BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
pblakeway
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5/M4/X5

rear seats from a 7 seater in a 5

Is it possible to fit the rear seats from a 7 seater in a 5 seater car, just the rear seats I'm not fitting the third row.
I've currently got cloth seats, with a bench type seat in the back and bought a replacement set of leather seats from a scrappers and it looks like its coming with 7 seats, I don't want the third row anyway as id prefer the storage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Anything is possible...but how easy is it? Have you checked the mounting differences between the two options?

The seat configuration for the 2nd row when there's a 3rd row...has a design that allows them to articulate upward & forward to facilitate access to the third row. So, if you have the regular 2nd row seats that don't slide forward...there may be additional hardware required for mounting them.

If you're not familiar with the part database sites...you may want to jump in...and see what the mounting requirements are for each configuration. Try www.realoem.com or www.bimmercat.com those two part database sites have pretty good diagrams.

BTW, if you have the 2nd row comfort seats...that may be an easier swap since those 2nd row seats do slide forward as well as articulate backwards a few more degrees...and have the same handles etc that allow for seat adjustments. The difference between the 2-row rear comfort seats and the 2nd row seats for X5s optioned with 3 rows is...the 2nd row seats DO NOT articulate upward since there's no 3rd row. They also don't have the padded side bolsters next to the door jamb which also may need to be removed if you're going to attempt a retrofit of the 2nd row seats from a 3 rower X5.

If none of the above makes sense...then you need to do a bit more homework to see how complicated this retrofit may be...or if doable at all. Just to recap...there are 3 different 2nd row seats for the f15 X5....the standard rear seat, the comfort rear seat, and the rear seat used for the 3rd row option.

Good luck.

EDIT: the 2 pics below shows some of the differences between the rear comfort seat and the standard rear seat. Note that the side bolster next to the door jamb for the upper seat cushion is removed for the comfort seats. This allows for the additional handle that articulates the seat forward as well as for access to the 3rd row seats if optioned that way
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-31-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
👆🏽 that's similar to what I was going to say. That would be a huge upgrade. Because the 2nd row sliding seats slide and lock in, which means you would probably have to retrofit 2nd row as well. You'd also need the 2nd row sides, as the ones on a regular 2nd row are different, like they are parts of the seat. 3rd row ones are an abs trim.

That would be a lot of hardware to gather, but anything is possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
BTW, if you have the 2nd row comfort seats...that may be an easier swap since those 2nd row seats do slide forward as well as articulate backwards a few more degrees...and have the same handles etc that allow for seat adjustments. The difference between the 2-row rear comfort seats and the 2nd row seats for X5s optioned with 3 rows is...the 2nd row seats DO NOT articulate upward since there's no 3rd row. They also don't have the padded side bolsters next to the door jamb which also may need to be removed if you're going to attempt a retrofit of the 2nd row seats from a 3 rower X5.
wait... theres a 2nd row comfort seats? was this a separate option from the front comfort seats? i have multi-contour seats in the front aka comfort seats, but dont recall the 2nd row being adjustable other than folding.
      08-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
wait... theres a 2nd row comfort seats? was this a separate option from the front comfort seats? i have multi-contour seats in the front aka comfort seats, but dont recall the 2nd row being adjustable other than folding.
No, they are still the same seats just different setup. 3rd row option only, 2nd row seats slide back and forth plus they can also flip up and forward to allow access to 3rd row. They also have several reclining stops.

Comfort I think it's just a tat bit better, but nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there was an option for rear comfort seats...the option code was:
  • S4FF Comfort Seat In Rear Passenger Compartment

The pic above of the (white) rear comfort seats...also had a description that explains what they can do. The padding is supposedly a tad bit softer, too. You can see in the pic below how the one section can be more reclined than the other:

The handles that allow the 2nd row to move out of the way when there's a 3rd row seat...are used to adjust the rear comfort seats when you have option S4FF installed.
  1. There's a handle on the lower front section to move the seat fore and aft when you pull upward on it
  2. There's a lever on the side of the seat where the top and bottom cushions meet that allows you to fold the upper seat back forward or adjust the incline of the seat back when it is in the upright position
  3. The handle on the top corner of the upper cushion (#20 in the diagram below) also allows you to fold the upper seat back down...or recline it up to 10° further back than the normal seat. (just like the lever mentioned above)
  4. There's another lever at the top of the seat that allows you to move the entire seat section fore and aft (just like the handle on the lower front of the lower seat). If you have 3rd row seats...this lever also articulates the seat upward as it moves forward to allow access to the 3rd row.

In regards to reclining...there's about 4 - 6 lockable recline positions (the exact number escapes me at this time). When I lower my rear seats...I have to make sure that they are locked into place because if they aren't then you'll get a check control warning that the rear seat is NOT SECURE!
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-31-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
TOPEC216.50
      08-31-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

thanks for the info, never realize there was a separate option for rear comfort seats, but prob wouldnt have gotten that option anyways.
      08-31-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info, never realize there was a separate option for rear comfort seats, but prob wouldnt have gotten that option anyways.
No problem…at the time it was an extra $500 for the rear comfort seat option.

Appreciate 0