BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Looking for Opinions on "No Line" Steering Wheel

First time poster - thanks in advance for your opinions. I find sites like this incredibly helpful as I research how best to spend my hard earned $$ :-)

I have just placed an order for an X5 35d and would like opinions on the steering wheels. None of the visual changes of the Luxury Line, X Line, or M Sport do much for me and I would prefer to spend money on the tech and comfort upgrades, but I noticed that choosing one of the "Lines" is the only way to get the sports steering wheel. None of the vehicles at the local dealer are "No Line" so I don't know what the non sports steering wheel is like. For those of you who either have the standard steering wheel, or at least have an opinion on it, I'd be grateful for any feedback you may have. Is the standard steering wheel OK, or will I regret not having the sports wheel.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. Here is what I ordered (so far)
x5 35d
Imperial Blue Metallic
Canberra Beige Dakota leather
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance
Driver Assistance Plus
Luxury Seating
Premium Package
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Any BMW "Standard" Steering Wheel is wayyyyy too thin in my opinion. I love the M-Sport wheel its nice and thick ... feels much better in your hands.

Also the design of the non-M-Sport wheel is dated looking in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
rganguly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I had a standard steering wheel in my 2nd Gen (e70) .. X5.... to be very honest I didn't like it. With the new X5 (Luxury line) .. I love the steering wheel, much thicker and softer leather. Yes as pillpusher said the standard is way too thin. $1700 is worth the 19inch wheel, better Steering Wheel. The premium package didn't do much for me so never got it as key-less start is standard now in anyways, so spend the money on a line (x, luxury or m). Another way to check in person will to find a pre-2014 BMW X5 Standard (Non-Premium) Model, it will have the standard Steering. A lot of dealers still have them on their lots.

Last edited by rganguly; 01-11-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
First time poster - thanks in advance for your opinions. I find sites like this incredibly helpful as I research how best to spend my hard earned $$ :-)

I have just placed an order for an X5 35d and would like opinions on the steering wheels. None of the visual changes of the Luxury Line, X Line, or M Sport do much for me and I would prefer to spend money on the tech and comfort upgrades, but I noticed that choosing one of the "Lines" is the only way to get the sports steering wheel. None of the vehicles at the local dealer are "No Line" so I don't know what the non sports steering wheel is like. For those of you who either have the standard steering wheel, or at least have an opinion on it, I'd be grateful for any feedback you may have. Is the standard steering wheel OK, or will I regret not having the sports wheel.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. Here is what I ordered (so far)
x5 35d
Imperial Blue Metallic
Canberra Beige Dakota leather
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance
Driver Assistance Plus
Luxury Seating
Premium Package
I did exactly what you did and went lineless with more tech that I absolutely love. IMHO; I don't mind the steering wheel at all --- its not fat but I would not call it skinny by a long shot. It feels just right. I had initially wanted the X-line/lux line wheel; but it would be ~ 1G + labor; not worth it IMHO. the best part though is that I got very little chrome on the car and it looks very good without all the fluff. the lux line just looks tacky IMO
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Had the No Line steering wheel on my 2011 X3 and have the Luxury Line on my current 2013 328i. both were fine...the Lined steering wheel only gives you an additional grip on the sides making it more like a sports car...I agree that the one on my X3 was a bit slimmer, but that doesn't cause any disadvantage and you are perfectly fine with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who replied. I appreciate your feedback and the fact that you took the time to give me feedback.
Now just have to figure out when my truck will be built
Appreciate 0