BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Krieghoff
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

2016 X6 (F16) trailer Hitch Info

Good Day.
After a long an arduous search for information and or ANY type of photos involving what the hitch looks like I came up empty handed.

For anyone looking at installing / purchasing a hitch package this might be helpful. You need to purchase at least three components and a forth depending on the type of connection you use. Either a Ball Type or Receiver Type (class 2 with a 2" opening).
The modular connectors (receiver or ball type) are EXACTLY the same dimension and construction. Both plug into the main hitch assembly in the same fashion, why BMW classifies the receiver as a class 2 and the ball type a class 3 simply boggles my mind.

As a side note, my dealer (Rochester NY) met the price I found on the internet.

1 - Tow Hitch Cross Tube (main component)
Required: Yes
Part: 82712349499
Street Price: 415.00

1 - Wiring Harness (does NOT include the module)
Part: 82712349500
Street Price: 355.00

1 - Electronic Module
Part: 71606872319
Street Price: 124.00

If using a receiver type hitch.

Tow hitch module (Receiver style mount class 2)
Modular design (snaps into the main cross tube assembly)
Tube Size: 2"
Part: 82712349502
Street Price: 217.00

If using a ball type hitch.

Tow hitch module (Ball mount class 3)
Modular design (snaps into the main cross tube assembly)
Part: 82712349501
Street Price: 277.00

Installation
Due to time constraints I could not have the dealer perform the installation. I asked my local dealer (not where I purchased the X6 from) for a total price including all parts and labor, quoted price was $2,200.00. I did not tell them I already had the parts.

I contacted my local auto body shop and asked if they could install the hitch, sure no problem.
Two hours labor = $150.00 including the wire harness and electronic module.
One catch thou, the Electronic Module #71606872319 is a plug and pray part that MUST BE encoded at the dealer. Cost = $95.00

All told (using the receive style)
Parts = $1,111.00
Labor (installation) = $150.00
Dealer (encoding) = $95.00
Complete cost = $1356.00

As a side note, I did contact Execu Hitch but they could not supply a hitch yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Krieghoff; 10-07-2015 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: added images
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
ZorroTheCat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X6 Sapphire Black Metallic

Thanks for this info... I am in a similar situation. About to order an x6 but have been researching trailer hitch for a while. A few questions:

- Do you have an M-Sport package on your x6? How does it change the installation?

- Did you have to cut the bumper at all?

- Did you see this yet?
If yes, what are your thoughts?

- Would you mind taking a few more pics from a little further away and sharing? Would love to see the over all look of the entire back of the car.

Thanks so much for this info!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Krieghoff
United_States
Rep

1 - Mine is a 2015, X6 with the X Line package. I believe the only real exclusion for ANY hitch the M (not M sport).
2 - No cutting of the bumper trim is necessary.
3 - Video looks cute but not practical, not made for towing anything over 1500 lb. would be my guess.
4 - I can send a few more pix, however, what you really can't see is the actual hitch itself. It's really tucked under the bumper skin. The only real visible component is the harness plug .

It really is a modular hitch system, where the receiver is very SHORT and almost makes contact withthe rear bumper skin, but it's not possible unless you wadded the rear somehow.

I did extensive towing this past weekend where I carry a 250 lb. dirt bike and a 75 lb carrier on the hitch. I must say after using the OEM hitch on my 2013 X6 this hitch does not instill the level of confidence (in my mind). Part in parcel in due to the length or lack of, on the receiver itself. It is significantly shorter than previous generation hitches.

I tried to acquire the Exechitch but they do not have one made for the 15 & 16 X6. I had no other alternative other than OEM.

Last edited by Krieghoff; 10-15-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Krieghoff
United_States
Rep

2015 Trailer Hitch Pix

Updated photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
ZorroTheCat
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is VERY helpful... Thank you so very much! Would you mind taking a picture of the rear of the car from a 5-10 feet away so I can see what the overall look of the car is?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Krieghoff
United_States
Rep

More photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
ZorroTheCat
Enlisted Member
Rep

It looks perfect!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info and bump for additional information.
what is the minimum you need if you only need to attach a bike rack to the trailer hitch?
I guess the rear bumper needs to be removed.
anyone have done this as a DIY?
Lastly, this post is back from 2015. are there now non OEM options for the hitch?

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
dcbame
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Does anyone know how the locking mechanism works on the OEM hitch? I have one and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to lock it in the proper position. There is a key and a rotary know but it makes absolutely no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Dewstain
E90 Driver
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbame View Post
Does anyone know how the locking mechanism works on the OEM hitch? I have one and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to lock it in the proper position. There is a key and a rotary know but it makes absolutely no sense.
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...-COMPLETE-KIT#

Just got the same thing and was trying to figure out the same deal.

The key is to push it into the hitch mount correctly, and it will snap into the green at that point. I was trying to put it into the mount and then turn the lock, that's not right.

I'll try to get a video of it at some point, but the above link has a small square video that helped me.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewstain View Post
Quote:

The key is to push it into the hitch mount correctly, and it will snap into the green at that point. I was trying to put it into the mount and then turn the lock, that's not right.

I'll try to get a video of it at some point, but the above link has a small square video that helped me.
I have a Stealth Hitch on mine with the active wire harness ( factory type with BMW OEM control unit) all supplied by Stealth Hitch. Tow a small RV with it. And you cannot see it when the drop is removed! Stealthhitches.com is the website and the price is considerably less than a BMW hitch, better quality and higher towing capacity of 7,000 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWhite View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have a Stealth Hitch on mine with the active wire harness ( factory type with BMW OEM control unit) all supplied by Stealth Hitch. Tow a small RV with it. And you cannot see it when the drop is removed! Stealthhitches.com is the website and the price is considerably less than a BMW hitch, better quality and higher towing capacity of 7,000 lbs.
Umm He's already got the oem rig installed....
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #13
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, I just figured it would be good information for anybody thinking and didn't want to see the factory stuff at the rear apron ask the time. Also the BMW hitch uses cheap pot metal for the latching block that I want going to trust towing an RV. The Stealth Hitch uses a stainless steel block. I took the factory hitch off of my last X5 and had an Invisihitch put on. I went with Stealth Hitch this time because of rusting issues I had in the metal block of the Invisihitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, I just figured it would be good information for anybody thinking and didn't want to see the factory stuff at the rear apron ask the time. Also the BMW hitch uses cheap pot metal for the latching block that I want going to trust towing an RV. The Stealth Hitch uses a stainless steel block. I took the factory hitch off of my last X5 and had an Invisihitch put on. I went with Stealth Hitch this time because of rusting issues I had in the metal block of the Invisihitch.
Oh of course the stealth hitch and invisihitchs are better. They also cost more. There are a dozen or so threads already discussing all that info though.

Just confused as your post had little to do with the guys question. Like if I asked you how long to bake a cake and you told me about your awesome oven....I've already got an oven. I just want to know how long to put a cake in it! Lol. No worries.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
JimK723
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6 50i

Dcbame, thanks for asking the question. I had the same problem, couldn't figure out how to get it to lock.
Dewstain, thanks for the answer. Once I saw the video from your link, I went out to my X6 with the hitch and bam, went right on and locked down. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
ColinRP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35d

2017 X5 - Class II Rear Transport Hitch Receiver Help

Hi, I have the Class II Rear Transport Hitch installed on my 2017 X5. The under attachment was a bit rusted before I put it on and I heard a click when attached...I know how it locks and unlocks using the key but for the life of me, when I unlock it and push the lever in and down all the way to where I see the red section the hitch receiver will not come off...Anybody have some hints on how to easily remove the transport hitch receiver? Thanks!
Appreciate 0