01-25-2024, 03:41 PM   #1211
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbrad1 View Post
2016 X5 x-drive 35i with the standard HID lights. Just before I rolled it over 100k miles, I noticed a lot of oncoming drivers flashing their high-beams at me. I had turned off the high-beams, verified by the fog lights coming back on. Unfortunately, whatever the mechanism is that adjusts the single HID bulb between low and high-beams (just give us the separate high-beam bulbs in the otherwise vacant inboard locations) is sticking on the driver's side. The passenger side "rotates down" (or whatever the actual function is, a filter?) but the driver's side stays in the high-beam position. But because it thinks that it's gone back to low-beams, the fog lights do come back on. Unfortunately, the driver's side lights (closest to oncoming traffic, natch) stay in the high-beam position. I can get out of the car with the headlights on, hit the top of the light housing with my fist, and it will rotate into the low-beam position. I don't know what the mechanism is that makes the shift between low and high, but presumably it is some sort of actual mechanical function that is sticking. I went to my dealer in the hopes that they would be able to find the right hinge or whatever to lubricate and I'd be on my way, only down a few hundred bucks. Nope. They said that it's broken, can't be fixed, and a new housing will only set me back $3200 or something ridiculous like that.

There has to be something mechanical that actuates the shift between low and high beams, because I can look at the light beam projected on my garage door when I hit the light housing, and I watch the beam literally angle down into the low-beam position. I don't know if there's some visor or something that normally sits over the top quarter of the projection that rotates up when high-beams are activated, or if the actual socket/housing that the bulbs are situated in itself rotates up or down based on whether high-beams are turned on or off. It seems weird enough that it's probably a common problem. Any thoughts out there?
HID lights are cheaper, you can probably just get new headlight off Ebay for $300-500 and just replace it, it sounds like the the shutter is stuck on one side.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:44 AM   #1212
MamiMoxi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Bluetooth Apple CarPlay/Android Auto conundrum- I cannot keep my keys hanging anywhere close to the garage without my X5 stealing my phone calls if I walk past them with my phone in my pocket. Sometimes I’d also like to be able to put my bags in the car before I’m leaving and still remain on my handset until I get in the car. Is there a setting I can toggle to only activate Bluetooth once the car is started and to turn it off when the car is turned off?
The flip side is also less than ideal, with transferring calls back to the handset once turning the vechile off. There should be a button that pops up automatically to toggle back to the handset. Sometimes you want to still sit in the car and finish a call so I get it staying on after you cut the engine but there’s no intuitive way to transfer the call back and forth- or is there and I’ve just missed it?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:04 PM   #1213
jakeferryf87
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 f15

Not sure if anyone on here can help, I purchased an ex police bmw f15 2017, no heated seats, I have installed heated seats and the climate controller in dash, the heated seats won’t work, the passenger seats has full function, however the driver seat with memory has only function when ignition is on but not started once vehicle is started the seat function stops.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:50 AM   #1214
halson
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M50d

I own a 2015 BMW X5 F15 with NBT Id4 Head unit.
Lately I find on the internet (eBay) Retrofits of OEM NBT EVO ID6 Navi Systems and Screens (touch screen) for sale at quite good prices. In case of buying such a package is the overall upgrade possible / easy and also how can the coding be done for the specific car, is there someone who could safely do it remotely?
Thank in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:12 PM   #1215
ahab_01
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

VCM Fault codes with ICM -Help!

2016 BMW x5 35d with rear air suspension, has the following faults come up with Protools. I recently replaced the right rear ride height sensor as there was a previous fault with low voltage, now just these are showing up. No other faults related to the ICM. any ideas what this might be?

VDC [VDC_25] | E69A41: Signal (vehicle ride height, 0x0E4) invalid, transmitter ICM
VDC [VDC_25] | 4828B1: Vehicle status management - active network fault lock - substitute entry
VDC [VDC_25] | E6AC64: Signal (vehicle ride height, 0x0E4) invalid, transmitter ICM

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 11:24 AM   #1216
BoyGeezyX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i

2018 X5 50i 65-78mph vibration

Need assistance with a vibration issue I am having on my vehicle. I've changed transfer case and driveshafts and rear diff. Also swapped wheels/tires and still no change, vibration at the same point. strange my mechanic test drove the vehicle without the exhaust and the vibration is much lighter but still present. once we got to 80 things really started to smooth out.

Caveat I have BC racing coilovers, lowered approx 1.25", so not extreme. Also has magnaflow exhaust, was installed when I purchased the vehicle.

I think i may try a new front shaft from dentprotony but still testing a few things first.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:58 AM   #1217
freddymac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5; 2019 X4

Oil plug on My 2018 X5

I took my car to the dealership for an oil change and was informed that the oil pan plug was stripped. I immediately mentioned that they are the only ones who have serviced my vehicle, and it appears that the technician made an error. The service advisor informed me that BMW cars have an aluminum oil pan, and this problem is quite common and is considered a technical defect with BMW. Has anyone else faced this issue? The cost to replace the pan is almost $5,000.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:56 PM   #1218
e90Jeet
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i m-sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotflare View Post
Mine is doing this too. Ever find the problem?
What's the RPM range when it fluctuate? At cold start, mine goes up to ~1400 RPM and stay there for about ~10 seconds and drops down to ~700 RPM. However there's no vibrations when RPM drops down. I wonder if this is normal or soon i will be having similar problems? FYI Dealer recently changed all spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 01:24 PM   #1219
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymac View Post
I took my car to the dealership for an oil change and was informed that the oil pan plug was stripped. I immediately mentioned that they are the only ones who have serviced my vehicle, and it appears that the technician made an error. The service advisor informed me that BMW cars have an aluminum oil pan, and this problem is quite common and is considered a technical defect with BMW. Has anyone else faced this issue? The cost to replace the pan is almost $5,000.
If dealership broke it-they fix it. Also indy shop can probably replace it for 1\2 of the price or less.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:04 AM   #1220
paul3757
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2017

Anyone who can help me with how to solve the component protection?
I'm looking at this code: B7F87A HU-H: Theft-proofing mode active
I've found information about the FSC 170 patch but it seems that I also need "matching codes" from BMW? How do I get those?

Thx for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #1221
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

More of the steering column blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM1949 View Post
My 2016 X5's steering wheel stopped telescoping in and out. Doesn't retract when car is shut off and column switch just clicks when pushed or pulled up. The tilt works fine. I've heard that some people have found metal bits from the gears inside the column. Also have read that the motor can seize up and a couple of guys got it working by just banging hard on the wheel several times. The dealer wants to replace the steering column for $4,000! The position is fine for me where it froze. I'd just like to find a better way to get it working again for less than 4K! Anyone have any comments?
That’s what mine, and most of all the others, did when it failed. Warranty took care of mine, replaced with new not re-manufactured. Either you dig in and repair it yourself or find an Indy that will save you some $$$. Be glad it’s stopped in a position you can live with.
Good luck.
      03-16-2024, 08:21 PM   #1222
smdjshack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15)

Exclamation Rear suspension sagging

So, regularly, over the past 3 months, the rear suspension has been sagging. Air bags and lines have been checked for leaks, none. Replaced the desiccant in the pump, replaced the pressure relief solenoid (it was defective and stuck open). The sagging doesn't occur over night, sometimes it's when we come to a stop and the engine shuts off (eco). I've seen it go down on my Ring camera over a 5 minute period, first one side then the other. Once deflated, it either needs to sit for a while and reset or it will reset with removal of the fuse and sometimes the relay. The suspension can go for days, sometimes a week, without deflating. Are there any additional modules I should check? The rear position sensor arms are intact and the self leveling between the rear sensors and headlight sensors does work when the pump has to inflate the suspension. I'm concerned that either my battery is going down, some internal software issue is telling it to deflate or there's another module I'm missing in my troubleshooting. It's a 2018 X5 35i M Sport w/ 3rd row seats, 83,000 mile.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:10 PM   #1223
dr_greenthumb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14' F15 X5 35i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymac View Post
My oil plug stripped too when removed, it took the threads with it. Just go to Napa and bring your old pan bolt and buy a helicoil or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:26 PM   #1224
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Hi all
A few days ago when leaving and turning all the way to the righ a loud cracking noise happened.
Since then when I turn the car all the way left this time, the car vibrate as if something is loose.
Found a few thread but could not guess.
Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:22 PM   #1225
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
Hi all
A few days ago when leaving and turning all the way to the righ a loud cracking noise happened.
Since then when I turn the car all the way left this time, the car vibrate as if something is loose.
Found a few thread but could not guess.
Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Take to mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:29 AM   #1226
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List