BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #23
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Check under the hood where the cabin filters are. That area looks prime for collecting water. I would remove the filter housing and see if any drains there are clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #24
mpeteritas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH20jy View Post
Do you have a picture of the deteriorates seals? Even there will be no rain in next 6 month, I want to make sure I don't get caught in surprise
Sorry for the delayed reply.

Here is what it looked like all the way around.

Mark
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #25
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

This sunroof draining issue was a pain in the ass, first the water backup corroded the FZD module connectors causing the car alarms to go off randomly. The car insurance covered the replacement of the module (~1k), but not the diagnosis of leak and fix. After it rained, the water used to get accumulated and leak inside through the overhead dome maplight

I took to a local shop and tried few things to clear the damn drain and still the front passenger side was 100% blocked. Finally, I took it to the dealer since several shops recommended that the dealer would be well equipped to fix this correctly.

The 3rd party extended warranty which I have from carchex does not cover the leak.
I have attached work they performed (hopefully, this helps out someone) and now it fully drains. I dare not open the sunroof again.

Name:  20210617_141913.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  161.7 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple555 View Post
This sunroof draining issue was a pain in the ass, first the water backup corroded the FZD module connectors causing the car alarms to go off randomly. The car insurance covered the replacement of the module (~1k), but not the diagnosis of leak and fix. After it rained, the water used to get accumulated and leak inside through the overhead dome maplight

I took to a local shop and tried few things to clear the damn drain and still the front passenger side was 100% blocked. Finally, I took it to the dealer since several shops recommended that the dealer would be well equipped to fix this correctly.

The 3rd party extended warranty which I have from carchex does not cover the leak.
I have attached work they performed (hopefully, this helps out someone) and now it fully drains. I dare not open the sunroof again.

Attachment 2629627
Thank you for the update. Interesting that the leak was (based on the service order) due to a “twisting” of the drain - and not accumulation of debris/dirt. I wonder just how common is this occurrence!? And how did it get twisted? Faulty installation from the factory, or due to driving vibrations -etc. gradually occurred over time.
Appreciate 0