BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Markbebb
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 4d m

Do I need to bother re attaching this?

I noticed a scraping / rubbing noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. Had a poke around behind the disks and this was lose / catching and came off. I think it's part of the dust shield (or what're that bit of metal is behind the disks).[IMG][/IMG]

Do I need to get it re attached?

Thanks
M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Will your truck work without them..yes. But you'll run the risk of generating a lot of brake dust in the wheel well and on your wheels. It's also designed to catch dirt, grime, sand, and salt. Wouldn't want any of that setting on my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I doubt it will create more dust. But why did it fall off is the question? Who worked on your brakes last?
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Rusted rivets...
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
It's also designed to catch dirt, grime, sand, and salt. Wouldn't want any of that setting on my wheels.
That heat shields not gonna stop ANY of the above mentioned from getting onto ur wheels. Ur wheels will get hit no matter what. All that heat shields gonna do is just that, shield suspension components from heat generated by the brakes, not gonna do anything for brake dusts as well... stop spewing out BS.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Quote:
It's also designed to catch dirt, grime, sand, and salt. Wouldn't want any of that setting on my wheels.
That heat shields not gonna stop ANY of the above mentioned from getting onto ur wheels. Ur wheels will get hit no matter what. All that heat shields gonna do is just that, shield suspension components from heat generated by the brakes, not gonna do anything for brake dusts as well... stop spewing out BS.
OK buddy..they're called SPLASH shields for a reason. It's to prevent what's blown from the brake disc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:10 AM   #7
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
OK buddy..they're called SPLASH shields for a reason. It's to prevent what's blown from the brake disc.
The rotors spin... so the centrifugal force will fling what ever is on the rotors out towards... u guessed it! The wheels... the rotors aren’t fully enfapsulated by the heat shields, so at most, it will prevent water splashes for the inboard side of the rotor, but even then, the outboard side is completely exposed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #8
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I doubt it will create more dust. But why did it fall off is the question? Who worked on your brakes last?
BMW worked on it. It's and approved used BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:03 AM   #9
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank makes sense but it's a smaller piece that's come off a bigger piece so why don't they just have a one piece shield? I just assumed the shields were one piece till I found this
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Hey Markbebb - where did you pull that off the car? It does not look like a dust/splash shield to me - the shields on my X5 have an edged that is larger in diameter and follows the curvature of the rotor (think 3/4 of a moon). They are also attached view screws not rivets to the carrier.

On my old track car (E36 M3) I removed the dust shields to help dissipate heat along with attaching a fabricated cooling ducts - links the body to the brakes.

In general, the dust/splash shields *help* to keep rain, rocks and other debris away from the rotor. They are not required per se, but aren't bad to keep in place for street cars.

Based on the photo picture, I still think that came from somewhere other than the brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Clifton; 04-29-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Hey Markbebb - where did you pull that off the car? It does not look like a dust/splash shield to me - the shields on my X5 have an edged that is larger in diameter and follows the curvature of the rotor (think 3/4 of a moon). They are also attached view screws not rivets to the carrier.

On my old track car (E36 M3) I removed the dust shields to help dissipate heat along with attaching a fabricated cooling ducts - links the body to the brakes.

In general, the dust/splash shields *help* to keep rain, rocks and other debris away from the rotor. They are not required per se, but aren't bad to keep in place for street cars.

Based on the photo picture, I still think that came from somewhere other than the brakes.
Quote:

Hi. I pulled it off the dish shield. It was slotted in at the top and felt like it should have been riveted to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Part is from his X5, dust shield made up of two pieces riveted together, see picture from ECS Tuning..
I would get it fixed or replaced.
Only a $50 part, maybe twice as much in labor, if you can't do it yourself.
Mfg Part # 34-11-6-857-978
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
Zita
Registered
Rep

I had the same thing happen to my 2012 35d. Dealer wanted $275 to replace it. I purchased the shield from Sun Motors (where I order most of my BMW parts because of their pricing). It arrived in three days. It only took 45 minutes to replace; including getting my tools out and putting them away again. I only had to remove the wheel and the brake caliper. Don't know if your's is different but I suspect not. I sold that X5 for my new one in 2018 so don't have the receipt anymore but I recall the part was around $40.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #14
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zita View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2012 35d. Dealer wanted $275 to replace it. I purchased the shield from Sun Motors (where I order most of my BMW parts because of their pricing). It arrived in three days. It only took 45 minutes to replace; including getting my tools out and putting them away again. I only had to remove the wheel and the brake caliper. Don't know if your's is different but I suspect not. I sold that X5 for my new one in 2018 so don't have the receipt anymore but I recall the part was around $40.
He won't have to buy a new part..... he has it.

All he needs to do is reattach the part.... which I assume is riveted together.

Looking at the picture, it appears it could affect the air flow (based on the scoop and hole in the vicinity). Regardless, I'd put it back on to the backing/splash plate. I say that as I have a rivet tool and the ability to reattach the piece. Not sure I'd pay someone a hundred bucks to do it. If it's not something OP can do himself, I would give it to guy when he has the front brakes done as they will be there anyway.

Last edited by andrewmr; 04-30-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
He won't have to buy a new part..... he has it.

All he needs to do is reattach the part.... which I assume is riveted together.

Looking at the picture, it appears it could affect the air flow (based on the scoop and hole in the vicinity). Regardless, I'd put it back on to the backing/splash plate. I say that as I have a rivet tool and the ability to reattach the piece. Not sure I'd pay someone a hundred bucks to do it. If it's not something OP can do himself, I would give it to guy when he has the front brakes done as they will be there anyway.
True, straighten it if needed, drill rivets out, and rivet back in place.
Good idea, he could try that first.
Should work unless there is a reason rivets pulled out, and he might have to add washers to the backside to hold it in place, and it might still not seat correctly.
I don't know the reason it broke, I can't see the other part, and personally in those cases I take the easy way out, and just replace the whole part.
In my younger days, I would have tried to rivet it first!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
True, straighten it if needed, drill rivets out, and rivet back in place.
Good idea, he could try that first.
Should work unless there is a reason rivets pulled out, and he might have to add washers to the backside to hold it in place, and it might still not seat correctly.
I don't know the reason it broke, I can't see the other part, and personally in those cases I take the easy way out, and just replace the whole part.
In my younger days, I would have tried to rivet it first!
I hear you.

But we don't know the OP's situation, so I tried to give him a cheaper option.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

My suggestion, check if yours still there.
As far as I remember, the original dust shield doesn't looks like that.
It may be road debris that happened to get stuck.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #18
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Flipped and mirrored OP's piece.
New part might be the wrong side, since I had to mirror OP's piece, but shape looks correct.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Flipped and mirrored OP's piece.
New part might be the wrong side, since I had to mirror OP's piece, but shape looks correct.
Ahh, it is from the rivetted parts. Good eye. Good eye.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #20
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, it is from the riveted parts. Good eye. Good eye.
Thnx, it took me a while to figure it out, find an image that showed it.
I had the same thought you did at first "that's just road debris".
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-01-2019, 02:09 AM   #21
Markbebb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh, it is from the riveted parts. Good eye. Good eye.
Thnx, it took me a while to figure it out, find an image that showed it.
I had the same thought you did at first "that's just road debris".
Thanks for all the replies folks. Its actually under BMW warranty so I could just take it back to them. The cars recently had new pads all round so maybe an over eager tech broke it or the rivets just rusted. Tbh I'll prob just leave it until breaks are due next time or I need a new tyre.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:01 AM   #22
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 x50

Yes most definitely
Appreciate 0