10-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Oh and this is in no way a criticism to Dinan. Just wanted to put that out there.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
So it's really only 55hp and 49tq improvement from stock? I have always thought the figures Dinan posts are a bit misleading. When I hear 702 hp it makes me feel they were able to get 135 more horses from stock. Am I missing something? Or does that pretty much explain what's happening?
Your observation is correct. BMW underrated the X5M/X6M power by 100HP (doing what Audi has done for years). On paper, it says 567HP and actual is 647HP to the crank. I'm starting to think BMW power rating on paper means WHP nowadays. The 2015+ M3/M4 also says 430HP, but that measured 430HP to the wheels.

Dinan's tune is going to be the most conservative and safest. 55HP may not sound much, but what other car mod under $3k can give you 55HP?

No plans of JB4 releasing to our cars. RaceChip seems legit, but with lack of BMW users so not many are willing to be a guinea pig in a six figure car. I'm pretty sure RaceChip doesn't monitor as many channels compared to Dinan/JB4. What I know is the harder it is to install a piggy (like JB4 and Dinan), the better (more channels being monitored).
      10-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
Dr.Jeff
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘23 AW M8 Comp Gran Coup

That's awesome about the X5/6M...However, I have a '14 M5 CP with the stage 1 Dinan software and my car has been in the dealership more than I have driven it due to "Engine Malfunction" problem... Not very happy so far....I hope they can fix it...
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #26
whitecord
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 500whp 318ti

How do you guys get your crank hp numbers? Are you running the engines on a engine dyno? I would like to see real world wheel hp numbers advertised
      10-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #27
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

God damnnn beast mode
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #28
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
How do you guys get your crank hp numbers? Are you running the engines on a engine dyno? I would like to see real world wheel hp numbers advertised
Posted before but figured this was a good a time to repost this as any.

We do use a Dynapack chassis dyno and a DTS engine dyno for all of our testing. Like most OE's, we publish our crank numbers, not wheel horsepower numbers, simply to keep things as accurate as possible. Dinan tests multiple cars with multiple runs and averages them so no one chassis dyno test would be representative. When we compare our engine Dyno Data to our chassis dyno data we find that most if not all chassis dynos, including ours, overstates the lower RPM torque values. Our chassis dyno does not do a coast down for inertia and friction corrections. If we are using the chassis dyno once we have performed multiple Chassis dyno runs and averaged them we apply different correction factors to each RPM to correct for these inflated torque numbers. All this is done to ensure the most accurate reporting to our customers. We list both Stock and Dinan numbers using the same corrections to ensure the comparison is fair. If we are using the Engine Dyno the data is just averaged over multiple runs to get a fair average performance. With both the engine dyno and chassis dyno we ensure the room is as close to standard weather conditions as possible and all dyno runs are performed in the same weather window to ensure comparisons are fair. In most cases Dinan Dyno numbers will be lower than those you will get at low RPM because of the inaccuracy at low RPM previously mentioned. Also in most cases Dinan's numbers will be higher at hi RPM because of the work we do to ensure proper heat exchanging that we find almost no one else does.

A few years ago, we put together a really in-depth article on our dyno process and how even slight variables can affect the outcome of any test.
http://dinancars.com/dinan-university/ - (Dynamometer Testing and The Modern BMW Engine)

It's a long article, but it gives you a really detailed looks at the process with a conclusion that has a good breakdown of what we covered. The most accurate thing we can say is that we've observed over 36 years of tuning, with most models we've tested, that the drivetrain loss is between 6.5 and 15 percent. It’s not as simple as a percentage, as it varies on car, transmission, RPM, vehicle speed and a myriad of other variables.

On this particular car if you are looking for rough wheel numbers you can apply a 12.5% peak drivetrain loss and you will come to what you deem as "real world" numbers.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #29
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Your observation is correct. BMW underrated the X5M/X6M power by 100HP (doing what Audi has done for years). On paper, it says 567HP and actual is 647HP to the crank. I'm starting to think BMW power rating on paper means WHP nowadays. The 2015+ M3/M4 also says 430HP, but that measured 430HP to the wheels.

Dinan's tune is going to be the most conservative and safest. 55HP may not sound much, but what other car mod under $3k can give you 55HP?

No plans of JB4 releasing to our cars. RaceChip seems legit, but with lack of BMW users so not many are willing to be a guinea pig in a six figure car. I'm pretty sure RaceChip doesn't monitor as many channels compared to Dinan/JB4. What I know is the harder it is to install a piggy (like JB4 and Dinan), the better (more channels being monitored).
Yes, it appears as though BMW rates cars at the wheels now, or very close to what people will get on a dyno, which is the way it should be IMO. Repeatable numbers in the real world instead of numbers kinda made up by the manufacturer, that no one can actually test easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

I hope this "go as high with HP as you can" phase goes away and folks try building a perfectly balanced car. Just bc you can have 700hp in a damn suv doesn't mean you should.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #31
GOS7
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F82, E28 535is

Impressive results! Gotta love Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #32
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

I have the Dinan software on my e92 M3 and love it. I specifically love the fact that motor longevity and reliability aren't compromised; I am assuming that this mantra carriers over to the F chassis as well, yes?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #33
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I hope this "go as high with HP as you can" phase goes away and folks try building a perfectly balanced car. Just bc you can have 700hp in a damn suv doesn't mean you should.
HuH?
Attached Images

10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #34
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1171819

This will be a great comparison to a stock 12.3 at 111mph M
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #35
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post

Like many posters I was blown away to see the big HP put out by Dinan but less impressed when I saw the delta between BMW's actual tested numbers and Dinan. The boost isn't quite as large as it would be if it went simply by BMW's own numbers vs the tested results. BMW obviously either testing at the wheels or sandbagging.

I know the M5's that were tested were always over 600HP on HP and torque and if you drive one you feel it.

So I guess with the Dinan you pickup just a bit under 10% more HP. If you want to eke out every bit I guess for 3k it isn't terrible especially after spending over 100k on the X5m or X6M, right?

I own a '12 X5M and test drove the new one hoping it would be a different experience in terms of suspension, power, feel, etc. Actually I was hoping it wasn't too different so I didn't want to trade mine in and have to spend up another 50k for the new one. Well it was a huge improvement in every aspect over my '12 X5M. The power, handling, suspension ride, tech, seats and just about everything was a sizeable leap. My takeaway from the test drive was not "this thing needs more power" but then again you can never have too much....
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #36
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

As Lord Vader said to Luke Skywalker during their first duel:

" Impressive, most impressive."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #37
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Wait, why not?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #38
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

10-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Yes, it appears as though BMW rates cars at the wheels now, or very close to what people will get on a dyno, which is the way it should be IMO. Repeatable numbers in the real world instead of numbers kinda made up by the manufacturer, that no one can actually test easily.
The M cars are significantly underrated in our testing to the tune of about 10-15%. All the other cars are pretty close in line to their rated power however. Although the torque tends to be understated on all the cars to varying degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
I have the Dinan software on my e92 M3 and love it. I specifically love the fact that motor longevity and reliability aren't compromised; I am assuming that this mantra carriers over to the F chassis as well, yes?
That is, and will always be the Dinan Mantra. "Performance without sacrifice" has been one of our tagline since the beginning for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
I own a '12 X5M and test drove the new one hoping it would be a different experience in terms of suspension, power, feel, etc. Actually I was hoping it wasn't too different so I didn't want to trade mine in and have to spend up another 50k for the new one. Well it was a huge improvement in every aspect over my '12 X5M. The power, handling, suspension ride, tech, seats and just about everything was a sizeable leap. My takeaway from the test drive was not "this thing needs more power" but then again you can never have too much....
The E7x chassis to the F8x chassis was a noticeable leap in power not only in overall power but in delivery as well. The new version is hands down superior to the old. Not many times I would ever say that but in this case I find it hard to argue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #40
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

I've always been a fan of Dinan, and if I was planning on upgrading my M model I'd use them if for no other reason than they match the BMW warranty if something goes wrong. But without taking anything away from Dinan, I'm actually super impressed by much power the car is really making stock. BMW clearly anticipated other manufacturers gunning for their numbers, and built in a big "F-U" to anyone who tries one upping them.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #41
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

With current EPA lawsuits, Insurance companies, etc. I don't think BMW would take a chance by submitting a doctored SAE dyno to the regulators. You get the power in their graph below under their test standards. I believe those numbers have to be accurate.

But, the magic is in the test standards. If they are using 86 octane to get their SAE numbers......and we use 91-93 octane in the real world....more boost and more timing is added by the DME and you are getting more power than their SAE chart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
      10-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #42
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
If this is to much HP go get a toyota Highlander. That way you have a perfectly balance SUV with very little HP.
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #43
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
If this is to much HP go get a toyota Highlander. That way you have a perfectly balance SUV with very little HP.
      10-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #44
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

If bmw is reporting hp at the wheels, why would dinan report hp at the crank except to make the gains seems larger than they are?
Appreciate 1