BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

2017 X5 Navigation stopped working

Hi,

Any1 experienced an issue when all of the sudden the navigation won't turn on?
No error message of any sort... I see the "Navigation" icon in the menu, but when i press it, nothing happens. The map/nav button don't do anything. We had a pretty bad, freezing week here in Philly.. im talking -2F at night... could it be that the hard drive failed?

Please let me know if you experienced something like this.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik82 View Post
Hi,

No error message of any sort... I see the "Navigation" icon in the menu, but when i press it, nothing happens. The map/nav button don't do anything. We had a pretty bad, freezing week here in Philly.. im talking -2F at night... could it be that the hard drive failed?

Thanks
Are you still under warranty? Give them a call
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Have you checked the fuse?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

We had an issue with our X5 navigation turning off at random times for no reason. BMW fixed it and mentioned there was a service bulletin out on it. You will lose all coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Are you still under warranty? Give them a call
yeah, the car is under warranty... i am not worried about that.
I'd rather fix it myself if I can rather than let them
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Have you checked the fuse?
I doubt it's the fuse, but will certainly check it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
We had an issue with our X5 navigation turning off at random times for no reason. BMW fixed it and mentioned there was a service bulletin out on it. You will lose all coding.
And this is what I am trying to avoid... don't feel like re-coding everything afterwards and I hope that dealer won't give me crap for having any codes done. Technically they shouldn't be able to see it in the first place, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

They see everything, so long as they are not the reason your navigation is acting up you will be fine.
Appreciate 1
Stev_chu108.00
      01-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
qocerhuang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 50i

My car is 2014, it happens to it couple times. It will automatic restart, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qocerhuang View Post
My car is 2014, it happens to it couple times. It will automatic restart, no problem.
its been about 4 days and still not working
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
I had an Audi that would do this, it turned out that the rear window washer fluid line had froze and burst which allowed washer fluid to run down the inside of the car and pool up on the MMI electronics located in the rear driver's side access panel. Fortunately, it didn't actually fry the electronics it just created a temporary short circuit that would last anywhere from several hours to several days.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
I had an Audi that would do this, it turned out that the rear window washer fluid line had froze and burst which allowed washer fluid to run down the inside of the car and pool up on the MMI electronics located in the rear driver's side access panel. Fortunately, it didn't actually fry the electronics it just created a temporary short circuit that would last anywhere from several hours to several days.
wow... out of all the things I would never have guessed something like this
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow... out of all the things I would never have guessed something like this
Yeah, it was tricky to diagnose because the MMI problem was intermittent and the washer fluid line wasn't completely severed, so it still passed some of the fluid to the rear window but for every drop that was going to the rear window there was a drop heading toward the MMI electronics.

The freeze was likely due to whatever crap the local full service gas station was adding to the washer fluid tank when my wife would stop for a fuel up, because why would they actually use the good stuff when they can save themselves a little money by using the cheapest stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
TDOT_X5
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
I had a similar issue with my 2017 X5. I rebooted the system by pushing in the volume bottom for about 20secs. After reboot, everything worked as normal.
Give it a try
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      01-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
darkevia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 35i

Hey alik, did you end up fixing the problem? My dad's X5 had the exact same issue that started about a week ago. I'm not sure what happened, but out of the blue both the navigation and siriusxm radio stopped working. It also got really cold here in Canada, -25 C or so.

I tried resetting by holding the power button, but didn't resolve it. Next step is of course taking to the dealership but was hoping for a quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
webhogg76
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3

There is an anti-theft feature that gets activated erroneously (by no fault of yours). As a result, you can't click on Navigation, as well as Satellite radio (if equipped). The dealership can have it reactivated. They'll probably program the car to the latest software level too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Storm_M6
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Coupe, X7. I3

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Did you fix this? Having same problem
      07-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_335i View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Did you fix this? Having same problem
Yep. Had to take it to the dealer. Apparently BMW posed some over the air update that messed up some cars. They did a software update and that fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 02:57 AM   #19
francoish
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 F16

Hi,
First, sorry in advance for my english, I'll try do do my best (I am french).

And sorry for posting in an old thread... I have got exactly the same issue on my X6 F16 since a few days. And it is quite annoying because I have to sell the car next saturday.
Yes, cars have a soul... Mine knows I will sell it so "she" 's starting to piss me off.

I tried several things to fix the issue :
- roll-back on an update I did some time ago : still not OK
- new update : still not OK
- iDrive reset : still not OK
- unplug the battery for half an hour : still not OK
- check the GPS fuse : the fuse is OK

I know the GPS is working because when I configure the split screen to the position view, it displays the GPS coordinates. But as soon as I configure the nav view, the right side of the screen keeps black.

So I'd like to know if anyone has other idea I could try before bringing the car to the dealer.
Indeed, my dealer has no time to check the car before next saturday... and I would not like to cancel the selling !

Thanks in advance for your help...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #20
Cmac518
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Had the same issue with the navigation and satellite radio not functioning all of a sudden after 5 years running fine.

For history: It did reboot automatically a couple of times in the past week and then the screen went dark one day. After a few drive cycles it came back on but the nav and SiriusXM satellite was not working. Shows on the menu but just isn’t there. (Navigation is greyed out and satellite menu shows up but nothing happens when you select it just a blank menu).

I rebooted several times (and yes you can reboot while the car is on and even when you’re not in accessory mode, car turned on). I checked the battery in the trunk. All looked good, put it on a trickle charge but was fully charged within minutes. I checked the split screen and did see coordinates and position so knew the gps was working.

I updated the software (.bin file) to the latest revision (thru usb and bmw website) and that didn’t solve it. I then repatched with a carplay mod .bin file I had from years ago and it magically started worked again. Just tossing this post in here in case others have the same problem in the future. Worth a try! Will repost if something changes but if not consider it worked….!
Appreciate 0