07-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #133
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Vince --

Right now, the majority of the cars are under warranty and BMW is bearing the brunt of these repairs. But as we slowly move past 4 years and 50K miles, these cars will be expensive to maintain. I don't know what the parts and labor cost, but it will not be sustainable if you have to come back in every 1000 to 3000 miles.

I had originally thought to keep this car for awhile, but now am planning to replace it before I get to that point.
Luca-

I agree with you. I went into this vehicle purchasing it, with the expectation to keep it for 7 years. In a year of ownership, it has spent a good bit of time in the shop for semi-serious, and just irritating, non-serious items that, if paid for out of pocket, would be quite expensive, even if going to an indy shop.

Over the past several months, my husband and I are slowly making plans to relieve ourself of ownership sometime next year, while the car is still desirable, due to being under factory warranty.

I'm unsure what, at this point I'll purchase as a replacement, but hopefully it'll be something I can actually reliably keep for 7 years, that's still incredibly fun to drive! That's always the goal, but 8 cars in 7 years, tells another story......

Despite massively bad past experiences, three times, with Audi/VW/Porsche, we may take a chance on a Porsche again, as their customer service seems to have improved in the past few years. I may regret it, but I won't know if I don't take the chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #134
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Luca-

I agree with you. I went into this vehicle purchasing it, with the expectation to keep it for 7 years. In a year of ownership, it has spent a good bit of time in the shop for semi-serious, and just irritating, non-serious items that, if paid for out of pocket, would be quite expensive, even if going to an indy shop.

Over the past several months, my husband and I are slowly making plans to relieve ourself of ownership sometime next year, while the car is still desirable, due to being under factory warranty.

I'm unsure what, at this point I'll purchase as a replacement, but hopefully it'll be something I can actually reliably keep for 7 years, that's still incredibly fun to drive! That's always the goal, but 8 cars in 7 years, tells another story......

Despite massively bad past experiences, three times, with Audi/VW/Porsche, we may take a chance on a Porsche again, as their customer service seems to have improved in the past few years. I may regret it, but I won't know if I don't take the chance.
Honestly, there are few german cars I would keep past 5-6 years max. Audi's, MB, BMW none of these brands have given me a "safe" feeling that the car should last the test of time.

Lexus, on the other hand, has been great, the cars are bullet proof. We have a GS350 we plan on keeping for 6+ years. Y don't you get a Lexus?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #135
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

You think this will be corrected for the MY17 production?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #136
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Honestly, there are few german cars I would keep past 5-6 years max. Audi's, MB, BMW none of these brands have given me a "safe" feeling that the car should last the test of time.

Lexus, on the other hand, has been great, the cars are bullet proof. We have a GS350 we plan on keeping for 6+ years. Y don't you get a Lexus?
When I first learned to drive, I was given two new cars, a Land Cruiser, and a BMW 325is. The Land Cruiser was awesome, and was a tank, it never died the entire time I owned it. The BMW had some more issues, but was by far more fun to drive, and was the one I drove more, and owned longer.

Over the years, I've seen the cars that are the most fun to drive are the ones I enjoy the most, and tend to be the ones I own longer. Toyota and its luxury division, Lexus, sure do last a long time, but they are not very much fun to drive.

I've owned BMWs for going on 22 years now, and this F85 is the one that's had the most issues so far. If it were behaving as my previous ones had, I'd not doubt keeping it for 7 years. After the 4 years was up, I'd purchase an extended 2 year warranty, and then take a chance for one year of ownership without warranty.

I'm not looking for 100% problem free, but I'm looking for signs of workmanship and quality put into the vehicle. I've noticed in the past few years something within BMW has changed, and their cars are not on the level they used to be. They are faster, etc., but not as well built and thought out. I'm thinking, as is my husband, it's time to seriously explore another brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #137
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotally Tober View Post
You think this will be corrected for the MY17 production?
I would be surprised if it were. Typically, if BMW finds a fix, they'll put it into the newer models, but also start quietly applying it to existing vehicles that show up in service bays with that issue. As of yet, no one has had a reliable fix applied to their vehicle, indicating BMW is either not heavily working on the issue, or they simply don't know how to fix it.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #138
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
When I first learned to drive, I was given two new cars, a Land Cruiser, and a BMW 325is. The Land Cruiser was awesome, and was a tank, it never died the entire time I owned it. The BMW had some more issues, but was by far more fun to drive, and was the one I drove more, and owned longer.

Over the years, I've seen the cars that are the most fun to drive are the ones I enjoy the most, and tend to be the ones I own longer. Toyota and its luxury division, Lexus, sure do last a long time, but they are not very much fun to drive.

I've owned BMWs for going on 22 years now, and this F85 is the one that's had the most issues so far. If it were behaving as my previous ones had, I'd not doubt keeping it for 7 years. After the 4 years was up, I'd purchase an extended 2 year warranty, and then take a chance for one year of ownership without warranty.

I'm not looking for 100% problem free, but I'm looking for signs of workmanship and quality put into the vehicle. I've noticed in the past few years something within BMW has changed, and their cars are not on the level they used to be. They are faster, etc., but not as well built and thought out. I'm thinking, as is my husband, it's time to seriously explore another brand.
I tried buying a Lexus, but it was too boring. I still haven't gotten my X5M since I ordered a '17, but I hope they've improved some of the issues, or that I get a car without too many of them.

My problem is that I just don't know what else is really out there that's any better. Yeah some Japanese cars may be more reliable, but not fun. I doubt Audis are much better reliability wise, and they don't really have anything that appeals to me either. Mercedes aren't that interesting to me either. A Cayenne Turbo S is way too expensive and still looks a little feminine to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #139
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
I tried buying a Lexus, but it was too boring. I still haven't gotten my X5M since I ordered a '17, but I hope they've improved some of the issues, or that I get a car without too many of them.

My problem is that I just don't know what else is really out there that's any better. Yeah some Japanese cars may be more reliable, but not fun. I doubt Audis are much better reliability wise, and they don't really have anything that appeals to me either. Mercedes aren't that interesting to me either. A Cayenne Turbo S is way too expensive and still looks a little feminine to me.
I agree, that's why I still have the F85 sitting in my garage! What really put me over the edge was a few weeks ago, three of the B&O speakers needed to be replaced, at around $300 each, plus labor, and a week and half of the car sitting in service, due to delay in delivery of parts. The B&O system is now all F'd up, sound seems to be totally centered around the new dash center channel speaker, and little sound elsewhere, so it needs to go back in to service, yet again! It's been a plethora of little things, that will add up to a big expense, if not under warranty, or if paying a $50 deductible under an extended warranty. Don't get me started on the wheel bearing issue, or the brakes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #140
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:

My first BMW was a 99 e36 m3. I had no problems with it, although it was a lease. I had a lot of friends that did have problems with their e36.

i.e. the leather on the door panels would become unglued, someone was stranded when the car stalled on the freeway.

Next one was the E46 M3- mine came with the rod bearing failure recall- notorious for the E46's. connecting rods would fail over time and the entire engine would seize.

'07 E90 335i with the N54 hpfp failues- Mine failed 3 times.

Or my '08 x5 4.8i with nav screeen failure, fyi that model with that engine had multiple issues- all over the forums.

My Audi was not much better- with electrical gremlins the dealership had to take apart the car to re install all the wiring for my lights. etc. back then the dealerships were so bad. I had to wait 45 minutes with an appointment, just to start talking to a SA for my service. loaners? lol.

Or my wife's '10 E350 with tranny issues- it would downshift, hiccup, and the car would then lurch. was getting worse and worse over time.

I could go on, but I have never bought a bmw for reliability-

You must have had better luck than I did over the last 20 years.

Still, NO other car brand has given me the love of driving like a bmw.

Like you said Lexus cars tend to be boring, and when they are made to be reliable, they don't take risks- i.e. our '15 gs350 has the old 3.5 liter engine from last decade, and the slowest manual shifting auto in the world. And the leather- it seems like a weird synthetic blend meant to last a lifetime... just doesn't feel like regular leather- parts of interior have that hard plastic, again, meant to last a lifetime.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 07-05-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #141
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I really hate you guys are having issues. At 4500 miles my steering wheel will not telescope and I have brake squeal if I go longer than a week on a wash. I keep my fingers crossed that the front hub click never starts. Overall I REALLY enjoy the M.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #142
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I love my X5, but it certainly isn't the most reliable vehicle on the market. I've had the rear struts replaced, brakes squeal and it seems I have light clicking in the bearings as well.

I almost wish I had kept my previous MB GL63. It was awesome, if not also a bus.

The X5M still puts a smile on my face when I drive it, though. It's really the most non-SUV of the SUVs on the market. And for those of us who need an SUV for other activities, I couldn't find a better option.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #143
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Yeah I love the truck so I'm hoping it can be resolved. Oyster bay BMW is for shit. The service department is horrible. No customer service what so ever. Today I was due to drop it off for a 2nd go around. I made sure the dept manager and Sa knew not to put me in another 5 series or even worse a 3 series. I was promised a 7 or at least another x5. At 7am the female Sa on duty decided to try to give me a 3 series. Needless to say but of course they knew nothing of my prior promise by management.

The utter clusterfuck was the last straw. Grabbed my keys and left. I almost want to kick my own ass after even considering going back after not fixing problem the first time and damaging my paint on what appeared to be a rushed Friday afternoon detail job with a dirty mitt or even worse a rock infused brush on the last visit.

Off to habberstadt of Huntington on Monday. World of difference already just on the return phone call from the manager. Really hoping they can give me a fix or an answer to what is going on with the noise.

As far as the paint damage....going back to detailersdomain in New Jersey as soon as phils wrist recovers from carpal tunnel syndrome.

My wife is telling me to get all of us together with a lawyer and get BMW na involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #144
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
My wife is telling me to get all of us together with a lawyer and get BMW na involved.
Driving into work and through the parking garage today, I can state for certain that the clicking is back. For those of you who have not experienced this yet, I can only think of three reasons why you have not HEARD it yet: a) you drive with your music blaring at all times; b) you refuse to make any turns; or c) some combination of a) and b). The sound is there. I have to believe that it is endemic to all F85/86s.

Vince -- your wife is right. BMW NA will not take this seriously until it reaches a critical mass with a threat to reputation or the bottom line. There are various things that can get it to that point. Someone filing a class action lawsuit claiming a design defect is one. Especially if the US government gets involved (i.e., NHTSA). After what happened to VW recently, I'm sure the response will be quick.

Will it rise to the level of a recall? I don't think so. While it's annoying, I don't think it is dangerous (although I cannot state for certain). Most likely, it will involve a combination of repairing the pieces when they fail, re-engineering the pieces and replacing or extending the warranty so that any repairing or replacing is covered by BMW. Mercedes recently had a situation like this: its E Classes from 2003-2008 developed cracks in their fuel tanks that made it impossible to fill up the car without gas fumes inside the cabin of the car. After an investigation by NHTSA, Mercedes "agreed" to extend the warranty on the part to 15 years. The extended warranty coverage included all parts and labor.

I intend to call my SA shortly to explain my dissatisfaction and to ask for a genuine solution. Her reaction will be telling -- BMW NA is clearly aware of this. But it's like a game of chess (or poker) and I have to believe they are gauging the collective reaction before responding.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #145
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

I learned recently that one of the best ways to get a large corporation, like Verizon, BMW, Comcast, etc. to pay attention and do something is to start making pretty detailed complaints all over their social media pages. It shows you know how to make a stink in a very open place where millions of people can see it, and it shows you're savvy enough not to need to phone in and deal with one of their idiotic customer service reps to make your issue known to the company. Many times, someone from the company will contact you directly after one or two of these social media complaints. I've not tried it with BMW, but it has worked with other companies.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #146
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Tell me where to start. I have my experience journaled from my first visit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #147
BMWOO7
BMW CCA #505303
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M / 2013 SVT Raptor

Ok...... first off, yes I've read through the thread. I tried listening for something the other morning and couldn't hear anything.

Now with that said, could someone please state the best way to listen for this, I'm sure it would help allot more folks as well.

I'm guessing the obvious, radio off, semi-quiet area, window down?, wheel to the right or left (does it make a difference)?

I've got around 5600 miles on mine now, 95% of which are all highway miles, so I don't know if that makes any difference one way or the other.

Thanks much!
      07-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #148
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Yours may not be clicking. Mine is not at 4500 miles. Who knows how long it will be quiet is a big guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #149
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWOO7 View Post
Ok...... first off, yes I've read through the thread. I tried listening for something the other morning and couldn't hear anything.

Now with that said, could someone please state the best way to listen for this, I'm sure it would help allot more folks as well.

I'm guessing the obvious, radio off, semi-quiet area, window down?, wheel to the right or left (does it make a difference)?

I've got around 5600 miles on mine now, 95% of which are all highway miles, so I don't know if that makes any difference one way or the other.

Thanks much!
Yours may be an excellent example, given the percentage of highway miles. From the experiences posted by myself and others, this issue seems to manifest during turning and at low speeds (< 30 mph). I've noticed that the sound is more pronounced the sharper the turn (as in executing a u-turn or doubling back in a parking garage). A parking garage, with its many sound-reflecting surfaces, is often the ideal place to hear this.

The onset of the clicking is different for everyone. Mine started around 5000; for others, it was earlier. Some, like you, have not experienced it. My fingers are crossed that you do not.

My mileage is split fairly evenly between highway and city driving (60/40). Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #150
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Yours may not be clicking. Mine is not at 4500 miles. Who knows how long it will be quiet is a big guess.
Let's hope you don't hear it.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #151
KT550i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: My Fifth BMW

Hi all,

Here is my first post. Thank you all for helpful info. BMW forum is the best place to spend my time

I heard the clicking noise when I put my car in P and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Have my wife outside and she can hear clicking noise. SA has the work done with BMW Repair kit (P/N #83 19 2 298 825). Technician performed SIB and sanded down surface and greased the wheel bearing hub.

After reading through this thread, this seems like a quick fix for BMW. IMHO, it would definitely haunt us again.

2008 BMW 535xi | 2010 BMW 335i | 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i | 2013 BMW 550i MSport + Dinan S2 | 2015 BMW 328i GT
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #152
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Are there any differences in build spec (around wheels and hub) to the american spec and UK cars ?.

My car as now done 12700 Miles and no issues with the wheel bearing noise.

Could it be temperature related ??

Over here in Manchester Uk outside temp hardly ever gets over "25 degrees C

Nice usual summer day here Today, raining and temperature 18 Degrees C.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #153
critical_mass
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ps

Well, noise is back. Had the fix a couple of weeks ago and within a few days it was back. Shocker. I guess BMWNA has two more tries to repair this before it gets Lemon'ed. This will most likely be my last BMW. I'm pretty disappointed and irritated.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #154
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotichamster View Post
Well, noise is back. Had the fix a couple of weeks ago and within a few days it was back. Shocker. I guess BMWNA has two more tries to repair this before it gets Lemon'ed. This will most likely be my last BMW. I'm pretty disappointed and irritated.
Yea, mine came back a few hundred miles after the first "fix" (which wasn't one, of course). It's not quite as bad, but it's still definitely there, as others described on turns, worse closer to full lock, and very easy to hear with the windows down at very slow speed. I don't know what the hell it is, and neither does BMW apparently. Either that, or they don't care what it is. I've debated going back to the dealer for "fix" #2, but have a feeling that won't do a damn bit of good either. So I'm living with it. It's total BS, and I may end up calling the dealer, but I'm still enjoying the car. I'm sure when one of the wheels falls off I'll be enjoying it a lot less but I'm pretty stumped what to do. Let's keep updates going if anyone actually gets the thing fixed.
Appreciate 0