BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
CERS 1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

RaceChip 50i & the correct install cable....

First, Special thanks to opasha for helping me this weekend get everything sorted out! You're a generous guy with your time and I can't thank you enough.

If you order, or plan to order the RaceChip Ultimate for the 50i its very important that you stress to your supplier that you need the pink cable #8720 not the red one #4720. Do not even bother trying to install with the red cable. It will result in a "drivetrain malfunction" which triggers some sort of limp mode for lack of a technical term immediately after starting your car.

Considering my package came directly from Racechip germany with only one cable, there may be some confusion across the supply chain as to which part will work with our engine.

***Important***
All parties rushed the replacement part and agreed to expedite shipping at no additional cost. The intent of my post is to ensure that any additional orders don't have to wait for the corrected cable. Its torture when you install have problems and then have to wait for a replacement part from germany!
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
CERS 1
Private
Rep

Here is a picture for reference from another thread with a red arrow pointing to the correct cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

CERS 1 , should I say, order from me and you will get the correct cable?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
CERS 1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
CERS 1 , should I say, order from me and you will get the correct cable?
Lol. Sorry about the confusion today.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
Lol. Sorry about the confusion today.
No worries. It happen. Glad you are going to get it sorted out though.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Congrats

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
First, Special thanks to opasha for helping me this weekend get everything sorted out! You're a generous guy with your time and I can't thank you enough.

If you order, or plan to order the RaceChip Ultimate for the 50i its very important that you stress to your supplier that you need the pink cable #8720 not the red one #4720. Do not even bother trying to install with the red cable. It will result in a "drivetrain malfunction" which triggers some sort of limp mode for lack of a technical term immediately after starting your car.

Considering my package came directly from Racechip germany with only one cable, there may be some confusion across the supply chain as to which part will work with our engine.

***Important***
All parties rushed the replacement part and agreed to expedite shipping at no additional cost. The intent of my post is to ensure that any additional orders don't have to wait for the corrected cable. Its torture when you install have problems and then have to wait for a replacement part from germany!
CERS,

Will you post some feedback or share your experience with the RaceChip Ultimate on the 50i?

I would like to know its capabilities. I am comparing it to the BMS tune.

Thanks.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

BMS Tune and RaceChip are very similar except that RaceChip has more settings to play with. The chip comes with stock settings at S1=1 (changing this is pointless on petrol engines and does nothing so do not mess with this) S2=B (the amount of fuel being given - this is the setting you change). At B, it's faster, but you will experience throttle lag and not really feel much potential until you hit C. C is very solid. I am currently at D and so far it's been good, but seems to eat more gas. I think C was the best compromise. D makes every mode very fast with no throttle lag. You experience the car have a mind of its own when you are in Sport because it's like the car is being held back on a leash (that leash being your accelerator). Once you hit the the accelerator, the leash comes off and the car is gone.

Now the biggest problem is this: installation
1) BMS takes 1 minute to put on and 1 minute to take off because it hooks up to the MAF sensors (which are exposed at each side of the engine without having to remove a single thing.

2) RaceChip takes about 20-45 minutes depending on your skill, and it's not an easy install because it connects to the MAP sensors and those are located in front of the intercoolers (very hard to reach area that requires you to remove a few parts).

Take a look at the installation and further info in the tune thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1078371

Last edited by opasha; 03-09-2015 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
BMS Tune and RaceChip are very similar except that RaceChip has more settings to play with. The chip comes with stock settings at S1=1 (changing this is pointless on petrol engines and does nothing so do not mess with this) S2=B (the amount of fuel being given - this is the setting you change). At B, it's faster, but you will experience throttle lag and not really feel much potential until you hit C. C is very solid. I am currently at D and so far it's been good, but seems to eat more gas. I think C was the best compromise. D makes every mode very fast with no throttle lag. You experience the car have a mind of its own when you are in Sport because it's like the car is being held back on a leash (that leash being your accelerator). Once you hit the the accelerator, the leash comes off and the car is gone.

Now the biggest problem is this: installation
1) BMS takes 1 minute to put on and 1 minute to take off because it hooks up to the MAF sensors (which are exposed at each side of the engine without having to remove a single thing.

2) RaceChip takes about 20-45 minutes depending on your skill, and it's not an easy install because it connects to the MAP sensors and those are located in front of the intercoolers (very hard to reach area that requires you to remove a few parts).

Take a look at the installation and further info in the tune thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1078371
Wow! Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the RaceChip from RG Sport Shop, so it looks like I made the best choice. The longer and more tedious install is unfortunate, but it sounds like it is worth the extra effort.

Reading your response made me smile. I will likely keep it on the stock numbers for a while. Are there available HP and Torque numbers on the other settings?

Thanks again for your help and all the help you provide everyone on the forum.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbar1 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the RaceChip from RG Sport Shop, so it looks like I made the best choice. The longer and more tedious install is unfortunate, but it sounds like it is worth the extra effort.

Reading your response made me smile. I will likely keep it on the stock numbers for a while. Are there available HP and Torque numbers on the other settings?

Thanks again for your help and all the help you provide everyone on the forum.

M
My pleasure .

So, for the RC TB Ultimate for the 50i, I did all the math. At stock, you're at 507hp/564tq. Every tick you go up increases by 7hp. So, I'm at 522hp. Torque won't change because that is what S1 controls, which is fuel timing. Try stock, but it won't impress you. Going to C makes a huge difference surprisingly. The reason is mainly due to throttle lag. There is too much similar throttle lag as if you don't have the chip. C almost entirely eliminates it.
      03-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

mattbar1 , thank you for the support.
opasha , great explanation.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
What few parts are required to be removed?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0