluetooth doesn't work without it.
      04-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #32
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Do you know if one looses any other functionality other than the snap-in adapter if you choose not to have the Enhanced Bluetooth with snap-in option? I'm thinking in particular about Bluetooth audio etc. I ask since I had an M-Sport demo car for the day that did not have the snap-in option and my Samsung Galaxy S4 only showed up as having phone capability (not audio streaming) when I paired it over Bluetooth.

I haven't ordered the Enhanced Bluetooth option on my X5 for all of the reasons raised in this thread (space in console, a pain to use when phone has a case etc) though can add this to my order if audio streaming over Bluetooth doesn't work without it.
Hi saggo. Not sure. It was a no-brainer for me having a snap-in.
I don't get the 'lack of space' thing..plenty of room for my gum and mint imperials and keep my sunny's in the door side pocket
I have loaded my 'tunes' onto the hard drive.
For me I wanted the convenience and safety of being able to easily charge the phone and not have any clutter around the car.

FYI I used to have a 'hard shell' cover for my phone but got a leather cover which the phone easily slides in/out so that's not an issue either; Sena Cases Ultraslim Classic Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black by Sena - amazon ~£18
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2014, 01:45 AM   #33
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

@baunton how are you proposing to get round the fact that there is no snap in for the iPhone 5 yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #34
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1964 View Post
@baunton how are you proposing to get round the fact that there is no snap in for the iPhone 5 yet?
Have one on order as part of the dealer supplied options.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:29 AM   #35
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep

I was told it doesn't exist yet - when are you hoping to get your?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #36
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Don't ask!!!!!

Was supposed to be delivered this week....waiting to hear from dealer exactly when I can expect it.
They pick up my E70 tomorrow so will have a demo provided by the dealer until they sort things out.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #37
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What? I think that's a bit of a misnomer. The iPhone 5/C/S version does exist. I have it in mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #38
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep

I was definitely told by my GSM that he would willingly have given me one free but the snap in adapters for the iPhone5 don't exist yet according to his parts team.

Anyone here in the UK got their hands on one?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #39
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll look up the parts number for the adapter when I get home. Strange still that it doesn't exist out there. You guys usually get parts or options that we don't stateside but now it's vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #40
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I was definitely told by my GSM that he would willingly have given me one free but the snap in adapters for the iPhone5 don't exist yet according to his parts team.

Anyone here in the UK got their hands on one?
It definitely exists. The part number for the Connect version is 84212351308.

Here's a link to the part on the BMW USA web site.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...NAP-IN-ADAPTER

I'm not sure why they'd release it in the US and not in other markets, but perhaps that's the case. It's been available here since December when I bought mine, and probably earlier than that. I bought mine from a BMW dealer selling on eBay. Cost was USD 200-ish. I'm sure you could get one shipped to the UK if you couldn't find one locally.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #41
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
It definitely exists. The part number for the Connect version is 84212351308.

Here's a link to the part on the BMW USA web site.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...NAP-IN-ADAPTER

I'm not sure why they'd release it in the US and not in other markets, but perhaps that's the case. It's been available here since December when I bought mine, and probably earlier than that. I bought mine from a BMW dealer selling on eBay. Cost was USD 200-ish. I'm sure you could get one shipped to the UK if you couldn't find one locally.
It IS available in other countries, my dealer has ordered one!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #42
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Like many, I got rid of my useless cradle as well.

Quote:
I don't get the 'lack of space' thing..plenty of room for my gum and mint imperials and keep my sunny's in the door side pocket
For me, it's not so much the "lack of space." It's the fact that, when I want to grab something from the center storage, I have to open the center storage door, then lift up the unused cradle to get whatever I want/need to get. I don't know which side the center storage area the cradle is located in Europe, but in US, it's on the passenger side of the center storage area. It's more natural/ergonomic for me to open the passenger side center storage door and reach inside. But having the cradle on the passenger side makes it cumbersome to open the center storage door, then lift the cradle out of the way (making sure it doesn't fall back on me while I'm searching for something) when I have to find something. Also, if I open the driver side center storage door, it is awkward for an arm to search under the cradle. If the cradle was placed on the driver side, it would be a bit more ergonomic for an arm to reach over and under the cradle....but this is not the case.

Quote:
I have loaded my 'tunes' onto the hard drive.
I believe I speak for many when I say it is a hassle to update your HDD every time your music library grows/changes. Why do this if you can change your playlist just on the phone and can play that playlist anywhere without updating anything else?

Quote:
For me I wanted the convenience and safety of being able to easily charge the phone and not have any clutter around the car. FYI I used to have a 'hard shell' cover for my phone but got a leather cover which the phone easily slides in/out so that's not an issue either
My lightening cable is neatly looped and secured inside the center storage area. Only about 5 inches of the cable is extending out from the center storage area. As soon as I get in the car, the iphone's plugged in and sits inside the cubby hole diagonally. To me, this sounds more convenient than having to take the phone out of a case, then opening the center storage door, and securing it into the cradle. Also, I use BMW Apps as well. In order to do so, the app has to be launched from the phone. I would find it more convenient to have to phone outside of the cradle than having to access the phone inside the center storage area to launch the app.

After researching the cradle, I found out that the only benefit of using the cradle vs. lightening cable is the passive cellular signal extension to the shark fin antenna. If there were more benefits, such as better app control, additional phone integration, etc., then I would be inclined to keep the cradle and buy the adaptor. However, if the only gain is passive cellular extension to the shark fin antenna, I felt it wasn't worth it. But I suppose to each's own.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I agree with with you Zipforia - I'd rather have space, and I'm organized with my charging equipment as well, which takes literall 2-3 seconds to plug in - if that, lol. In all honesty, such a cradle should be mounted closer to the cup holders where there's easier access. Smokers tray area is a complete waste of space - they should have used that area more efficiently. Also, almost all SUV's have large compartment spaces; majority of users don't use/need a phone cradle, lol. It should have been an extra option. Instead, we are working backwards to free up space...smh.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #44
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I just got 2 of the craddle delete in stock.
PM me if anyone want to grab it.
It is hard to get. Took me at least a month.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0