BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2014 X5 Technology Observations and Brief Review

So, it has been 45 days since I got this lovely SAV. I wanted to share my technology related observations and please feel free to add yours to this list. I think it helps to discover!

iPhone Snap In Adapter:
Got the new iPhone 5 or 5S Snap In Adapter. First, got the wrong one (its called based) and later got the right one (its called Connect) - Both works just fine but the base only does charging and nothing else. The Connect can stream music and integrate with BMW Apps. So, buy Connect version to get best out of it.

iPhone Remote App:
This App is so cool that you can remotely lock/unlock the Car and most importantly can send directions to your car from anywhere. This helps immensely to plan your route and avoid the hassle of joy stick typing.

iPhone Driver's Guide App:
An awesome App with videos and manuals for your 2014 X5. Lots of information on demand. Easy to navigate.

Bookmark Profile: You can bookmark a contact number or a setting to one of those buttons on Dash. This is very useful. I have book marked my important contacts and dialing them is a button away.

BMW Online: BMW Online is FREE for the first few years and its fantastic particularly the weather APP. Configure it to your split screen.

SIRIUS: One year free and activated.

Security Features: Blind Spot and Line Change options are really awesome and works as designed. However, I have no luck with Collision Prevention yet.
(I don't have ACC Stop and Go)

Still have to explore other Connected Drive features.

Others:

Harman Kardon - My best decision. Added later to the order.
Heated Steering- Nice.
Surrond View - Awesome.
Third Row- Good for occasional use.
HUD - Will never buy any car with out HUD. Its my must have..

I think I have made the right decision. I was on bench some time with RRS but the agility this vehicle offers is comparable with other SUVs.
The steering is also smooth and even better in Sport mode.

Performance Center Delivery: I don't have to say anything new. Its a terrific experience. I went with my family and two young children. I have hired a nanny to take care of my children while my wife and I are doing PDC activities. My wife and I have enjoyed the experience. It was really worthy experience. Andy was our instructor and demonstrated the car for almost 90 min.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Very nice! Congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
iPhone Snap In Adapter:
Got the new iPhone 5 or 5S Snap In Adapter. First, got the wrong one (its called based) and later got the right one (its called Connect) - Both works just fine but the base only does charging and nothing else. The Connect can stream music and integrate with BMW Apps. So, buy Connect version to get best out of it.
I don't have the Adapter and use just a USB cable, so when I use the BMW App, I initiate the feature on the iDrive, then wait until it tells me to start the app on my phone, then I loade the app on my phone and can use the BMW Apps (Pandora, Stitcher, etc.) on iDrive. Is the process different with the Adapter?

Quote:
iPhone Remote App:
This App is so cool that you can remotely lock/unlock the Car and most importantly can send directions to your car from anywhere. This helps immensely to plan your route and avoid the hassle of joy stick typing.
I believe you can also send addresses or directions using Google Maps (Classic view). Not sure if the new view supports it yet. I haven't figured out how to send the address or directions yet. I'm trying to figure out if you have to register for ConnectedDrive or something. I'll get on this when I have time.

Quote:
Bookmark Profile: You can bookmark a contact number or a setting to one of those buttons on Dash. This is very useful. I have book marked my important contacts and dialing them is a button away.

BMW Online: BMW Online is FREE for the first few years and its fantastic particularly the weather APP. Configure it to your split screen.
Agree. I have multiple Split Screens programed (Arrow View, Widget, etc.) on the buttons.

I do have to admit, the writing pad isn't perfect. It can't recognize my E and F. Also, how do you perform "space" on the writing pad?

Also, I tried using Yelp, and found the restaurant I was looking for...but didn't have the phone number, which made it useless in that situation.

Quote:
SIRIUS: One year free and activated.
I was surprised it wasn't the standard 3 months. I have yet to activate it yet. Hope it doesn't have an expiration date.

Quote:
Security Features: Blind Spot and Line Change options are really awesome and works as designed. However, I have no luck with Collision Prevention yet.
(I don't have ACC Stop and Go)
Tailgate someone. Collision Prevention will come on. It'll flash an orange car symbol on the HUD. I haven't experience the Pedestrian Warning....and hope I never have to use it.

Congrats! She looks amazing!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

BMW online is free? I was given that option when built my car but there was a cost for that if I remember correct.
Appreciate 0