BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
Cape Dave
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

I have a 2012 RX350 w/45K miles and I think I want an X5

I drove a 2013 X5 with multi contour seats and was blown away. By the seats! It had 44K miles on it and was certified for about 40K. So about 3 years left on factory warranty. Forgot to ask about maintenance.

I have thought about nothing else since. And even managed to talk myself into a new one. I LOVE the tightness and smoothness and quietness of a new car. Plus, I like to break it in.

The thing is, I always want more car than I can really afford. I am such an optimist I always think I will get more $$$.

My local dealer has a "Pure Price" thing where the price they say is discounted and supposedly their FINAL price. I suspect that it is. I can see that for new cars, but used cars???

I see many here talking about 8-10% off. I would like that. That would be on a new build.

I have not had to put anything into my RX. Oil changes and once tires. However, warranty is ending and will need brakes and tires soon.

I wish I lived in SoCal where there are so many dealers

I have not been on these boards since I sold my 2005 X3. I liked it, but ride was getting harsh and had a moonroof incident that lost me about 3K on the sale because it broke bigtime the way they were designed to do

At 63, I have no idea how many years I have left. I am very healthy, but still. This leads me to figure I may as well go for it. Worst case, it gets repo'd and I lease a Corolla for $119 per month

Here is what I have built so far: See PDF. ANy thoughts are welcome.

Although I realize that the X5 may not be quite in the same league as far as reliability as my RX, I also think they are simply an awesome car that will be really fun to drive.

I am going to test drive a new one asap. Thanks, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: pdf dreamcar.pdf (411.5 KB, 207 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
Recdog11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M sport

Hi Dave,
My philosophy exactly... None of us know how long we are going to be here.. And u can't take the money with you

Seriously though, I just grabbed a 16 X5 M sport.. And it's the best auto I have very owned... N I have had tons of rides including my last 14 SRT Jeep. (70$k)
The x5 is just better in every way.. May not have the screaming hp of my srt but the way she puts it down is amazing and can feel the solid Ness of bmw when pushing speeds.... I have the 35i by the way.

I think you will be very pleased
Good luk
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Cape Dave
Rep

Thanks for your support. I am a former New Yorker currently residing on Cape Cod.

I am going to see what I can get for a deal. Will keep all informed
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184183

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but it sounds like you can lease and negotiate the buy out. Also not sure about how the financing would work, if you need it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

You can purchase your X5 from any dealer you want.. keep that in mind.
      10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recdog11 View Post
Hi Dave,
My philosophy exactly... None of us know how long we are going to be here.. And u can't take the money with you

Seriously though, I just grabbed a 16 X5 M sport.. And it's the best auto I have very owned... N I have had tons of rides including my last 14 SRT Jeep. (70$k)
The x5 is just better in every way.. May not have the screaming hp of my srt but the way she puts it down is amazing and can feel the solid Ness of bmw when pushing speeds.... I have the 35i by the way.

I think you will be very pleased
Good luk
Have you driven a F15 with the 50i? Its a flying beast.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Cape Dave
Rep

I have never driven the 5.0. I KNOW I would love it but really cannot swing it. I may as well test drive a Rolls Royce

Luckily, I really like the BMW turbo 6. That is plenty for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Hey Dave

I too came from RX350 to my current X5. Let me tell you even the base 35i will be adequately powerful and much more fun to drive than RX. The problem is I end up babying the X5 much more than taking the car to do what it's meant to do. haha (long road trip, snowboarding trip)

I have abused the crap out of my RX in all its 120k miles without a single problem. I am not sure same could be said for X5. I love the car anyway~!
      10-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
I have never driven the 5.0. I KNOW I would love it but really cannot swing it. I may as well test drive a Rolls Royce

Luckily, I really like the BMW turbo 6. That is plenty for me.
If you're coming from the RX, the power delivery of the 35i is more than enough. It has tons of low-end torque and just a pleasure to drive. You can graduate to bigger engines later, or chip it for more power.

Also, one package you may want is M Sport Line with 20" wheels. That's what sets the X5 apart from other SUVs, wide staggered wheels and sporty look.
      10-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
If you're coming from the RX, the power delivery of the 35i is more than enough. It has tons of low torque and just a pleasure to drive. You can graduate to bigger engines later, or chip it for more power.

Also, one package you may want is M Sport Line with 20" wheels. That's what set the X5 apart from other SUVs, wide staggered wheels and sporty look.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post

Also, one package you may want is M Sport Line with 20" wheels. That's what set the X5 apart from other SUVs, wide staggered wheels and sporty look.
THIS!

I may sound like a broken record but Msport Msport Msport!! Oh and Adaptive M Suspension!
      10-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #12
Cape Dave
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
THIS!

I may sound like a broken record but Msport Msport Msport!! Oh and Adaptive M Suspension!
Hmmm, many say this is good. I always like the smallest wheels because of the softer ride. And looks do not matter that much to me. I think they all look sharp as heck!

The suspension options confuse me at this time. I know some you can only get with certain packages. The $4400 suspension option seems kind of absurd to me. I mean, is the car crap without that?

Seems to me a 60+K car should drive darn nice as it comes.

You know how it is... each time I build the darn thing it comes out a little different
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
Hmmm, many say this is good. I always like the smallest wheels because of the softer ride. And looks do not matter that much to me. I think they all look sharp as heck!

The suspension options confuse me at this time. I know some you can only get with certain packages. The $4400 suspension option seems kind of absurd to me. I mean, is the car crap without that?

Seems to me a 60+K car should drive darn nice as it comes.

You know how it is... each time I build the darn thing it comes out a little different
It sounds like you will not miss the Msport at all. I actuallly got the xline because I liked it over the Msport. None of the the trims will make it drive any any better. I agree the base looks great as is and it now comes with good looking 19's.

I took a look at your build and I think you nailed it for the most part. You might want to do some more research into these to see if you even care for them:

Active Steering $1,550
Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension $1,500

Drive one without and if you like it, then don't get these extras.

Also, do you need cold weather pkg in Florida?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #14
Cape Dave
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
It sounds like you will not miss the Msport at all. I actuallly got the xline because I liked it over the Msport. None of the the trims will make it drive any any better. I agree the base looks great as is and it now comes with good looking 19's.

I took a look at your build and I think you nailed it for the most part. You might want to do some more research into these to see if you even care for them:

Active Steering $1,550
Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension $1,500

Drive one without and if you like it, then don't get these extras.

Also, do you need cold weather pkg in Florida?
Thanks, I will look at those options. I am in MA, not FL, so cold weather stuff is not optional at all I think the build I did tonight includes both those options. Buying a car is no easy matter.

I think I will test drive again this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:15 AM   #15
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

HA! I read Cape Coral.

Ordering a car is a massive overthink. I did that for my last two cars. Once it is delivered I relax. I've learned to not go cheap and get what I want. And also stay away from what I overthink myself into.

So far I haven't ordered a car with an option I wish I had but I've ordered cars with more options than I really have any use for. It's not like I save that cash however, lol. I just use the extra $4-8K on a nicer vacation, gifts for fam, more toys, awesome ball tickets, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

To me its the big wide wheels that sets the X5 apart from all of the other suvs on the road. I loved this about the very first gen X5 and still do today. Something about seeing one drive in front of you with big steam roller looking tires just makes it look so good!

Either way the 35i will be a better car than the RX in every way except for reliability. Not so say that the X5 is a lemon but you really can't get better than any Toyota product in this category.

Keep in mind that you can easily purchase your car from out of state dealers and they can arrange to have the car shipped to you. It might be worth it if the local dealers aren't giving you the discounts you should be getting.

Alan