03-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
In all my years of BMW ownership I've never had this happen. I logged on to MyBMW to look for some lease documentation on a previous car for tax purposes. Lo and behold, my lease account for the X5 is active!

Contract started on 2/24 - the day the car entered production. I already have a bill due on 3/26. I have yet to take delivery and the car only just arrived at the selling dealer Thursday.

So basically I'm being asked to pay for a month of usage during which I had no car. I was fully expecting the contract to start the day the vehicle left the lot - which is supposed to be tomorrow unless the truck is delayed due to snow. I mean that's how it always works. You sign paperwork and drive off.

Has anybody ever had this happen? Is it even legal? Seems ballsy. What if the car were damaged or destroyed during transport? Or missing options/factory error?

My calls to the Sales Manager haven't been returned yet and BMW FS is closed on weekends. I hope this is a quick fix, otherwise they're keeping it and I'll do whatever I need to do to get my money back.
      03-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
In all my years of BMW ownership I've never had this happen. I logged on to MyBMW to look for some lease documentation on a previous car for tax purposes. Lo and behold, my lease account for the X5 is active!

Contract started on 2/24 - the day the car entered production. I already have a bill due on 3/26. I have yet to take delivery and the car only just arrived at the selling dealer Thursday.

So basically I'm being asked to pay for a month of usage during which I had no car. I was fully expecting the contract to start the day the vehicle left the lot - which is supposed to be tomorrow unless the truck is delayed due to snow. I mean that's how it always works. You sign paperwork and drive off.

Has anybody ever had this happen? Is it even legal? Seems ballsy. What if the car were damaged or destroyed during transport? Or missing options/factory error?

My calls to the Sales Manager haven't been returned yet and BMW FS is closed on weekends. I hope this is a quick fix, otherwise they're keeping it and I'll do whatever I need to do to get my money back.
You should call BMW Financial Service and get BMW to credit you. You shouldn't get charged until the 1st day you go pickup your new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I did. They've encouraged me to work with the dealer first. If no progress there, get NA and FS involved together. But the rep agreed I shouldn't be charged until I take delivery.
      03-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

I can't say that I've ever heard of this happening before, but I seems to me that it would have to be an error on the part of the dealer rather than BMW or BMWFS. Have you heard back from the dealer yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I was able to speak to the Sales Manager today. He's working on it and will either make me whole by reimbursing me for a payment, or working with BMWFS to adjust the contract inception date. (I'm hoping for the latter.)

He also mentioned that despite the snow in the DC metro area my X5 was picked up today and is on its way home to me.

This whole deal has been a bit crazy. My CA who I have used for years abruptly quit to go to another dealer during the middle of the transaction. He was the only person I knew at this place, leaving me in the dark after he was gone. I think that's what set a lot of this confusion in motion. He's a good guy and it's a huge promotion for him, but would've rather he waited until my transaction was finalized.
      03-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

We got 5-6 inches of snow in VA... but the major roads are fine. Hope you get your car soon and get deferral on the payment.

I am doing PCD later this month and had to pay the invoice prior going down. In VA, there is a 3 day recession period on car purchases... I guess this would fall into the category that buyer beware as the recession period would have expired before taking actual delivery. Not that I will return a new F15...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

IMO one should not have the need To Pay before inspecting the goods, What if There is Something wrong With the product...
Appreciate 0