BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
mortoney
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

F15 air suspension issue. Car not lifting anymore

My sister went on holiday for a week and left her broken car with me. BMW X5 f15 2015.
I have done some DIY work on my own car, so I thought maybe I could try to diagnose and fix her car's suspension issue.
Initially, she told me that one side of her car not lifting, so I right away thought it will be a suspension air bag. But once she actually brought the car to me, both sides are not lifting at all.

Car sit with empty suspension bags now, I can't do a leak test on it. I cannot hear the pump trying to lift either. The car was not driven for few days, I wonder if the pump went into some sleep mode... Maybe the battery is not charged enough?
I also checked 40a fuse, it is fine.

Any suggestions on how I can identify the issue? I don't think that both airbags are so blown that they can't hold any air at all.
Oh, and dash shows Chassis function restricted warning message.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortoney View Post
My sister went on holiday for a week and left her broken car with me. BMW X5 f15 2015.
I have done some DIY work on my own car, so I thought maybe I could try to diagnose and fix her car's suspension issue.
Initially, she told me that one side of her car not lifting, so I right away thought it will be a suspension air bag. But once she actually brought the car to me, both sides are not lifting at all.

Car sit with empty suspension bags now, I can't do a leak test on it. I cannot hear the pump trying to lift either. The car was not driven for few days, I wonder if the pump went into some sleep mode... Maybe the battery is not charged enough?
I also checked 40a fuse, it is fine.

Any suggestions on how I can identify the issue? I don't think that both airbags are so blown that they can't hold any air at all.
Oh, and dash shows Chassis function restricted warning message.
Welcome to the forum, please introduce yourself to the search feature here, it will help you to find many threads with helpful information. Air suspension problems were covered very well in these threads:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641660
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1733505
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1511949
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1751937

Sounds like your compressor died trying to pump air into the damaged air bags leaking air.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594144.50
      07-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

My bags looked fine and yet both sides would go flat.

And no holes could be found after inspection.

I'd recommend just doing both at the same time as if ones blown the second may not be far behind.

Got to fix the bags before playing with the compressor.

You can burn the compressor out if it's just pumping air continuously.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
mortoney
Rep

Thanks for replies.

I have a feeling that compressor is bad now because of leaky air bags as RED_Y_ says. But from the other forum threads that i read usually people get blown fuse when compressor fails, which is no the case here.

I will try to remove compressor and test it using power supply.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
mortoney
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
My bags looked fine and yet both sides would go flat.

And no holes could be found after inspection.

I'd recommend just doing both at the same time as if ones blown the second may not be far behind.

Got to fix the bags before playing with the compressor.

You can burn the compressor out if it's just pumping air continuously.
I suspect you are right about airbags, would need replacing them, but at this point they are not inflating, which seems that compressor is not doing its job.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I would still try to start with airbags first.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:59 AM   #7
mortoney
Rep

I found that compressor is actually "working", I can hear a noise when I open the doors, but the car is not lifting.
I have removed the output hose from compressor and checked if air is pumping. And it is pumping, but I think its weak, I can fully block it with my fingers.
I have taken the compressor apart to see if there is anything I can see obvious, but it looks clean (including venting solenoid), even dried out those little beans inside... those were half dry anyway.
I have installed it back and checked, but still same weak output and car not lifting.
I have ordered a new compressor, waiting now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
mortoney
Rep

Update:
Replaced suspension's air compressor (£330) and car is lifting fine again. Ordered airbags too (Arnott £280 for pair) , arriving tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Nice! Go aftermarket or OE used with the compressor?

Yes, the bags are a smart move. There’s a reason there was an air loss previously.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
mortoney
Rep

Aftermarket, with 2 years warranty on it. I am hoping it will last much longer than that with no leaks, time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I found that compressor is actually "working", I can hear a noise when I open the doors, but the car is not lifting.
I have removed the output hose from compressor and checked if air is pumping. And it is pumping, but I think its weak, I can fully block it with my fingers.
I have taken the compressor apart to see if there is anything I can see obvious, but it looks clean (including venting solenoid), even dried out those little beans inside... those were half dry anyway.
I have installed it back and checked, but still same weak output and car not lifting.
I have ordered a new compressor, waiting now.
That noise was most likely your fuel pump priming. Sounds like you got the compressor for cheap though. My bags went around 40k miles. Haven't had an issue with the compressor as I replaced the bags ASAP.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
goliati
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 '16

Suggestion to replace both air bags is right to the point. 280 for pair doesn't sound much. Had to pay almost triple in Qatar...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #13
agruts_F15
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Aftermarket, with 2 years warranty on it. I am hoping it will last much longer than that with no leaks, time will tell.
What brand did you go with?
Appreciate 0