BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #67
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
I'll take the 16mpg and the added maintenance of turning off the rear a/c any day, small price to pay for a fast and fun vehicle
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #68
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Cars have sickness like humans
AC is very important in particular when in regions of high warmth. did you try to fix it through the dealer? curious to read what they said.

also, be aware of changing a car is always "what do you gain when you loose". but best of luck of course.

thank you
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      08-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #69
JL Fitzpatrick
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Fitzpatrick View Post
And it's a fitting one considering the University that discovered Dieselgate ran an X5 diesel as their third vehicle and it met emissions standards. Install all the necessary expensive equipment and program it to work. What a concept.
When driving a VAG TDI product you must've noticed that it does not sound like a typical diesel and have clattering and chattering. When I test drove the 35d it sounded like a farm tractor compared to the Q7. It was worse than what I had in my V10 Touareg which was a much larger motor and was quieter and smoother than the 35D. I found out that the "cheat" device installed was initially designed to quiet the motors which it achieved but the downside was emissions increased because of "pilot mode" which is when the defeat device would initiate and skew emissions testing. I wound up in a 50i instead then went on to an X5M because I could not tolerate the engine noise. That being said the BMW product does the job very well and I do not have any gripe with the vehicle outside of the engine noise.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...defeat-device/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
Few more nit picky things but I expected a lot more from a flagship model with BMW.
The X5 is not the flagship model for BMW nor is the trim you picked the highest priced example of that model but in any event perhaps you may post the VIN on here so others in the future can avoid that specific X5 and not have the same experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
And it's a fitting one considering the University that discovered Dieselgate ran an X5 diesel as their third vehicle and it met emissions standards. Install all the necessary expensive equipment and program it to work. What a concept.
When driving a VAG TDI product you must've noticed that it does not sound like a typical diesel and have clattering and chattering. When I test drove the 35d it sounded like a farm tractor compared to the Q7. It was worse than what I had in my V10 Touareg which was a much larger motor and was quieter and smoother than the 35D. I found out that the "cheat" device installed was initially designed to quiet the motors which it achieved but the downside was emissions increased because of "pilot mode" which is when the defeat device would initiate and skew emissions testing. I wound up in a 50i instead then went on to an X5M because I could not tolerate the engine noise. That being said the BMW product does the job very well and I do not have any gripe with the vehicle outside of the engine noise.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...defeat-device/

Quote:
Few more nit picky things but I expected a lot more from a flagship model with BMW.
The X5 is not the flagship model for BMW nor is the trim you picked the highest priced example of that model but in any event perhaps you may post the VIN on here so others in the future can avoid that specific X5 and not have the same experience.
In terms of Diesel engine sound, I found the opposite is true, my Touareg clattered a lot more, inside and out. Perhaps the Q7 uses more sound insulation. Then there were all the service issues the Touareg had (Steering system, Ad Blue heater, fuel pump relay, rear hatch struts, etc.). So while I enjoyed the Touareg, the X5 has been a better car, and has not needed any service (knock on dashboard wood) except routine maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #70
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I have a 2018 xdrive 35i 3rd row with summer tires. I have ac control front, second row and third row I have no issues.. but I dont use auto climate. I always set to inside air when autobahn and if the car is just started then I switch to outside. I drive on the autobahn and at 220 kph the car seems pretty damn silent just the wind noise and me passing others, at 160kph is completely silent I dont get wind noise I can turn off the stereo and talk to passengers without any issue ..even in third row. Only days I notice issues when the wind is 20 mph or more then i get more noise but nothing like my lexus or Tacoma. I also get between 18 to 20 mpg. That's driving at 100mph plus for 2 hours.

Last edited by Mjbmw1; 08-19-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #71
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Quote:
In terms of Diesel engine sound, I found the opposite is true, my Touareg clattered a lot more, inside and out. Perhaps the Q7 uses more sound insulation. Then there were all the service issues the Touareg had (Steering system, Ad Blue heater, fuel pump relay, rear hatch struts, etc.). So while I enjoyed the Touareg, the X5 has been a better car, and has not needed any service (knock on dashboard wood) except routine maintenance.
I would agree, I've heard louder Mercedes GL's and other high end brands, my 35d is pretty quiet to the point where people can't believe it's a diesel.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      08-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #72
Pdubhtown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:
I can't do it anymore. Just not happy with the overall experience. So less than a year in, I'm selling it and moving on. I only got the x5 as I was rear ended in my 4 year old x3 with 102k miles on it. Got a sweetheart deal. Loved the x3

I hate the AC. I have to disable the overpriced rear climate in iDrive just to drive acceptable airflow.

Mocha Package with the leather dash. Don't know about anyone else but there's a smell from this that gives me a headache on hot days. Also, this interior just always feels hotter than other cars to me. It was annoying.

CarPlay hardly ever worked. Very clunky implementation and not as fluid as a ford rental I had last year! Also static on about 40% of my calls.

Mileage was not as good as advertised ~23.5 with eco pro and careful driving. Expected better.

Wind noise was higher than I expected for a 65k+ car. Dealer wouldn't troubleshoot it as it was within acceptable standards.

Love mines. I've had it for about two weeks but it's been the best car I've owned.
Appreciate 0