BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Few questions

1. What is the buzzing noise when you unlock the car. You can notice the sounds when standing outside the car for a few seconds.

2. So I bought my car from a dealer via email (not local dealer). Who is going to contact me regarding car service? Is it the car telling me that it needs service? Or do I have to tell me local dealer to add my car to their system so then can contact me when it's time for service?

3. First service is at 10,000 miles correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

1. Fuel pump getting primed for action.
2. Your dash tells you how many miles it is until service. Schedule on your own. No one is going to call you.
3. Yes, although some people will do an interval oil change (self-funded) at 5K.
      02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster
2. Your dash tells you how many miles it is until service. Schedule on your own. No one is going to call you.
3. Yes, although some people will do an interval oil change (self-funded) at 5K.
Thanks for the answer! So to check number of miles left till service its in iDrive setting right?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Everything said here is 100% correct .

Quote:
Originally Posted by possib1edoc View Post
Thanks for the answer! So to check number of miles left till service its in iDrive setting right?
Yes, Haren, that's correct. You can also check it via your cluster menu. All you have to do is turn on AC POWER (one button push) and then hold the cluster button in the left corner. It will show you the next service due in miles as you tap the button to scroll through. Turn off the car and it will go away.
      02-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Just talked about this on another thread.. some dealers (though not mine ) do still notify you when service is coming due. But you would presumably have to get one service there first, or stop in even outside of service maybe, to get in their system and do whatever they need to do to get the car to "talk to them." I'm guessing that may involve as little as them plugging in the fob to their computer and taking some basic contact info from you.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Like this part.

Meanwhile, I'm leasing the car and leaving/selecting my sale/service info via BMW website. Not sure if that service dealer will reach out to me by that info...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Everything said here is 100% correct .
Another question: With the HUD is there any way to save the setting regarding the height? Mine keeps changing to standard height every time I start the car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by possib1edoc View Post
Another question: With the HUD is there any way to save the setting regarding the height? Mine keeps changing to standard height every time I start the car.

Thanks!
It's in the Owner's Manual. You have to save it with your "profile" or your memory seat settings. That's how it remembers it. You can also go to page 159 in the Owner's manual for it to remember it for your keyfob. You go to Settings, HeadUp Display, Height, and rotate your control knob or w/e. Once saved, it should keep that height. Again if it doesn't, you'll have to use the profile settings on page 33.

If it still doesn't work, then maybe someone who has played with it can help chime in .
      02-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's in the Owner's Manual. You have to save it with your "profile" or your memory seat settings. That's how it remembers it. You can also go to page 159 in the Owner's manual for it to remember it for your keyfob. You go to Settings, HeadUp Display, Height, and rotate your control knob or w/e. Once saved, it should keep that height. Again if it doesn't, you'll have to use the profile settings on page 33.

If it still doesn't work, then maybe someone who has played with it can help chime in .
Thanks! I thought I tried those things but will try again and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Doanster
Major
Rep

There is a known issue where the ONLY the HUD height is not retained even though all other settings (seat position, light color scheme, etc.) are properly remembered. There's a TSB/software update for it, but of course, that'll erase all the coding you may have done to date. This seems to happen much more between the two profiles/keyfobs, i.e. when I get in the car in the evening after my wife's been driving it all day, the height is back to the center setting.
Good news is that I can just push the seat memory button for my settings and the HUD will raise up to my preference. So, I probably won't mention this whenever I go in for the first service. Not annoying enough to fix vs having to re-code everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Just talked about this on another thread.. some dealers (though not mine ) do still notify you when service is coming due. But you would presumably have to get one service there first, or stop in even outside of service maybe, to get in their system and do whatever they need to do to get the car to "talk to them." I'm guessing that may involve as little as them plugging in the fob to their computer and taking some basic contact info from you.
Ah, I think you're right. When the sales guy was going over the features of the car, etc. I remember him saying I could book the appt "remotely" and even have the car send the diag data to the dealership ahead of time so that the techs already had heads up into what needs to be fixed or troubleshot. Either way, like the thread about data privacy, I prefer NOT to get reminded [read: NAGGED] by my dealer about service. The dash msgs are plenty, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Just figured out how to keep the codes so they don't get erased. I know Shawn explained that when they update software, it reverts back settings, but it's a good way to test. I just tested and VO Coded ddavtian's HU_NBT folder after I fdl coded everything. This erased all his settings. Then, from the new CODED CAF FOLDER I backed up (the same way I backed up the original CAF folder when I read coding data of his factory CAFD files), I restored the HU_NBT coded files. Simply right click the HU_NBT folder (or any other ECU folder you need to restore), selected NEW, then the long line (must not be greyed out- if greyed out, simply READ ECU again), which gave me access to to any CAFD module location. I selected the backed up CAFD HU_NBT file and simply hit CODE FDL - voila....everything he lost returned coded without me having to individually go in and recode every single thing by editing fdl.

Last edited by opasha; 02-12-2015 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #14
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Just figured out how to keep the codes so they don't get erased. I know Shawn explained that when they update software, it reverts back settings, but it's a good way to test. I just tested and VO Coded ddavtian's HU_NBT folder after I fdl coded everything. This erased all his settings. Then, from the new CODED CAF FOLDER I backed up (the same way I backed up the original CAF folder when I read coding data of his factory CAFD files), I restored the HU_NBT coded files. Simply right click the HU_NBT folder (or any other ECU folder you need to restore), selected NEW, then the long line (must not be greyed out- if greyed out, simply READ ECU again), which gave me access to to any CAFD module location. I selected the backed up CAFD HU_NBT file and simply hit CODE FDL - walaah....everything he lost returned coded without me having to individually go in and recode every single thing by editing fdl.
I can't thank you enough for your help!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #15
Doanster
Major
Rep

Makes perfect sense. Basically just need to backup the files before going in then read them back in once you return from service.
I wasn't sure if the fixes applied by the dealer are guaranteed to be VO-only? That is, would any FDL settings that we don't know about get reset as well when we restore the backups, thereby undoing the fix that was just applied by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. Basically just need to backup the files before going in then read them back in once you return from service.
I wasn't sure if the fixes applied by the dealer are guaranteed to be VO-only? That is, would any FDL settings that we don't know about get reset as well when we restore the backups, thereby undoing the fix that was just applied by the dealer?
That's the thing Shawn was saying. I'm not sure how deep the fix from the dealer goes. That's also why the CAFD file restoration is for the specific ones you coded. This backup/restore is mostly useful for those that get a forced dealer update that did not want one. Shawn stated that dealer will generally update your car without your permission because it is their standard operating procedure.