BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / 991.1 GT3 /RR Dawn

Eisenmann vs Dinan vs Other Exhausts

Hey everyone,
I have a 2016 X5M (black sapphire metallic).

[post edited]
I am getting dinan stage 1 tuning this week, but undecided on exhaust though leaning Dinan because of price.
Dinan exhaust sounds good on the videos I have seen.
Eisenmann and Akrapovič Exhaust sound great too but seem to be more expensive.

I am not an expert on exhausts and of course each company will tell you theirs is better for various reasons.

Also if there are any better options?

I am leaning Dinan because it is the best price, but feedback appreciated to help me understand differences in sound, performance to justify higher costs.

Thanks

Last edited by bryantmeyers; 05-31-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The only difference between the exhausts mentioned is price, looks and sound. Looks and sound is subjective so you really pick based on what you like and feel comfortable paying.

For me they rank like this

Dinan sounds the best
Akrapovic looks the best
Eisenmann is like the middle ground

I went with Dinan because of price and sound. They all yield similar hp gains and on a 600+HP you aren't going to notice it.
      05-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

When you get a hp gain of 6 on a 600hp ride, you are within the margin of error of the dyno. I've logged 100's of runs from 400rwhp to 1500rwhp and it takes a lot of effort to approach 1% repeatability. Aftermarket exhaust for the M is to sound preference. And that is important for a SuperCar like the M.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
The only difference between the exhausts mentioned is price, looks and sound. Looks and sound is subjective so you really pick based on what you like and feel comfortable paying.

For me they rank like this

Dinan sounds the best
Akrapovic looks the best
Eisenmann is like the middle ground

I went with Dinan because of price and sound. They all yield similar hp gains and on a 600+HP you aren't going to notice it.
Thanks Alan, that is very helpful and also the way I am most likely going to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
When you get a hp gain of 6 on a 600hp ride, you are within the margin of error of the dyno. I've logged 100's of runs from 400rwhp to 1500rwhp and it takes a lot of effort to approach 1% repeatability. Aftermarket exhaust for the M is to sound preference. And that is important for a SuperCar like the M.
Thanks for sharing your experience, great point!
For me, I think sound edges looks... And sounds being fairly equal, price than wins! Advantage Dinan on price from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

How about drone? Reports are that the Akra gets rid of any drone. What about the Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoniner View Post
How about drone? Reports are that the Akra gets rid of any drone. What about the Dinan?
Quote below is from http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/03/04/di...ressive-sound/

Quote:
The new Dinan Free Flow exhaust system has been designed to improve exhaust flow by reducing backpressure. This results in increased power output and really improves the tone characteristics of the 4.4 liter engine without making it overly loud. Dinan utilizes a Helmholtz chamber that works to reduce exhaust drone on the freeway.
But I would love to hear real world experience on this point if anyone has a Dinan exhaust system on their X5m and can chime in...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      06-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #7
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

No drone whatsoever on the Dinan.

Ask Djvolume and AwesomeM3. I did a drive by for them with the Dinan exhaust. They probably know what it sounds like better than I do. Lol.

I love it. It's throatier, slightly deeper and louder - It's got a nice bite when you're under load. The length of the tips is really what is most different. I was so on the fence with this one issue - but I now like it over stock. But I also realize this is a huge personal preference thing.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo
No drone whatsoever on the Dinan.

Ask Djvolume and AwesomeM3. I did a drive by for them with the Dinan exhaust. They probably know what it sounds like better than I do. Lol.

I love it. It's throatier, slightly deeper and louder - It's got a nice bite when you're under load. The length of the tips is really what is most different. I was so on the fence with this one issue - but I now like it over stock. But I also realize this is a huge personal preference thing.
No drone confirmed
      06-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

I'm also trying to decide which system to get. Kind of leaning towards the Dinan, but I wish we didn't have to cut the stock exhaust off. I really wanted to keep it intact, and it looks like the only way to do that is to go with the Akra.
      06-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
G80POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouser View Post
I'm also trying to decide which system to get. Kind of leaning towards the Dinan, but I wish we didn't have to cut the stock exhaust off. I really wanted to keep it intact, and it looks like the only way to do that is to go with the Akra.
I'm having my Dinan exhaust installed tomorrow! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:32 AM   #11
FedM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F86, F13

im also on the fence, I have Eisenmann sport at the moment, but it is a bit quiet for me. I decided not to go with any downpipes on this car so Im thinking of Eisenmann Race exhaust. But I'm afraid it to be too noisy for our baby who will soon be seating at the rear. Maybe I should better leave Sport exhaust but buy Macht Schnell valves control?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

I looked at the MS valve controller. I don't really see much benefit. Factory M will open the valves at idle and at part throttle in the lower gears. Factory M will open the valves at wide open throttle in all gears. The only thing MS does beyond that is it will keep the valves open at part throttle in the higher gears which is the drone zone.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #13
FedM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the MS valve controller. I don't really see much benefit. Factory M will open the valves at idle and at part throttle in the lower gears. Factory M will open the valves at wide open throttle in all gears. The only thing MS does beyond that is it will keep the valves open at part throttle in the higher gears which is the drone zone.
the thing that if I want to open valves I need to go to M mode with changes in drive modes, I can't simply open the valves without changing anything else. And MC could do that
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

You could set M1 for sound and M2 for boogie.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
FedM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You could set M1 for sound and M2 for boogie.
Thanks. Ill try to
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #16
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX6M View Post
I'm having my Dinan exhaust installed tomorrow! Can't wait!
Nice! Just ordered mine today with black ceramic exhaust tips
So Dinan it is for me..
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Bumping this thread up because I just went from stock --->Dinan--->Eisenmann Race on my X5M.

I loved the way the Dinan looked and was very well made. Sound increase from stock was subtle and maybe 10-15% louder than stock. Driving around keeping the rpms below 3K it sounds stockish. If you let it rev out it sounds great and noticeably louder than stock. Again maybe 15-20% or so judging from my ears.

I went with Eisenmann Race simply because i wanted something significantly louder than stock. Boy did i get it with this exhaust lol. I would say its atleast 50% louder than stock if not more. Its bassy down low and mixed with raspy up high which sounds glorious. THIS is what I was looking for in an exhaust for this car. The 102MM tips while not as refined as the Dinan just looks ultra aggressive compared to the 90mm Dinan. If you want to hear your exhaust all the time then the Eisenmann race is the one to get. If you only want to hear it when you are revving it out and driving aggressively then Dinan is a good choice.

I also did a test by disabling ASD with the Dinan which made the car way too quiet. If you kept the RPMs below 4K it sounded like a bone stock X5 35i. After 4K you can hear the exhaust alittle.

I did the same with the Eisenmann Race and with ASD disabled this is the sweet spot for me. Natural sound from the rear and plenty loud enough. I didn't need the ASD sound blended in there any more and it was a bit much with it on. Race with ASD off is the ticket.

Right now I am very happy with the switch

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 07-23-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Bumping this thread up because I just went from stock --->Dinan--->Eisenmann Race on my X5M.

I loved the way the Dinan looked and was very well made. Sound increase from stock was subtle and maybe 10-15% louder than stock. Driving around keeping the rpms below 3K it sounds stockish. If you let it rev out it sounds great and noticeably louder than stock. Again maybe 15-20% or so judging from my ears.

I went with Eisenmann Race simply because i wanted something significantly louder than stock. Boy did i get it with this exhaust lol. I would say its atleast 50% louder than stock if not more. Its bassy down low and mixed with raspy up high which sounds glorious. THIS is what I was looking for in an exhaust for this car. The 102MM tips while not as refined as the Dinan just looks ultra aggressive compared to the 90mm Dinan. If you want to hear your exhaust all the time then the Eisenmann race is the one to get. If you only want to hear it when you are revving it out and driving aggressively then Dinan is a good choice.

I also did a test by disabling ASD with the Dinan which made the car way too quiet. If you kept the RPMs below 4K it sounded like a bone stock X5 35i. After 4K you can hear the exhaust alittle.

I did the same with the Eisenmann Race and with ASD disabled this is the sweet spot for me. Natural sound from the rear and plenty loud enough. I didn't need the ASD sound blended in there any more and it was a bit much with it on. Race with ASD off is the ticket.

Alan
Can you post some pictures of how the tips look on your X?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:

Alan

Do you have to cut the stock pipes with the Eisenmann system?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #20
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I was sure i'd posted in this thread, but it looks like I haven't.

Anyway, thanks @Alan I. This is the review I was looking for.

Can I ask, do you find it drones at all? How do you find it in traffic?

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

The tips are fully adjustable so you can have them as recessed or protruded as you want. Staggered or not. I still need to tweak mine slightly to get them perfect so I will take some pics then. I have them staggered right now but other tips needs to come out slightly more.

All exhausts for this car requires cutting the stock piping so you can clamp the new one over unless you get a FULL exhaust system like Akra or FI. Frankly i don't think its needed because the stock system is pretty much straight pipes all the way back to the muffler already.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to drive this car around the new exhaust so that it doesn't annoy my wife. She hasn't mentioned anything to me yet so thats a good start This exhaust doesn't really drone when you are on the highway because the bassiest section is right around 1500 rpm. When you are cruising i'm rarely that low in the rpm band so it doesn't drone to me. You hear it but its not that annoying droning sound that i've had before in other cars. The higher the rpm the nicer the sound gets.

Cold starts are loud though and i'm sure my neighbors will hate me for this lol

Alan
      07-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Eisenmann Race with 102mm Black Chrome Tips

KFF_X5M44.00