BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
epandell
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 3 Series, X5d f15

P011A intermittent CEL

I'm wondering if someone can help me find a solution to a check engine light I have on my f15 X5D 3.0. I have an intermittent P011A and I've tried replacing the ECT sensor.

After installing the new sensor it worked for about a week then the light came back on. I tested the voltage at the harness and it's reading 5 volts which I believe is the correct voltage ruling out a harness issue.

Before I order a new sensor and try again has anyone had experience with this issue? I tried looking all over the forums and the only thing I could find was someone replacing their oil cooler as I guess there's another coolant sensor in there? Not sure how accurate this is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #2
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

This is what I find for that code:

The fault is detected if the difference between the coolant temperature before low temperature EGR cooler and the coolant temperature is not between the lower and the upper limit.
Lower limit: -15 K
Upper limit: 15 K

- Coolant temperature sensor before low temperature EGR cooler faulty
- If fault entries relating to the engine coolant temperature sensor are present, the fault of the coolant temperature sensor before low temperature EGR cooler is to be interpreted as a secondary entry.
- N57: Erroneous faults may occur at high loads of more than 3000 rpm because of unintended opening of the changeover valve due to excess pressure.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
Nolimite39
Rep
Drives: BMW X5(s), 335, 540

Did you ever figure out your issue? I've been fighting the same issue. 2015 X35d, 125k miles, P011A intermittently goes on and off on its own for about a month or so now. Seemingly no specific condition to make it do so. Most recently there has been a slight loss of low end pep and fuel consumption has gone through the roof while in city driving. This is evidenced by the range dropping by 3-4 miles in a mile driven and by watching the fuel tank (both gauge and hidden menu). Still getting around 30 highway but on surface streets its very bad. Both coolant temp sensors have been replaced recently not coinciding with the increased consumption. No other P codes, no other issues, AC and heat working properly, Did have a code in ISTA+ for aux coolant pump short but when tested it turns on and off as commanded. EGR recall #1 was done prior to our ownership. EGR Recall #2 still pending resolution from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #4
Nolimite39
Rep
Drives: BMW X5(s), 335, 540

Update: EGR Recall was finally performed. No change to CEL/codes, or behavior.
Appreciate 0