BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

windshield washer nozzles, spraying too low??

I have noticed that when I use the washer/sprayer, it doesn't even hit half way up the windshield, more like maybe 1/3 of the way up?
Is this normal?

To me it seems way too low, and it takes a 2-3 wipes before the upper part of the windshield gets wet, and actually gets clean. (which likely also wears down the blades faster)

I was told the nozzles are not adjustable, and this is normal??
Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Thnx,

Last edited by 1norseman; 03-12-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Haven't run in to this on my X5 and I highly doubt the nozzles are adjustable. Does it seem like you're getting a strong stream coming from the nozzles?

It's possible you have wax or other buildup blocking the stream. I would also check that you have enough fluid in the reservoir and there are no kinks in the lines.

I did have this issue with my previous vehicle and it was due to the washer nozzles starting to crack, but this was on a 5yr old vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Mine is kind of opposite,the one on the passenger side is shooting too high,almost to the roof but not to the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

The nozzles are adjustable. I cannot remember but it is either T20 or T25 to adjust it. Pop the hood open and you will be able to see it on its side. You can easily strip this so be careful and use a high quality Torx driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
The nozzles are adjustable. I cannot remember but it is either T20 or T25 to adjust it. Pop the hood open and you will be able to see it on its side. You can easily strip this so be careful and use a high quality Torx driver.
Awesome!
Thank you very much for the reply..
I know what you mean with not using cheap drivers, which might be undersized etc..
I'm currently using a set of German made felo that has yet to fail me...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

let me know if this worked, I have the same issue. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Ya, once again this winter my right upper passenger side quadrant once sprayed by road mud and salt while driving just streaks. Really annoying. From what I read they say the OEM blade is probably as good as any.

I just had it into the BMW dealer for them to clean the pads from brake dust and squealing and I'm talking LOUD whenever I would drive out of my office garage or backing out of my driveway. Started a month ago. Not the overnight or after car was sitting a day or so and its wet out noise from rust on the rotors squeal like until you hit the brake. Sounded like an old 18 wheeler was pulling up behind me at a light!

So the tech took all 4 wheels apart and performed the service on my receipt shown (in case others have the same issue). 99% better now.

But I asked him to tweak the right wiper arm which he did for me last year and it was 80% better. He's a good tech and I use the same one every time. Yet he told me the sprayers "were not adjustable" so I too would be interested if that torx screw helped adjust them higher.

They have always sprayed too low for me. And if at highway speeds its even worse as the wind pushes the spray even lower.

Also, these are the worst blades I have ever owned on a car. I asked the dealer if they have winter blades for the X5 and they said they only have the OEM ones. These blades for the northeast weather "suck". The joints freeze up and I have to flex them by hand. I have crack each joint sprayer or not, the blade won't touch the window for its entire length whenever its really cold out. Come on BMW you can do better then this.

It's these little quirks that are are so irritating to me for a luxury car (and I love the power, the way it drives and handles) It's quirks will force me to think twice when I look to buy a 2019 GO5 model change a year old in 2020.
Attached Images

Last edited by expidia; 01-27-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50
      02-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

I have not had time to try to adjust them yet, just got back from another trip. But I plan to look at it this weekend.

After my initial post about this, I have kept an eye on the sprayers, while using them.
Issue was really annoying during a last minute decision road trip to Minneapolis a few weeks ago.
What I noticed is that when parked, they spray a lot higher, compared to when driving. So if it is possible to adjust them, they might spray too high when driving slow?!?!

I'm wondering if this is more of a design fault by BMW, than anything else. Maybe the sprayer pump is undersized and can't provide enough pressure when at freeway speeds??

Hopefully I will get to test it this weekend...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Quote:
Washer jets

The washer jets cannot be adjusted. The washer jets cover the entire window glass (fan-shaped jet). Customers and workshops cannot and may not adjust the jet pattern.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...em2/1VnXa60jJ6
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #10
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
well...
I finally made time to look at it..

originalgoods13 is correct:

I believe a T30 is what I used, shallow socket in plastic, and easy to damage as originalgoods13 mentions.

There is a very very limited adjustment, I'm guessing around 4-6°.

If adjusted too high, it will slightly hit the edge of the hood.
I was able to move mine up about 1-2°, or down about 3-4° from where is was set.
I left it up all the way, and it seems to be hitting a bit higher at freeway speeds, but most of it still hits under the center at speed.
While parked, it sprays quite a bit on the roof.

So this does not make a big difference, and maybe that's why BMW says non adjustable?

Looking at the hose used to supply the 3 sprayer heads, I'm thinking BMW undersized either the hoses or the pump. Maybe they added a third sprayer, without increasing the diameter of the hose? Whatever they did, IMO they could have done a better job...

Would be interesting to see how the new X5 sprayers work!

Anyway, I will have to wait for some crappy weather, for further testing...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #11
switchman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
I had similar problem, caused by clogged up washer pump filter from using Rain-x washer fluid. I was fortunate SA is a friend of mine and repair was covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman View Post
I had similar problem, caused by clogged up washer pump filter from using Rain-x washer fluid. I was fortunate SA is a friend of mine and repair was covered.
How did Rain-X get the filter clogged?
Now I need to find the filter and check that too..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
switchman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
How did Rain-X get the filter clogged?
Now I need to find the filter and check that too..
Sorry for late reply; I'm told the silicone content coagulates and forms like gel. The filter on top of pump gets clogged with it. It happened to both my X5 and F30 so i think the newer parts have finer holes in them than the old ones. I've used RainX in my e39 and e53 and have never had problems until now.

I also read lawsuits against RainX manufacturer in Illinois, and those were affecting different cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #14
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman View Post
Sorry for late reply; I'm told the silicone content coagulates and forms like gel. The filter on top of pump gets clogged with it. It happened to both my X5 and F30 so i think the newer parts have finer holes in them than the old ones. I've used RainX in my e39 and e53 and have never had problems until now.

I also read lawsuits against RainX manufacturer in Illinois, and those were affecting different cars.
Thank you for the reply, appreciate the info!
I have used RainX in previous BMWs without any issues, and didn't know about this.
Once it gets warmer, I will take a look at the filter.
Appreciate 0