Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Bro I hope you go right to the service manager with this shiz. I would be livid. Just pure utter inexcusable laziness from that whole service department over that. What kind of an idiot would look at that and say it was on right. How hard would it have been to go look at one on the lot or another one in the shop to see that it wasn't lol.

I'm sorry for the rant but I LOATHE dealership service departments. I think they're all out to rob you at every turn and outside of having the specific manuals for repair they're generally no better than discount tire or Midas. Minus the 1 or 2 master techs they may have that have been there forever. The rest of them are just kids who went to a special (insert car brand service school). It's a joke sometimes how dumb and arrogant and little they attempt to make the consumer feel about something and then you prove them wrong and watch them defend it until they're blue in the face. I mean to sit there and tell you "they fixed it and didn't even charge you" like they did you a favor is just laughable.

Hope you get this fixed and at least an apology.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 05:35 AM   #24
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
That's the issue, I believe it does, it has the release latch etc. What has happened is I think if it gets put on backwards (front and back is not that easy to identify) it will get stuck and it can't be moved. Ours has been that way since we bought it as a CPO. I took the car in yesterday for an oil change and had them correct this. They wrote up the ticket vaguely and the tech only looked at the left & right and claimed they were on right (which they are). The SA told me, we fixed the issue and we didn't charge you. Like an idiot I didn't check it or look at the paperwork there at the dealership. It's still the way it was when I brought it in and still won't budge (I don't want to yank it).

So I'm trying to obtain a picture of someones that works properly and in the correct orientation. Here is a picture of mine.

That headrest is installed backwards! Had the same issue with my old X5 F15 2014. Tried to swap myself but that was impossible. It completely locks when installed the wrong Way. Dealer sorted me out. No cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

If they can't tell it's installed backwards by simply looking at the stitching they should not be working on our vehicles. How could anyone with any sense not see that BMW would not put mismatching, hideous stitching facing out like that? Crazy.

Even if the headrest isn't designed to elevate, the fact that it's installed backwards and wasn't corrected as promised during the service visit is ridiculous. Oh well, I can't begin to tell you the problems we've had with our Escalade lately!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #26
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
If they can't tell it's installed backwards by simply looking at the stitching they should not be working on our vehicles. How could anyone with any sense not see that BMW would not put mismatching, hideous stitching facing out like that? Crazy.

Even if the headrest isn't designed to elevate, the fact that it's installed backwards and wasn't corrected as promised during the service visit is ridiculous. Oh well, I can't begin to tell you the problems we've had with our Escalade lately!
I can imagine, its a Cadillac after all. They are taking care of me Thursday. Frankly I'm done with the dealership unless it's a warranty item. I knew the dealership would be more $$, and I was willing to pay that if I got exceptional care .... NOT!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
I can imagine, its a Cadillac after all. They are taking care of me Thursday. Frankly I'm done with the dealership unless it's a warranty item. I knew the dealership would be more $$, and I was willing to pay that if I got exceptional care .... NOT!
Good luck! Our Cadillac dealership is actually pretty good, Sewell runs some great dealerships in Texas. It's the Escalade itself. Wow. It's our second one, plus a Yukon XL Denali...should know better.

I'm pretty anti-GM, but you can't tell with the few hundred thousand we've spent on them. With five kids there's not much else for us in the same size range. We've owned just about everything over the years...

Now our oldest is driving, so we're thinking of moving to the LX 570 for me and another Range Rover for the wife...she misses her supercharger. We'll see how the new tax laws impact us.
      12-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #28
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
Good luck! Our Cadillac dealership is actually pretty good, Sewell runs some great dealerships in Texas. It's the Escalade itself. Wow. It's our second one, plus a Yukon XL Denali...should know better.

I'm pretty anti-GM, but you can't tell with the few hundred thousand we've spent on them. With five kids there's not much else for us in the same size range. We've owned just about everything over the years...

Now our oldest is driving, so we're thinking of moving to the LX 570 for me and another Range Rover for the wife...she misses her supercharger. We'll see how the new tax laws impact us.
Yeah, I was referring more to GM/Cadillac and not so much the dealership. Sewell does have a good reputation, when we had our Infiniti G37, they were the cheapest online dealer for OEM parts (spoiler, etc) and have ordered from them several times.

Take a look at that big Infiniti SUV with the v8, not sure the model number off hand as they have goobered them all up. I've had two Infiniti's and they have been rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #29
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Shouldn't have read this;
my middle headrest does not move a bit, only hurt my finger in trying to press the Unlock Pin.
My car is 4 months old, never bothered me as no one uses this seat.
But now it upsets me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #30
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

So the dealership got the headrest installed facing the correct direction but broke the "guide" as they call it. This is EXACTLY why I didn't try to force it and remove it myself. They have ordered a new part and will fix everything under warranty, which made me chuckle as its not a warranty issue but a dealership/tech issue. I can conform a few things regarding the middle headrest as follows:
  • It works opposite of the left/right ones and you have to press the release push button on the base of the right shaft to raise it. (L & R ones you just lift to raise, button to lower)
  • It is not adjustable, it's all the way down (snaps into place) or you raise it all the way to remove it.
  • The left shaft does not have a release button but there is a smaller notch in the shaft that serves as a "friction" catch.

So if all is working properly you should be able to push the release button, pull up with slight force and it will raise in order to remove it.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #31
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

I have taken the middle head rest out and it's a bitch to remove but it does come out. You have to wedge your finger under and push the button to release but if I remember correctly, it does not have different height settings so there's no reason to take out if you don't need to. I was trying to put on a car seat strap onto the latch
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #32
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer informs that the middle rear headrest can only be tilted (for better rear view while driving), though I also did not manage to do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #33
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbedi View Post
My dealer informs that the middle rear headrest can only be tilted (for better rear view while driving), though I also did not manage to do this.
Not sure what year you have but if it's a 2014 then they are wrong. I does not tilt, it does remove (but does not have variable up/down increments). It's either down or removed and it works opposite of the left and right ones.

Last edited by Florida-X3; 01-15-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

The middle rear headrest can be raised but probably would not hold up as the pegs are not as long as its counterparts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #35
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
The middle rear headrest can be raised but probably would not hold up as the pegs are not as long as its counterparts.
Yes, it can be raised but there are no notches to hold the height in place. It's designed to be installed (all the way down) or uninstalled (removed). What's stupid is it's so stiff for many people, the operation is backwards from the left & right (push button to raise, not pull up and push to lower like the left & right) and that nothing is documented in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 03:58 AM   #36
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Left and right outer ones are easy to raise; according to the manual:
"The center head restraint cannot be adjusted in elevation"

Attachment 1739980

Guess the manual is the answer to all things....go figure.
One would think it should operate like the rest but it appears real world experience differs from that.
I read some place that the center headrest can not be adjusted. Tried mine and it seems as permanently fitted. BTW mine is brand-new and fitted properly.
      09-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #37
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
No mine is definitely on the right way round but what ever I do I cannot raise the bloody thing What is the point when you have someone sitting in the rear middle seat! Another BMW flaw on an £85k vehicle
Wow, I ordered wrong interior , looks great.

Have the same problem, dealer says it can only removed. On the net I read several contradicting comments.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 05:19 AM   #38
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

Quote:
Quote:
No mine is definitely on the right way round but what ever I do I cannot raise the bloody thing What is the point when you have someone sitting in the rear middle seat! Another BMW flaw on an £85k vehicle

Have the same problem, dealer says it can only removed. On the net I read several contradicting comments.
Mine cannot even be removed. But has the button like for the two side headrests. Looks a fake button.
      09-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Mine cannot even be removed. But has the button like for the two side headrests. Looks a fake button.
It's just "stuck" as most of ours are. The button works opposite of the left and right rear headrests. The dealer "unstuck" mine and broke the internal plastic guide part freeing it up. Mine works good now after they replaced the part they broke but I applied a thin layer of the silicone based WD40.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #40
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's just "stuck" as most of ours are. The button works opposite of the left and right rear headrests. The dealer "unstuck" mine and broke the internal plastic guide part freeing it up. Mine works good now after they replaced the part they broke but I applied a thin layer of the silicone based WD40.
Still crazy to me that they told you it was backwards and NO one could tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #41
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Still crazy to me that they told you it was backwards and NO one could tell the difference.
No, mine was indeed backwards and could not be moved. When they tried to move it (which they did) they broke the internal sleeve piece. Once they replaced that piece I can raise, lower and remove it. Everyone seems to be confused as to the function, having lived through this, below are the facts:
  • The middle headrest is designed to move up and down (and removed).
  • However there are no "stops" (aka notches) to hold it in a position other than all the way down.
  • Not sure if its the manufacturing process or the tolerances too close but almost everyone's is stuck.
  • The button works the opposite of the Left/Right head rests.
  • Push the button to raise it from it's fully seated position. Once the slit is clear of the button lock, it slides up and down. It's just that the "throw" is short and it won't lock into a certain position.

Unless you have a need to move it like I do (I have a padded fabric trunk liner that I have velcro straps that go around all three rear seat headrest posts), I don't see the need to move it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #42
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
No, mine was indeed backwards and could not be moved. When they tried to move it (which they did) they broke the internal sleeve piece. Once they replaced that piece I can raise, lower and remove it. Everyone seems to be confused as to the function, having lived through this, below are the facts:
  • The middle headrest is designed to move up and down (and removed).
  • However there are no "stops" (aka notches) to hold it in a position other than all the way down.
  • Not sure if its the manufacturing process or the tolerances too close but almost everyone's is stuck.
  • The button works the opposite of the Left/Right head rests.
  • Push the button to raise it from it's fully seated position. Once the slit is clear of the button lock, it slides up and down. It's just that the "throw" is short and it won't lock into a certain position.

Unless you have a need to move it like I do (I have a padded fabric trunk liner that I have velcro straps that go around all three rear seat headrest posts), I don't see the need to move it.
Well
Good thing they are taking care of you. In the end, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0