BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #23
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 Sport Carbon Black

Did this work? I have tried with mine and not sure it is the remote or the process.

See post
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post22669686
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #24
calucb05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M-Sport

Garage List
G01 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Hey All - dealership just sent me a new fob. Went to try it out, and it wasn't programmed. Came here and saw this post, followed the directions, key was programmed in 5 seconds. I have comfort access. Easy to program, almost a joke.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #25
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Dealer is your first and only source for the fob.
I learned this the very hard way and after spending countless hours trying to discover an alternative. It doesn't exist.
Only brand new/blank fobs can be programmed to your car's VIN. Programming can be done not by the dealer but by the regional BMW parts center, including the cutting of the new blade (which is sold separately). Despite what people may say, once a FOB is programmed to a VIN it cannot be formatted and reprogrammed to a different VIN. That FOB dies with that VIN in it. You can only work with new/blank FOBs.
Not sure about the 2-hours either. When the parts center ships the FOB to the dealer, they don't even open the package. It's already programmed and ready to go.
Your least painful option is to ask the dealer to match Tischer's online price (Tischer won't ship FOBs since someone has to check your identity in person and make you sign some forms).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #26
mikeson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by calucb05 View Post
Hey All - dealership just sent me a new fob. Went to try it out, and it wasn't programmed. Came here and saw this post, followed the directions, key was programmed in 5 seconds. I have comfort access. Easy to program, almost a joke.
How much did you pay for a new key? if you don't mind to ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #27
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calucb05 View Post
Do you have any steps or a specific link to teach how to get it programmed?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
Servord
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 28D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 35D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keny156 View Post
i just went thru this as the 2015 X5 i bought only came with one key. Non bmw dealer bought the key at bmw of dallas for $500. guy said over the phone that programming would be another $200. i went to pick up the key and the parts guy said you can program it yourself. It is super easy, make sure your original key is away and that your car is unlocked. Then put the new key next to the key icon on the steering wheel column on the right hand side. Then start the car. Its just that easy and i would not pay $200, for less than 5 min of doing literally nothing. Hope this helps

one thing this only works with new keys .
Quote:
i just went thru this as the 2015 X5 i bought only came with one key. Non bmw dealer bought the key at bmw of dallas for $500. guy said over the phone that programming would be another $200. i went to pick up the key and the parts guy said you can program it yourself. It is super easy, make sure your original key is away and that your car is unlocked. Then put the new key next to the key icon on the steering wheel column on the right hand side. Then start the car. Its just that easy and i would not pay $200, for less than 5 min of doing literally nothing. Hope this helps

Thank you SOOOOO night for this top tip. It worked like a charm. I recently purchased a 2015 X5d and it only had one fob (they ordered a second and delivered it unprogrammed). The purchasing process was terrible compared to other BMW experiences I've had. Happy I don't have to go back there for anything after finding this post.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #29
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servord View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you SOOOOO night for this top tip. It worked like a charm. I recently purchased a 2015 X5d and it only had one fob (they ordered a second and delivered it unprogrammed). The purchasing process was terrible compared to other BMW experiences I've had. Happy I don't have to go back there for anything after finding this post.
May I ask where did you ordered your new key from?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #30
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

I Just bought a 2015 X5d Sport. It only had one key so dealer ordered a second one for us. It was mailed toour house. I was able to set it up by holding it to key on the door column. We do have comfort access and it worked without any special key programming.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #31
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
May I ask where did you ordered your new key from?
I got a key from Rallye for $300 plus tax...
      09-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #32
smove
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0

Garage List
Quote:

Not if you have Comfort Access ... the key fob will let you open the door with the remote "button" and Start the car, but not access the car with the key in your pocket. You need to sync the new key fob with the car (programming). Another con for BMW. As if the VERY expensive key tag is not enough... They charge you above $500 for the key fob, then another $180 for the programming.. For goodness sake give us a break, I bought my son an HP Touch Screen Lab Top for much less than what a fricken BMW key costs
Appreciate 0